PDA

View Full Version : Bodybuilding | Weighlifting

MattHiggs
04-05-2006, 20:00:31
It's probably not the right place for it but I just thought I'd share my latest fascination. Since as early as I can remember I've always had a thin bodyframe and no matter how much I ate I've never been able to put on any weight.

From the age of 18-21 I worked at a very physical job and I used to eat upwards of 5 meals a day just to keep my energy levels up. When I left to work in an office my appetite didn't halt and despite playing football three to four times a week I start to pile on the pounds around the stomach.

An incident in Leeds over new-year with a dodgy kebab put me off meat forever and I've been a vegetarian for the last 4 months - it was only 'til about 8 weeks ago I took a lot of care into what I was putting into my body and my fitness levels. I decided to start weight training to increase my physique and started to set myself what seemed like impossible goals.

8 weeks have passed now and I've nearly doubled what I can lift in nearly every excercise. I start off on what is called a HST plan (http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html) it was quite tiring and hard to fit into my regular schedule so I needed something a little shorter but something I could do more frequently and I stumbled accross the Max-OT plan http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot.asp?week=1&page=1.

I've so far managed to put a whole 14lbs on in muscle and I'm looking in pretty great shape. I plan to carry on bulking up which involves eating as much protein as possible (whey, soy etc) and trying to eat towards 6 meals per day; which is defintely getting easier now I workout 6 days a week!

Anyway, if anyones interested I can post before/current pictures of the gains I've made and I'll be happy to field any questions if anyone's thinking of getting into shape, training for a run or just wants to eat a little healthier. The benefits are amazing and I've never felt so confident!

I'll post a copy of my routine as well

Monday/Thursday:

Upper Back:
Upright Rows Barbell 3*8
Bent Arm Rows 3*12
Miltary Press 3*8

Chest:
Bench Press 3*12
Press Ups 3*30

Traps:
Shrugs

Tuesday/Friday:

Biceps:
Sit Down Curls 3*8
Arm Curls Barbell 3*6
Arm Curl Revers Grip 3*8

Triceps:
Dips 2*20
Bent Over Tricep Ext 3*8
Tricep Ext 2*8

Shoulders:
Barbell Front Raise 3*8
Military Press 3*8
Side Raise 2*6

Wrist:
Wrist Ext Barbell 2*8

Wednesday/Saturday:

Legs:
Squats 2*12
Lunges 1*12
Calf Raises 2*15

Abs:
Weighted Sit-ups 3*12
Leg Raises 3*12

Compound:
Dead Lifts 3*15

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-05-2006, 20:51:55
Pity post

JM^3
04-05-2006, 21:50:49
I am getting into weights again, but am not as serious as you

also, I want to lose 30 lbs

So far I just did a bit of front upper legs, rear upper legs, biceps, back, shoulders, and pecs

And it has been 48 hours since (everything but the pecs) and I am really sore

I will probably try to do some tonight, before I return to Maryland

once I get in a bit better shape I will start doing freeweights again, right now I use the machines

I have never been in good shape, I lose shape easily and take a long time to get it back..

I have recently switched from lacto-ovo vegeterrian to vegan, but I am interested in eating more protien also (I just got some wrap which are ~38% protein)

Jon Miller

MoSe
05-05-2006, 07:56:39
Originally posted by MattHiggs
no matter how much I ate I've never been able to put on any weight
:shoot: fucking bastard :bash:

MattHiggs
05-05-2006, 08:05:20
It all ended when I hit 22; my metabolism slowed down.

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-05-2006, 16:40:17
You know, I could have sworn you were heterosexual.

MattHiggs
05-05-2006, 17:01:19
Well I am, so stop sending me those PMs!

Lazarus and the Gimp
05-05-2006, 18:19:05
I'm about as familiar with the inside of a gym as the average Carmelite nun is with a big, straining erection.

MattHiggs
01-06-2006, 20:30:33
Just thought I'd subject you to some pictures of the gains I've made in the last 13 weeks.

Remember I'm more than happt to answer any questions regarding diet, cutting, bulking, weightloss, weightgain, beginner workouts, form etc..

March 2006
(Crap diet, played football once a week and did the odd pushup and situp)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/beforeback.jpg

June 2006
(Max OT: 6 times per week. Football on a Saturday and cardio at the gym twice a week)
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/01062006sml.jpg

LoD
01-06-2006, 20:47:01
It all ended when I hit 22; my metabolism slowed down.

Same here :cry:.

alsieboo
01-06-2006, 21:02:10
Aaah, I was hoping you'd post pics. No good from the back though ;)

Frozen Frog
01-06-2006, 21:21:22
Even your hair is more muscular.

Koyaanisqatsi
01-06-2006, 21:22:57
I could do that if I had a good enough chemist.

Frozen Frog
01-06-2006, 21:25:44
I could do that if i still had hair.

Drekkus
02-06-2006, 11:35:36
That's pretty impressive, Higgs. I've been training for some time now, but just once or twice a week, which is not enough. Plus I have a psychological barrier with using extra proteins. I've taken the occasional protein shake at the fitnessclub, but buying pots of the stuff to take at home, is just a bit too much for me.

mr_G
02-06-2006, 13:05:58
:lol: now ^that's funny.

