PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars Expansion

HelloKitty
27-04-2006, 07:12:19
Anyone else going to get it?

It is a full game, so you don't need the original to play.

As with the original, there is no monthly fee at all.

For those who don't know, its a fairly traditional RPG with a single storyline, but online. If you have both the original and the new you can do both campaigns, if just one you are stuck to one group, but the pvp areas are open to everyone.

You can solo, hire NPCs, or group.

You can even completely skip the game and only pvp and create max level pvp only characters.

You can even be a loser like JM and his friend who play and have never PVPed (in a game known for and made for pvp fun).

Talked about it quite a bit in other threads. If anyone has questions just ask.

I will probably pick it up next week, although I won't have time to do anythign forr a while, since there is no fee that doesn't bother me.

HelloKitty
27-04-2006, 07:22:46
Oh, and yes, the game artists show nearly the panty fetish of Najica and have doubled the number of outfits with this expansion.

http://www.maroco-online.de/images/artikel/DVD-00234.jpg

JM^3
27-04-2006, 07:26:40
I will once I have internet access at home. I will go pay my rent later today (early as usual) and see how far they are in the cabling.

Jon Miller

JM^3
27-04-2006, 07:30:38
Fugue is my freind who plays.

Jon Miller

JM^3
27-04-2006, 07:35:02
btw

one of the other students on the experiment didn't like your photo HK

Jon Miller

Venom
27-04-2006, 12:11:07
Cartoon panties! WOOOOO!!!!!!!

HelloKitty
27-04-2006, 17:28:23
Originally posted by JM^3
btw

one of the other students on the experiment didn't like your photo HK

Jon Miller

Spit in their face and kick them in the balls.

Centara Fugue
28-04-2006, 16:19:17
Yeah, the first one rocks, and I even load it up and go soloing in the desert or the mountains from time to time still. Looking forward to the 2nd one.

HelloKitty
29-04-2006, 23:31:42
Played a little last night.

The new asian models are nice, and the world is lovely to look at.

The acting on the cutscenes I swear they must have just walked down the street in Texas and asked random necks "hey, can you do an asian martial artist voice?" and hired them on the spot.

Shitloads of new skills for all the classes, something like 900 new ones total.

Some of the better quests also give attribute points as rewards now.

HelloKitty
29-04-2006, 23:35:06
Oh, and with all the new skills and two new classes, the arenas are insane. No one knows what to expect.

maroule
02-05-2006, 14:45:27
A friend of mine is bugging me to join, so I probably will, by this week. See you there...

HelloKitty
02-05-2006, 21:39:49
I really like the new quests they have added in the original and neww game. 4 total and the reward is 15 attribute points for each quest!

Buy both the original and the expansion. Its worth it, especially since there is no fee to play.

But, if you buy only one of the two, I would say buy the old one. The story is much longer and many more options for gaining skills.

The second one is a high power expansion. If you start a new char in the second one you level up super fast (was lvl 17 when I left for the mainland) and then hit the cap very early.

The center of the game is not like other games where levels are everything though. Acquairing skills and unlocking items is really what you focus on. You can easily hit the level cap in a day if that is your goal, but there are thousands of skills and hundreds of item to unlock.

The problem with starting new in the expansion is you get shafted in skills and have to buy/exp for them. In the original the campaign is very long but you get skills as quest rewards for a long long time, probbaly well over 100. In the expansion you level to the cap really fast but only get 15 skills or so as quest rewards.

If you only buy the original you cannot use assassin or ritualist professions. Although you probably don't want to since if you walk around EVERYONE is an A or Rit at least in part.

Shining1
03-05-2006, 00:30:21
The acting on the cutscenes I swear they must have just walked down the street in Texas and asked random necks "hey, can you do an asian martial artist voice?" and hired them on the spot.

So, no change from the first one then?

I'll be getting it, because I really like the potential inherent in the guildwars system. If, one day, they can afford to pay someone to properly animate their stuff, it would actually be a really good game.

HelloKitty
03-05-2006, 00:48:43
Oh something for the people who have played before.

THE NPC TO CHANGE SECONDARY CLASSES IS EASY TO GET TO IN FACTIONS! Plus unlike the original it only costs 500 gold to do. So if you hate your secondary you can change it after the 4th or 5th mission.

