PDA

View Full Version : Rise and Fall - civilisations at war

Nills Lagerbaak
02-05-2006, 15:09:52
Appologies if there has been a thread for this already.
Just played the demo of this and it's pretty damn good.

Very similar strategy element to Total War, but with much nicer graphics, add the resources / expansion element of WOW.

The really cool bit is, however the ability to go on a rampage in the 1st person perspective with one of your heroes.

I've seen this done before, but the graphic style changes from the strategy view and you become instantly confused and lost. The graphics are so good on the strategy bit that you know exactly where you are, even when you switch to your hero in the middle of a battle or something.

the game has definitely got my interest - get it at download.com!

Venom
02-05-2006, 15:29:30
All the way down to a first person view you say? This is something I've wanted to see succesfully executed in a game for a long time.

Nills Lagerbaak
02-05-2006, 15:34:45
I can't imagine how they could have done it better. When in strategy mode your armies and heroes behave in a traditional AI manner. When you press Q however you zoom into your hero and you can get your army to follow you, behave as they would normally or charge (they will attack everything in front of you). As I say there's a free demo, tell me what you think.

maroule
02-05-2006, 15:39:21
From the game footage, it really looks like a RTS coupled with Spartan, and nowhere near Total War

Nills Lagerbaak
02-05-2006, 15:43:31
Well, I've only played medieval total war and it behaves similarly (but better) to that.

You have all the formations, moral, sieges etc. that you had in total war.

Venom
02-05-2006, 16:31:45
You can't compare anything to total war and not have maroule come down on you for it. Total War is his Jesus.

LoD
03-05-2006, 01:24:46
Played the demo. Nice concept, but it seems so far they've got a glorified TPS out of it. I mean, you can actually complete the demo mission by solely controlling Cleopatra (and by that I mean taking the ship to the final port alone).

maroule
03-05-2006, 08:01:23
Originally posted by Venom
You can't compare anything to total war and not have maroule come down on you for it.

especially not to a five dollar whore :lol:

Nills Lagerbaak
03-05-2006, 08:33:30
Originally posted by LoD
Played the demo. Nice concept, but it seems so far they've got a glorified TPS out of it. I mean, you can actually complete the demo mission by solely controlling Cleopatra (and by that I mean taking the ship to the final port alone).

Yes, that is true. I actually prefered the skirmish level, because that involves building up your economy and your hero is so weak to begin with you need a massive army before taking on the opponent.

The boat fights are brilliant. You can fit about 300 units onto one and when you destroy a boat, all the people fly into the air then fall into the water where you can shoot them with your archers. Brill.

maroule
03-05-2006, 10:00:23
the similarities with TW are just more and more apparent

Venom
03-05-2006, 12:06:26
You really are just like a religious zealot.

JM^3
03-05-2006, 12:13:12
Originally posted by maroule
the similarities with TW are just more and more apparent

But which is better?

And compare it to Rome, please.

JM

maroule
03-05-2006, 12:40:48
Originally posted by Venom
You really are just like a religious zealot.

but unlike your little republican born again christian friends, I'm not ready to kill for my beliefs

my point is: TW is at heart a turn based system, which can be modded towards more realism (witness the superb RTR mods out there, much better than the game itself), and with incorporated 'real time' battles.

R&F offersa complete different starting point and philosophy: it's a proper RTS, which spins towards a FP action game, geared to fast pace, fun and an utterly unhistorical perspective.

Both have the same idea (cutting across different game segments to maximise sales), both can even appeal to the same gamers, but they're really totally different. Which is better depends from what you look for in a game, like it's impossible to say wether warcraft of jagged alliance was the best

and it doesn't make me a zealot for stating the obvious.

Venom
03-05-2006, 12:53:32
:lol: You're predictable. And you're funny when you're blindly tossing about accusations. Last time I checked Christians weren't blowing up Comedy Central for the portrayal of Jesus. Last time I checked it wasn't Republicans using images of Che Guevera for calls of "peace". Say hello to one of those "republican" muslims over there for me when he's beating the shit out of you. Tell him I said thanks.

maroule
03-05-2006, 13:07:02
indeed, using Che Guevarra images is really the most scandalous thing going around in the world at the moment...

and stop watching Fox, no enraged bands of muslim are ravaging France right now. Only poors leaving in the rough bouroughs get beaten up, by other poors, like in the rest of the world, only less so than in the states (check our crime rate, and compare it to yours). Priviledged, well off bourgeois like myself don't get beaten up mate, ever. You'll have to live with the disappointment.

Venom
03-05-2006, 13:38:08
Thread ruination complete. Excellent.

maroule
03-05-2006, 13:46:42
RTW rule