Japher
02-06-2006, 13:08:40
Dekkus works out?!:lol:

ok

me too!

mr_G
02-06-2006, 13:09:16
:lol: now ^that's funnier.

mr_G
02-06-2006, 13:12:08
Originally posted by alsieboo
Aaah, I was hoping you'd post pics. No good from the back though ;) okay just for Bells
http://bleeding-heart.net/bfw/montages/layouts/layoutvsexy.jpg

mr_G
02-06-2006, 13:14:49
now show us your chest

Japher
02-06-2006, 13:15:43
the back is fine
but he's got a terrible case of the man boobs!

mr_G
02-06-2006, 13:16:44
jealous J?

alsieboo
02-06-2006, 13:42:37
Originally posted by mr_G
okay just for Bells
http://bleeding-heart.net/bfw/montages/layouts/layoutvsexy.jpg

omg I love him

RedFred
02-06-2006, 14:24:07
When I was running seriously I was in the gym a couple times a week, but now I am lucky to get there once a week. I go more for the cardio gizmos than the weights, so I'll never be a muscle man.

My gym is on a core strength kick. They have bought a bunch of wierd looking apparatus for the back, tummy etc. It always keeps you guessing which strange muscles I never knew I had before are going to be hurting.

Sir Penguin
02-06-2006, 16:23:54
Bodybuilding | Weighlifting = Wom⌂j}inting

SP

LoD
02-06-2006, 17:50:03
:lol:

:nervous:

devilmunchkin
02-06-2006, 19:59:25
don't take this the wrong way, matt, but you are developing an hourglass figure. good job tho.
how do females make their stomach not poke out?

MattHiggs
02-06-2006, 20:56:07
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
don't take this the wrong way, matt, but you are developing an hourglass figure. good job tho.
how do females make their stomach not poke out?

Try and include more protein in your diet as it requires more energy to digest. Eating 100 calories of protein will only actually work out as a net intake of 72 calories. Carbs are much less, around 4%, so you are taking a lot more calories onboard and if they're not used they'll be stored as fat.

It's a common mis-conception that you can lose weight in certain areas; such as thighs, bum, stomach etc... This isn't true at all and weight will come of proportionally has been previously gained.

I'd recommend cardio work. A lot of people don't like running so something like a cross trainer is excellent. I'd say at least 3 times a week and 30 minutes minimum - eventually try and increase this to 6 times.

Light weights and lots of reps are great for toning the body. Don't worry about getting 'huge' it takes a hell of a lot of surplus calories and lifting heavier and heavier weights to do this. You may get a tiny increase in muscle mass but this will be beneficial in burning extra calories even when you are resting.

MattHiggs
02-06-2006, 21:01:11
Oh and the hour glass figure is intended for the moment. I'm in a stage called bulking; this requires eating A LOT of calories for months to increase overall muscle mass. After this you move onto cutting, where you eat around 1800 calories and 180 grams of protein per day. The protein is essential to stop the muscles going into a catabolic state. Any fat that is left on the body soon feeds the remaining muscle giving a body fat percentage of around 8%.

I've still got a way to go yet as I've hardly got any fat around my body but it's hard stuffing my body with 6 meals a day!

KrazyHorse@home
02-06-2006, 21:11:35
I've been lifting about twice a week for 5 months, and running 3-4 times a week for 6 months. I'm not really trying to get big; It's just that I didn't want to end up with a "runner's body", and it was starting to happen...

http://mmcevoy.googlepages.com/DSCF0006.JPG/DSCF0006-full.jpg

KrazyHorse@home
02-06-2006, 21:12:08
http://mmcevoy.googlepages.com/DSCF0003.JPG/DSCF0003-full.jpg

KrazyHorse@home
02-06-2006, 21:25:08
Usually I do (in order):

Dumbbell bench press: 2X6
Bent over rows: 2X6
Seated dumbbell shoulder press: 2X6
Wide-grip pull-down: 2X8
Pec fly (machine): 2X8
Dumbbell lateral raises: 2X8
Triceps press (cable): 2X6
Biceps curl (dumbbell): 2X6
Dumbbell shrug: 2X8
Weighted decline (head down) situps and twisting situps until I collapse (50 -70?)

KrazyHorse@home
02-06-2006, 21:28:02
No lower body exercises other than running. My legs are already strong as hell.

mr_G
02-06-2006, 22:02:18
what's that tattoo KG, somekinda formula or some maths sjit?
it rocks

Oerdin
02-06-2006, 22:03:18
Originally posted by LoD
Same here :cry:.

I made it to about 25 where I could eat just about anything and stay thin then I hate the wall. It didn't help that I stopped working out around that time and I got a better job so I had more money for things like eating out or trips to the pub.