Originally posted by Shining1
So, no change from the first one then?

I'll be getting it, because I really like the potential inherent in the guildwars system. If, one day, they can afford to pay someone to properly animate their stuff, it would actually be a really good game.

No, not like the first one. The first one is amazing compared to this one (and the firt one was bad).

The cutscene acting is PAINFUL to watch and the story is very cheesy.

They won't ever hire people to improve the cutscene animations though, they don't have the budget with only using box sales. The additions to the game more than make up for it though. And the game is much more challenging. Ritualist NPCs fucking SUCK.

Every prof gained 50 or more new skills plus the 2 new profs.

For those who have never played, there are now 8 profs, you can be any two. Within each prof there are 4 or 5 general focuses. For example a necromancer may focus on blood magic, a warr on axes, etc.

So you get 2 classes with 5-10 focuses. Most people cap out one focus and raise 2 others as high as possible.

So take my current char.

Necromancer Primary/Ranger secondary.

I took

Blood magic 10
Death magic 16
Curses 1 (have an item that gives +1, no points spent)
Soul Reaping 7
Wilderness survival 6
Nothing in the rest of the ranger skills.

This setup gives me basicly tons of pets (but something has to die for me to make one) and the ability to heal them and myself, or just turn them into bombs.

Although I could have just as easily become a long range Archer with curses and an animal pet.

GW also allows you to change your build unlimited times as long as you are in a city, so my char is pretty rare atm since with this expansion they hardcore nerfed the minion master (pet spammers) but gave necros a good pet heal and a semi perm pet.

HelloKitty
03-05-2006, 00:59:20
Oh and I will probably be on a little while tonight, if I get anything done over the next two hours.

Char name is "Heavy Petting".

I can go anywhere in the new game up to the Vishna temple mission but have only opened Lions arch in the original.

maroule
03-05-2006, 08:03:17
too late, I've bought the expansion, at the advice of my friend. If I like what I see, I'll get the first as well.

HelloKitty
03-05-2006, 17:40:00
Your friend probably didn't want to do the old campaign again.

Oh well.

Make sure you save things like naga hides as players will buy them for up to 1k.

Use your early cash and monestary credits to get a belt pouch, 2 bags, and 2 runes of holding.

Enjoy the skyrocket to lvl 20, just remember that unlike other games the level cap doesn't mean much, your skills do.

maroule
04-05-2006, 07:35:00
all right
I'll probably start playing by next week, might pop back to ask some questions :D

Shining1
04-05-2006, 09:40:25
I couldn't play that build, Kitty. I got addicted to Blood/Curses with my Necro. Just massacring warriors with Siphon Life/Faintheartnessed and the three Blood nuke spells. I didn't even have shatter enchantment...

but it doesn't work at all unless you have at least 12 Blood magic, for the +3/-3 boost to Siphon.

HelloKitty
04-05-2006, 09:53:18
Well I have blood at 12 now as well since I finished 2 of the 30 point bonus att quests. If I ever get around to doing the original quest on this char I will get blood up to 15 with 16 death.

You would like some of the new spells for necros. They got a major new spells in all fields.

And maroule, send me a whisper at some poin t in game. I doubt I will be on until Tues night though.

Centara Fugue
04-05-2006, 20:06:41
Does the addition of more attribute points unbalance the old skills? I guess it just shifts everybody up a little, making combat move a hair faster, when it was already the fastest of any mmo game I've tried.

HelloKitty
04-05-2006, 20:20:12
Wel it give the people who complete both games a distinct advantage (60 points) but the 2 quests in the original are at the very end, the two in factions are on the first island.

So factions players in low level pvp have a huge advantage, at the top, not so much.

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 00:43:05
Oh, played a bit more last night. Created Counterglow Kancho Unlimited simply because I got sick of being invited to guilds.

If anyone wants in tell me. We have blood red capes with a big brown eye in the center.

JM^3
12-05-2006, 00:56:08
I have been playing some since EVE is down. I don't have Factions though (playing on Fugue's computers).

JM

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 01:42:09
Go buy factions direct to download you big pussy.