KrazyHorse@home
02-06-2006, 23:46:49
Originally posted by mr_G
what's that tattoo KG, somekinda formula or some maths sjit?
it rocks

The Sylow group theorems (math stuff)

JM^3
03-06-2006, 02:22:39
it is one of the most badass tat ever

one of my exroomates also has a good one:
F=MA

JM

JM^3
03-06-2006, 02:23:20
right now I would cause people to lose their lunch

maybe in another year

JM

Greg W
03-06-2006, 02:33:25
Originally posted by KrazyHorse@home
The Sylow group theorems (math stuff) Allright, I'll ask... Why?

JM^3
03-06-2006, 02:36:35
I always thought it was P Sylow group theorems..

they are cool mathematics

JM

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 02:50:43
Well, technically the first theorem is not only about p-sylow groups. Only the second two are.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 03:00:33
Oh, and fuck that 6 meals a day bullshit.

I eat 2-3 times a day, meat at every meal (usually chicken breast, tuna or lean meat chili, sometimes steak and hamburger).

Koyaanisqatsi
03-06-2006, 03:34:21
Originally posted by JM^3
it is one of the most badass tat ever

one of my exroomates also has a good one:
F=MA

JM
Please tell me it's across his knuckles.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 03:52:30
:lol:

devilmunchkin
03-06-2006, 05:28:29
i've also heard fiber is good for shedding pounds (like protein vs carbs). any truth to it.
that may be part of my problem. I <3 carbs.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 05:52:48
A large amount of fiber in your diet will prevent you from metabolising some small percentage of the food energy you intake, but eating more fiber is not the way to go to lose weight.

When I first started running I was eating ~100 grams of protein, 40 grams of fat and 250 grams of carbohydrates every day for a grand total of ~1800 calories a day while running ~3 miles every day and doing no strength training. I lost ~15 pounds in 8 weeks, dropping from 165 pounds (at 5'11) to 150 pounds. Then I added in strength training and stepped up to ~130 grams protein, 70 grams fat and 350 grams carbohydrates daily for a total of ~2600 calories a day. With strength training and running this just barely tends to increase my weight (~1/4 pound a week). I'm very slowly losing fat and gaining muscle slightly more quickly.

Losing weight is a function of stepping up your metabolic rate with exercise while dropping your caloric intake. The reason protein is so important is that when you decrease your overall food intake you tend to decrease your protein intake. Combine this with the additional stress you're placing on your body with exercise and you have a recipe for undernourishing your muscles and associated tissues (tendons, ligaments, etc). Keeping up your protein intake is the best way to allow yourself to recuperate more quickly and therefore train harder. The other thing to keep in mind with carbohydrates is that a large intake of simple carbohydrates in a single sitting (~50 grams or more) will create what's called an insulin spike and send your body into anabolic (tissue building) rather than catabolic (tissue burning) mode. If you eat fewer calories, but consume them as simple carbohydrates in large doses (note that "large dose" here means about a can and a half of soda) then what will happen is that outside the periods of insulin spikes you will lack a readily available source of energy, and will therefore go into a bit of a metabolic slowdown. Therefore, more smaller meals with more focus on complex versus simple carbohydrates will serve you better.

In summary (and in order of importance):

1) Exercise regularly. For aerobic exercise get your heart rate up to at least 150, preferably 160 and keep it there for at least 15 minutes at a time. For strength training do whatever you feel like doing, or skip it.

2) Eat less.

3) Eat more protein. Eat less fat. Eat more complex carbohydrates versus simple carbohydrates. Eat more often.

4) Sleep regularly. Otherwise you will tire yourself out.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 06:06:55
By the way, I can't emphasise the heart rate part of number 1 enough. WALKING IS BARELY AN AEROBIC EXERCISE. The key thing is to get yourself doing enough aerobic exercise so that your body starts to undergo what's called the "training effect". When you exercise at your target heart rate for enough time every week your metabolic rate is increased even when you're not exercising. Your heart beats harder, you breathe more deeply and in general every system in your body is more active. This causes you to run through energy more quickly, even if you decrease your food intake. Walking is not strenuous enough to achieve this, except in extremely large volumes.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 06:12:58
It should hurt when you run. Every time.

BigGameHunter
03-06-2006, 07:28:14
What about my...errr...friend...yeah, friend, who is probably 40 lbs. overweight, smokes, doesn't exercise and would eat mayonnaise and crisco out of the jar if he thought no one was looking?
He's afraid he'll have a heart attack and die if he does anything overly strenuous.
Where's the link to the "gradually ramped" program that will restore bodily order without massive cardiac arrest?

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 14:10:21
a) Talk to your doctor. I'm serious. He should be able to tell you what sort of time scale to work with regarding your introductory program.

b) You should start with walking and work your way up to a jog. After 10-12 weeks of conditioning you should be able to start administering yourself aerobic fitness tests. Do not take one before that. Once you can run a mile and a half in under 15 minutes you're probably ready to start really training. Start walking for 20-30 minutes at a time, at a pace which leaves you feeling exercised (breathing deeply etc) but not weak or dizzy. Gradually increase the speed and duration of your walks over the course of those 10-12 weeks.

c) The older you get the lower your target heart rate is. 160 is for 25 year olds. There are charts to help you determine your target heart rate.

d) Warm up and cool down. The most dangerous moments are when you start and when you stop vigorous exercise. Warmup and cooldown should be at 80% intensity, so if you're running, walking is generally insufficient to warm you up or cool you down properly

I'm 26 and was always in okay shape, so I didn't need time to acclimatise to doing exercise.

Oh, and I'm not a doctor or a fitness expert, so you should probably disregard everything I just said. Talking to your doctor is the most important thing. He can give you advice more tailored to your current fitness level than I can.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 14:22:30
As far as strength training goes, there are far fewer dangers. Don't try to lift anything ridiculously heavy your first few times out. You should be experimenting during this period to see how much you can lift with proper form. You shouldn't have to jerk weights into place when you lift. That makes exercises less effective and more dangerous. Movements should always be smooth and steady. After you have some idea of your current capabilities you should be able to guess at how many repetitions you'll be able to do on each exercise with a given weight. The important thing to remember is:

4-6 repetitions per set: brute strength, some muscle growth. Weightlifters train in this range or with even lower repetitions.

8-12 repetitions per set: some strength, some muscular endurance, largest muscle growth. Bodybuilders train in this range.

14-20 repetitions per set: muscular endurance, minimal muscle growth

20+ repetitions per set: limited muscular benefit. Almost aerobic conditioning

If you're doing two sets of 6 repetitions on a particular exercise, then the last repetition on the second set should be virtually impossible. If you want to do 2X6 and you finish the second set with minimal difficulty then it's time to move up the amount of resistance.

EDIT: didn't notice a couple of typos before

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 14:27:47
By the way, the first couple of times you lift you will hurt like crazy the next few days. Not sharp pain, but a dull ache every time you move. After you get used to regular strength training you will still get next day soreness, but it changes slightly (hard to describe) and becomes more tolerable.

Drekkus
03-06-2006, 14:32:31
So how many times a week should you train a muscle group? How much rest do they need to recover?

And how the hell do you putt together a diet based on those grams divided in fat, protein and carbs? I think I need more protein, but how do I work that into my diet. At work the choices of foods are limited, and I'm not going to bring my own foods to work, that's just too much.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 14:47:27
When you're first starting you'll be able to train each muscle 3 times a week. Later on you will need to drop that to twice a week or even a little bit lower (I go every 4 days generally). As you train you are able to bring more of your strength to bear (as a percentage of total strength) so recovery times are longer since there's more trauma to the muscles.

As for diet, chicken breast is your friend. So is tuna. When I was on a low-calorie diet I was eating one of those two things as the major part of virtually all my meals. As a side dish I would have rice with vegetables or a pasta with a tomato sauce. Or, when I wanted to eat something slightly more complicated I would eat shrimp pasta with pesto sauce and grated parmiggiana reggiano cheese (which is a delicious meal, but still ridiculously healthy).

Honestly, I only eat out maybe once a week or so. Everything else I prepare for myself. I tend to cook 3 days of food at a time, so that I'm not stuck looking for something to snack on.

So yes, you should bring your own lunch to work. Or, just eat something very small from the cafeteria and eat your real meals at breakfast and dinner. You never know what you're getting when somebody else prepares your food.

devilmunchkin
03-06-2006, 17:01:44
what about power walking? i do that (plus yoga) 4 times a week and i'm sweating by the time i get back

now i feel guilty eating bagels

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 17:27:17
Take your heart rate while you're power walking. If it's 120 then you aren't doing much. If it's 160 then you're doing fine.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 17:32:40
Most people don't exercise hard enough when doing aerobics. When I'm through 3 miles my lungs are raw, my heart is pounding all through my body, I'm red as a beet and my legs are shaky. I'm not myself again for 20-30 minutes.

Running, swimming and biking are the holy trio of aerobic conditioning. I would be very surprised if your power walking gets you to your target heart rate.

devilmunchkin
03-06-2006, 17:36:33
i probably will have to start hitting the gym then when i get back into school.
i'm 97-98 lbs atm tho...don't want to overdo it.

Oerdin
03-06-2006, 17:36:49
It depends on what your looking for. Max speed training or endurance training. Speed training will help your endurance but at the end of the day if you want to run marathons then you'd better be logging some serious miles and pacing yourself.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 17:43:04
Even marathon runners do most of their training in 2-3 mile stretches.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 17:44:47
5 k is just about as far as a human being can run at his aerobic capacity, which makes it a useful distance to run in order to train VO2max. Even though they drop 10-15% off their 5 k pace in order to run marathons, they train at the shorter distance to aerobically condition.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 17:47:51
The difference is that 5 k runners will occasionally run shorter intervals (400-800 meters) during their training in order to improve their speed, while the marathon runners' intervals are on the order of 1600 meters or so.

JM^3
03-06-2006, 18:46:46
hmm, so I am ready to start really training?

JM

JM^3
03-06-2006, 18:55:14
When I use the cardio machines my Heart Rate is generally at arround 160 after a few minutes..