JM^3
12-05-2006, 02:11:17
Hmm, maybe if Fugue does also...

JM

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 02:22:07
Do you two wear the same panties as well?

JM^3
12-05-2006, 04:28:38
Our guild doesn't have capes because that covers the asses of the girls...

JM

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 05:02:40
Is that a yes?

JM^3
12-05-2006, 10:45:43
Err, no. Fugue is my RL freind that I played GW with..

JJM

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 11:58:39
I know who he is. And do you wear and shop for the smae panties as well?

Panzy.

Of and they announced the next expansion. North African theme.

Apparently they split their dev teams into two identical groups of 55 so they can each develop a new expansion and have a full year to work on each one.

JM^3
12-05-2006, 12:30:22
that's cool

I did some Silverpeaks Arena action last night, won one by default and one really (which was good considering I had Ascalon armor)

JM
(lost a bunch)

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 12:37:12
Holy shit!!! You PVPED IN GW!!!>?!?!??!

Grats.

:p

JM^3
12-05-2006, 13:07:27
I could do a bit with my mesmer.. could have used better armor though

also, I targeted wrong people often.. and didn't use my counters well

JM

HelloKitty
12-05-2006, 19:09:09
Make a PVP only character, you will have the 1.5k armour then (best rating, but nor cool looking like the fissure or 15k)

JM^3
12-05-2006, 19:35:51
my warrior has Drok armor and a shield that is -2 when in stance (besides giving tones of HP (and other stufF?))

but she is 17

JM

HelloKitty
13-05-2006, 05:13:19
How the hell do you get past ascention and only be lvl 17? Or did you get a runner to Droks?

JM^3
13-05-2006, 06:04:36
My warrior did the ascension at like level 8... (basically all I did with her but the presearing until I finished the ascension).

Fugue Ran her to Droks.. spent a lot of effort (ran with a Ranger). Also, basically soloed through the other areas to get her to the ascension place.

I don't remember why we were trying to get ascension so early...

Jon Miller

JM^3
13-05-2006, 06:06:19
I see very little of the map, and have only done like 4 missions... (I did the first after ascension)

JM

HelloKitty
13-05-2006, 08:21:35
lol way to play the game :p

Buying runners the first time you do something is kind of stupid.

Now once I did it, I always buy a desert runner. Fuck doing that again.

JM^3
13-05-2006, 13:12:03
I have a character that has played through everything that she has been at...

She is in the jungle now

JM

HelloKitty
13-05-2006, 17:46:32
My factions necro is now a N/Mo rather than N/R.

Am at Drok's in the original campaign and only need to kill the last boss for the factions campaign. Would have finished factions but there were several other MMs last night and I hadn't picked up SS yet, so the group would have sucked.

So I went and got SS.

JM^3
14-05-2006, 00:59:17
So how is the Factions campaign?

JM

HelloKitty
14-05-2006, 02:58:50
Much harder than the original, but shorter. The presence of ritualists makes groups harder to kill, plus you see a varied set of opponents. Trying to get a spell/skll off when the enemy has a few rangers and or mesmers is difficult now. They even have minion master enemies.

Although thinking back there are less annoyances than in the original. The original had a few that were just plain painfully dumb to play. The Hedge of Denravi one with the druids and portals was the height of retardo.

Almost all the factions missions are lvl 20. The vast majority of them at least one (sometimes 4+) NPCs come along with you, Brother Mehnlo, Master togo, etc. They are always monks. You need those 1-4 extra monks!

You also get better henchmen, although they upgraded the AI for all henchmen, the new ones have better skill selections and there are a huge number of different ones. Most towns on the mainland have 12 or more, throughout the game there is at least one henchman for every single concentration (hammer, sword, shock, fire, earth, blood, vile, protection, smiting, healing, etc) and more access to further specialty hench skill sets, like "interrupt henchmen". They also have non-human henchmen.

The acting is worse than the original, and the original was BAD ACTING. You also have to read the story background in the book since the game doesn't really reveal much of the background, as opposed to the original that told the story of the world.

For example, you would think that I wouldn't ahve been suprised when I walked onto the ocean or went into a completely grey forest as part of the central history is about the sea turning to jade and the forests turning to stone.