But I am generally not panting hard or red faced at the end of 30 minutes, I do sweat a bit though.

Jon Miller

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 19:35:59
Weird. I keep my heart rate between 160 and 170 the whole time I run, and after 18 minutes or so I'm spent.

KrazyHorse@home
03-06-2006, 19:36:41
What's your resting heart rate, Jon? Mine's around 52

JM^3
03-06-2006, 21:28:02
I will measure it tomorrow morning...

When I am pushing hard (which I have rarely done since my blood pressure issues, as I don't want a heart attack or stroke) my heart rate goes up to 190+, and after some minutes of that I am spent (probably less then 18).

JM

JM^3
03-06-2006, 21:29:05
This is both times I run outside and times I use the cardio machines..

And it was true from before my blood pressure issues.

JM

Oerdin
04-06-2006, 02:21:23
Even marathon runners do most of their training in 2-3 mile stretches.

It seems like a lot of 3 mile runs are the beginning mixed in with some really long runs.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html

KrazyHorse@home
04-06-2006, 04:54:14
The longer runs provide some lactic threshold conditioning, but you can't simply run the longer distances. Aerobic conditioning is too important to neglect, so even elite marathon runners will run mainly middle distances while training (though they will generally do so more than once a day). They then also add in some longer distances, but aerobic conditioning must always be done over 2-3 mile stretches.

Chris
04-06-2006, 06:05:54
All this talk of good health is disgusting.

JM^3
04-06-2006, 16:32:50
Shortly afte rwaking, my heart rate was ~50.

JM

BigGameHunter
04-06-2006, 19:41:03
Mine was 375.

Is that bad?

JM^3
04-06-2006, 19:48:03
You have to be joking..

375 beats per minute?

Are you on crack?

JM

BigGameHunter
04-06-2006, 19:57:32
I am kidding.
Slightly hung over today...humor device malfunctioning.

JM^3
04-06-2006, 20:02:40
Well, I know that you occasionally have used before. And increased heart rate is an effect of speed (amphetamines).

I don't know to what degree.

Jon Miller

KrazyHorse@home
04-06-2006, 23:05:50
Not to that degree, jon. I doubt any human heart has ever reached 375

The highest I've ever gotten mine to go was 225 (doing wind sprints)

JM^3
05-06-2006, 00:13:19
Drugs can have powerful effects. Read the effects of mixing Exctasy and some uncommon drug (I think it started with a R).

Using some cardio machines I did a fitness test thing today (Besides my normal cardio). I came out with a VO2max of 45.4 .

Jon Miller

KrazyHorse@home
05-06-2006, 01:14:57
45.4 is actually pretty good.

KrazyHorse@home
05-06-2006, 01:17:00
I'm at about 57 or so, based on the 12 minute test.

JM^3
05-06-2006, 01:21:46
Based on the 12 minute test from 3 weeks ago, it is about 42.5.

So the 45.4 is probably reasonable.

JM

devilmunchkin
05-06-2006, 03:57:01
i worked out alot yesterday..i'm drained today and my calf muscles ache. it's a good ache tho. i think you are right about the protein

BigGameHunter
05-06-2006, 17:12:17
I'm just going to work out vicariously through you freaks, eat pork rinds and potstickers and die young, albeit very happy.

devilmunchkin
05-06-2006, 19:16:45
potstickers are sooo good.
my calves ache worse..why are they worse 2 days after the fact? I'm trying to push through it and walk. granted i can't power walk...i'm good to just put one foot in front of the other.

i think part of what i need to do is 1)no comfort eating and 2)stop eating so many carbs. i love breads and pastas. bad bad.

JM^3
05-06-2006, 19:32:17
After really working muscles I was not use to working, my body felt the worse on the third day after the workout. (or in the case in question, spelunking trip)

I also love breads and pastas, I think that and cheese (and sweets) are the bad things in my diet.

JM

devilmunchkin
05-06-2006, 19:36:34
the thing is i work those particular muscles alot. maybe it's just i worked them harder than normal..

JM^3
05-06-2006, 19:43:45
Yeah, if it is still sore, you might want to go get a massage or something.

JM

Ginfizwithatwist
05-06-2006, 23:22:09
target heart rate calculation:
220 - your age. gives you a MAX target heart rate.
Gyms tend to use 80% of that as the optimum calorie burning rate and it also give a 20% buffer zone to protect the heart. (for the non superfit)
If you find running on the flat a serious problem in the beginning then walking on a slope with a min of 12-16% gradient at a brisk pace (3.4 -4.2 mph) will be a good starting point increasing speed and gradient as you need to- the work load provided by the slope will provide the resistance part of training.

JM^3
05-06-2006, 23:25:20
I have also thought, DM, maybe you aren't eating right?

That coul dmake it take longer for your muscles to repair..

JM

Diss
06-06-2006, 08:29:38
:lol: sorry, I just find a math tattoo funny.

So how do you get your protein levels up? I think I'm just not getting enough potein. I don't want to eat that much meat (I can't cook anyways). As I don't want all the cholesterol. I don't give a shit about heart attacks, I just heard clogging up the arteries can also clog up blood veins you know where. I'd rather have a rock hard cock, than be big and buff. :D

Diss
06-06-2006, 08:32:29
another problem I have is my shoulder (right one) starts hurting after working out hard. I haven't worked out the past 2 weeks because of it. I'm not sure why. Maybe bad form or something.

And it's not like my workouts are that intense. I only work out 4 days a week. Stair stepper 2 times a weeks. And dumbell curls, a chest exersize I do with the dumbells (at least I hope it's helping my chest), pushups, situp crunches, this lateral type thing I do with the dumbells I think improves my sides and back, and a couple tricep exercises. I do those 2 times a week with about 47 hours of rest in between.

MattHiggs
06-06-2006, 18:46:27
To answer Diss' diet question here is a list of great food:

Meat, Poultry and Fish
Extra Lean Ground Sirloin
Boneless Chicken Breasts
Mild Turkey Sausage
Ostrich
Bison (Buffalo)
Elk
Salmon

Dairy
Fat Free Milk
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt

Eggs
Omega-3 Eggs
Egg Whites

Cheese
Aged White Cheddar
Baby Swiss
Havarti
Parmiggiano-Reggiano (Parmesan)
Feta Cheese

Fruit
Apples
Tangerines
Red Grapes
Pineapple
Strawberries
Blueberries

Vegetables
Spinach
Peppers
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Baby Carrots

Sauces and Condiments
Pesto
Peanut Satay Sauce
Curry Sauce
Tomato Pasta Sauce
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
Raspberry Vinegar
Red Wine Vinegar
Balsamic Vinegar

Pantry Items
Rolled Oats
Mixed Nuts
Dried Fruit Mix
Legumes
Whole Wheat Pasta
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Green Tea

Extras
Ground Flax
Wheat Germ

MattHiggs
06-06-2006, 18:53:45
Originally posted by Diss
another problem I have is my shoulder (right one) starts hurting after working out hard. I haven't worked out the past 2 weeks because of it. I'm not sure why. Maybe bad form or something.

And it's not like my workouts are that intense. I only work out 4 days a week. Stair stepper 2 times a weeks. And dumbell curls, a chest exersize I do with the dumbells (at least I hope it's helping my chest), pushups, situp crunches, this lateral type thing I do with the dumbells I think improves my sides and back, and a couple tricep exercises. I do those 2 times a week with about 47 hours of rest in between.

Firstly you should really base your workouts on compound movements. It's quite unlikely you'll be able to lift enough weight with your bisceps to send them into hypertrophy so there won't be many gains.

You should concentrate primarily on:

Bench Press
Squat
Dead Lift
Pull Ups
Dips
Shoulder Press
Bent Over Row

Any isolation excercises are useless and these compound movements incorporate many muscle groups.

The shoulder injury could be due to bad form, again I'd concentrate on compound excerises and perfecting form. A lot of shoulder injuries are usually Rotator Cuff related. Try doing the following (It's worked on me and many, many, many people!)

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement--a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back--STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY--this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way---i want 50 reps each time you do this--one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)--the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight--do all of this carefully/slowly---dont just whip it over and back---if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)--again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully--push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back--your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise--Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can---sometimes I have people do it every single day---but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks--also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions--start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter--really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here--trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering "fuck you dante" after you get to your 25th revolution--Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees ---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)

http://random-m.com/images/154351425_stretch_stick_overhead.gif

It looks impossible, but it's a lot easier to start with a ery wide grip and decrease as time goes by.

devilmunchkin
06-06-2006, 18:56:21
jm: i don't know. I thought i ate healthy and i also take multivitamins, calcium citrate and sometimes extra iron. My diet is high in jello (>.>), fruits, yogurts,starches. i might not be eating as much meat as i should and possibly veggies. but overall, it's decently healthy.

MattHiggs
06-06-2006, 19:00:16
Try and make a diary of what you eat over the next week and also any exercise you do. I'll take a look at it and try and suggest some improvements.

devilmunchkin
06-06-2006, 19:03:09
well...there will be things you won't like. sometimes i'm known to skip meals or eat cereal for dinner when i don't want a big dinner. so no flipping out. like last night i had two pieces of toast with margerine and a few twizzlers for a snack a little later.

devilmunchkin
06-06-2006, 20:35:12
since my family is driving in, i had already planned out a menu anyway:
This morning:75% of a lemon poopy seed muffin, little bowl of corn pops, water
lunch:turkey/cheese sandwich (light mayo),1 cup strawberries
dinner:corn,ham steak

7th:
breakfast: bowl of fruit loops
lunch:sandwich, 1 cup strawberries
dinner:Chinese food: Orange chicken, either noodles or fried rice

8th:
breakfast:either cereal or i might splurge and eat a bagel.
lunch:sandwich, maybe crackers
dinner:lasagna,salad with fat free ranch dressing (probably romain (sp?) lettuce, garlic bread

9th:
breakfast:same old same old
lunch:same
dinner: pasta with alfredo sauce, corn

10th:
breakfast: *yawn*
lunch:*stretch*
dinner: teryaki chicken, potatoes, corn

periodic snacks and deserts:twizzlers, yogurt, jelly beans, sherbert, and i intend to make some brownies before the end of the week

JM^3
06-06-2006, 20:42:37
I have been semi following the Eat to Live Diet.

The Key point of it is to eat ~1 lb of fresh veggies, lots of frozen veggies, several servings of beans, a little bit of nuts (1 handful), and 4ish fruits as well as a little bit of whole grains.

I haven't been following it perfectly, but when I was following it better I got healthier quickly (lost weight quickly in my case, not what you are looking for).

Here is an example of an average day:
Daily Meals:
Meal 1:
2 Oranges
Meal 2 (late):
rest of curry + rice
rice was three servings, curry was less than the other two times
Meal 3:
3 peices of sweat bread (curses)
Meal 3 (late):
tossed iceberg salad
handful of pecans
protein wrap x2
small bag of misc veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (came fresh, I put them in the microwave))
Meal 4:
was alseep before leaving to visit friends!

Jon Miller

JM^3
06-06-2006, 20:43:42
Looking at your diet, I wuold suggest more veggies.

JM

KrazyHorse@home
06-06-2006, 21:12:24
Any isolation excercises are useless

Not completely true. I find that it's nice to start out with the compound exercises, and then as you get slightly more tired to go into the isolation movements. I don't know about you, but after 2 sets each of bench, bent-over rows, shoulder press and pull-down I'm starting to lose the energy I need for the compound movements. The isolation exercises take less whole body effort so they're easier to accomplish when fatigued.

The shoulder injury could be due to bad form, again I'd concentrate on compound excerises and perfecting form. A lot of shoulder injuries are usually Rotator Cuff related. Try doing the following (It's worked on me and many, many, many people!)

The pull-down (or pull-up/chin-up) are some of the most stressful exercises for the shoulder (especially the wider grip ones which target the latissimus dorsi). One very important thing to watch when doing these exercises is that you keep your shoulders tight to your body rather than relaxing them and allowing them to be pulled up and out.

KrazyHorse@home
06-06-2006, 21:19:51
Here's what I ate yesterday (lifting day):

1) Glass of orange juice in the morning

Lift (11 am)

2) Immediately after: bottle of grapefruit juice (400 ml)
6 ounces of pork loin (no breading, grilled)
2/3 of a pack of starburst candy

3) Around 3 pm: rest of starburst
6 ounces pork loin
10 ounces steak (ribeye, grilled)
3 ears of corn on the cob

4) Around 11 pm: 2 apples

KrazyHorse@home
06-06-2006, 21:23:23
Conversions: 6 ounces = 170 g
10 ounces = 284 g

devilmunchkin
06-06-2006, 22:04:48
hmm..one thing i try to do is not eat after a certain time of night. they say try not to eat 4 hours before you go to bed.

and you're right, the veggie department is where i'm seriously flawed. Any one eat oatmeal during winter months? i tend to. I also eat lots of soups. The menu is actually alot heavier in dinner foods than I normally eat. Especially in summer because i like to eat lightweight/cold foods.

KrazyHorse@home
06-06-2006, 23:04:27
Today:

1) Noon: 12 ounces pork loin
2) 6 pm: pasta with tomato sauce
2 beers
3) Probably around 8 pm: 6 ounces ribeye steak

JM^3
06-06-2006, 23:08:08
noon:
peas
1 large burrito (beans, cheese, veggies, shell)
large Orange Juice

6 pmish
1 Latte (or Mocha maybe?)
1 Blueberry Muffin

Later:
1 bag of frozen veggies
1 spoonful of flax seed
1 banana?

Jon Miller

JM^3
06-06-2006, 23:10:13
I have actually been keeping a diary of what I eat (ever since I decided to Diet).

I am not good pretty much daily, but it isn't a daily not good, more like one not good snack or something.

JM

devilmunchkin
06-06-2006, 23:38:19
what is flax seed?

KrazyHorse@home
07-06-2006, 00:21:12
Shit. Make that 7 beers.

KrazyHorse@home
07-06-2006, 00:22:23
what is flax seed?

Just a grain that's supposed to be really good for yo. I th doens;t taste too bad either.

KrazyHorse@home
07-06-2006, 00:23:18
Ow. My lats and my anterior deltoids hurt.

JM^3
07-06-2006, 03:25:47
Flax seed is the best vegeterrian source of Omega 3s, which is good for your joints and memory.

Fish is also a good source for it.

JM

Chris
07-06-2006, 06:40:46
Oh yeah?

Today I:

Got up
Farted
scratched my ass
Took a leak
went back to bed.

Now THAT'S a workout.

King_Ghidra
07-06-2006, 08:42:54
what is flax seed?

A herb you can harvest in Oblivion. Alchemy FTW.

Tizzy
07-06-2006, 08:46:10
I'm trying to lose weight just now and keeping a food & exercise diary really helps.
I use it partly for keeping track of how many calories I'm taking in but it's also a deterrent to eating things I shouldn't, as I'd have to write them down.

shagnasty
07-06-2006, 08:49:09
Mrs nasty feeds me really well. I nearly always get a yummy quite healthy dinner when I get home. The trouble starts when I have my lunch at work. I try to have the healthy snack type jobbies (nutrigrain bars and such like) along with a bit of fruit. But then I go and fuck it all up with loads of butter in my samiches (mostly with fillings), crisps and a can or 2 of Red Bull every now and then.

Yesterday for example:

0600hrs
Brekkie: 3 weetabix + semi-skimmed milk
2 slices of toast with yummy butter
1 large glass of O.J.
1 Muller yoghurt drinkie.
1000hrs
Snack: Steak crisps (50gm)
Fruit n Fibre bar (25gm)
Nutrigrain raisin bake
1300hrs
Lunch: 4 slices of toast with yummy butter (normally samiches)
Nutrigrain bar - Cherry
Muller healthy corner yoghurt
2000hrs
Dinner: Haddock in butter sauce with roast spuds and steamed veg.
3 cans of Grolsch (Well I can't leave it laying about now can I.)

I have started to exercise a bit more to. Just bought one of the lower model air walkers. I try and do about 20-30 mins each morning, and soon I shall hopefully have new mountain bike and I shall then cycle to work for a bit of a cardio work-out.

Drekkus
07-06-2006, 10:26:29
Here's what I ate yesterday (lifting day):

1) Glass of orange juice in the morning

Lift (11 am)

2) Immediately after: bottle of grapefruit juice (400 ml)
6 ounces of pork loin (no breading, grilled)
2/3 of a pack of starburst candy

3) Around 3 pm: rest of starburst
6 ounces pork loin
10 ounces steak (ribeye, grilled)
3 ears of corn on the cob

4) Around 11 pm: 2 apples What's with the pork? I thought beef, chicken and fish were higher on protein than pork?

Funko
07-06-2006, 12:06:01
Pork tastes good.

Nills Lagerbaak
07-06-2006, 12:14:08
Pork is good.

Although with that red meat intensive diet, you wanna make sure the imovable contents of your colon are purged otherwise you're talking bowel cancer.

Greg W
07-06-2006, 12:25:57
Get some pork on your fork!

Tizzy
07-06-2006, 12:26:22
Pork off!

KrazyHorse@home
07-06-2006, 13:08:47
Originally posted by Drekkus
What's with the pork? I thought beef, chicken and fish were higher on protein than pork?

I bought a bunch of pork when it was on sale.

KrazyHorse@home
07-06-2006, 13:09:17
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Pork is good.

Although with that red meat intensive diet, you wanna make sure the imovable contents of your colon are purged otherwise you're talking bowel cancer.

Pork isn't a red meat.

MattHiggs
16-09-2006, 18:14:02
Just thought I'd do a little picture update. I've just come back from a 6 week break as the college gym was closed and we're moving house so I've packed my weights bench away. I curbed the eating and I've been cycling to work each day and playing football every week.

I'm quite satisfied with my progress so far but I'm going to spend this Autumn and Winter bulking and putting on as much weight/muscle as possible. In the Spring I'll be on my cutting cycle ready for a nice summer!

March:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/march06.jpg

Now:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/sept06.jpg

Chris
16-09-2006, 18:42:32
How fit is Higgsy?

MattHiggs
16-09-2006, 18:47:39
I'm fucking a hedgehog.... as the doctor advised.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-09-2006, 18:57:39
Today:

1) Noon: 12 ounces pork loin
2) 6 pm: pasta with tomato sauce
2 beers
3) Probably around 8 pm: 6 ounces ribeye steak

You definitely need more fibre.

devilmunchkin
19-09-2006, 05:39:12
you need more water. you're going to kill your kidneys

mr_G
19-09-2006, 09:50:05
Just thought I'd do a little picture update. I've just come back from a 6 week break as the college gym was closed and we're moving house so I've packed my weights bench away. I curbed the eating and I've been cycling to work each day and playing football every week.

I'm quite satisfied with my progress so far but I'm going to spend this Autumn and Winter bulking and putting on as much weight/muscle as possible. In the Spring I'll be on my cutting cycle ready for a nice summer!

March:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/march06.jpg

Now:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/mattjhiggs/sept06.jpg
the comparison with Vin really got to you hah?

King_Ghidra
19-09-2006, 10:52:08
I've just had a great wank looking at those pictures matt, thanks.

Funko
19-09-2006, 11:06:19
You and all the other posters on the gay message boards I posted them on.

Chris
19-09-2006, 12:30:06
I'm sure you had the URLs bookmarked.

Funko
19-09-2006, 12:32:27
Yeah, thanks for that e-mail Chris. I'd never have found most of them.

Chris
19-09-2006, 12:34:22
If it makes you stoip sending me nude shots of yourself, it was worth it.

Funko
19-09-2006, 12:37:59
You know I'll never stoip.

Chris
19-09-2006, 12:40:32
jes jes, I know.