There are also some plot problems, the most entertaining is the wars between the factions over the jade mines. Remember, the SEA was turned into solid jade... Yet you can fight over a mine on the land... Even though both the factions have beaches...

They also added a couple types of new missions. One where you win faction and/or money for doing, but you cannot win. You basicly see how long/far you can get before dying. Others that are wars betweent he factions with 2 players in a whole zone of NPCs fighting, one player per side.

Centara Fugue
16-05-2006, 05:36:52
Originally posted by HelloKitty
lol way to play the game :p

Buying runners the first time you do something is kind of stupid.

Now once I did it, I always buy a desert runner. Fuck doing that again.

I did the Drok run with Jon in tow after several tries... it was just after they beefed up the run but I think perhaps before they really beefed it up. I enjoyed the challenge, but I call that one done and haven't looked back (not interested in getting super good at it, and after the updates I think you really need a couple of people running as a team to actually get through it with any consistency).

I think part of the reason for getting that character to ascension so early was so Jon could play with me, and he was more interested in that character at the time. Also, it was a neat challenge to beat the dopelganger at 8 and to see how many levels you got for it. I think it might have leveled to 12 or so before ascension because of doing the desert quests.

King_Ghidra
22-05-2006, 11:07:07
eurogamer give it 8/10 for what it's worth

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64877

HelloKitty
22-05-2006, 17:33:13
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
eurogamer give it 8/10 for what it's worth

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=64877

Hmm, Someone has a panty fetish.

It also should be noted in passing that, yes, its character design remain the most ludicrously beautiful in existence. No matter who you fancy, expect to have your sexuality thoroughly questioned at least a couple of times in a play session.

DaShi
24-05-2006, 04:12:48
Well, I finally got a copy of the first one. I expect I'll be able to play sometime within the next 3 years when I finish downloading the first city.

HelloKitty
24-05-2006, 04:30:56
heh.

Before you go to bed tonight, log onto the character select and then leave your computer on.

It will download all the updates for you while idle.

Otherwise you just have to get them as you zone.

DaShi
24-05-2006, 04:38:32
Thanks. I'll do that.

HelloKitty
24-05-2006, 05:16:43
Whats your char name and primary class?

I will see if I can log on tomorrow or later this week if I have anything you can use.

DaShi
24-05-2006, 05:37:57
My character's name is Dashi Moto and is an elementalist.

HelloKitty
24-05-2006, 13:09:51
Was Dashi NoMoto already taken?

:p

DaShi
24-05-2006, 22:14:30
I thought the No would be too obvious. :)

DaShi
29-05-2006, 08:55:08
I've been having a lot of fun in the arena. My character is toast on his own, but with a group he can lay down the hurt. I especially like blinding those warriors who immediately charge us. They never see it coming. ;)

HelloKitty
29-05-2006, 19:19:23
One trick you can do as an E/R in pvp is bring spirit of winter.

Make sure your armour is cold resist. Almost every other elementalist goes for fire resist because that is what 90% of players use.

Spirit of winter turns all elemental damage into cold damage. Basicly you boost the hell out of your armour and turn thier elemenatlists into super squishy targets.

DaShi
30-05-2006, 00:54:50
Ooh, I may try that when I get the skills.

DaShi
02-06-2006, 08:09:59
Is anyone else playing?

I switched over to a Mo/W now. Spending more time in pre-searing than I did with the last character. I guess my next will be a N/Me and cover all the non-Factions classes.

JM^3
02-06-2006, 14:44:05
I have standard GW, will probably play some this weekend.

JM

DaShi
03-06-2006, 08:00:22
If you do, my Mo/W is Aji Moto. But it will probably still be rather low level.

DaShi
06-06-2006, 07:44:33
Aji's been building a bit of a reputation in the Ascalon arena. I think it's a bit exaggerated. With a good team, anyone group can win. I've died a lot in bad teams. But a committed healer who can tank a warrior and still heal others is probably helpful. However, some of the strong players I've seen are N/W who are built to take down warriors.

DaShi
12-06-2006, 11:47:20
Speaking of wikis. Here's one for GW that I often use:

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page

Kitsuki
12-06-2006, 11:53:19
I have just quit WoW, so I think I might give GW a spin - I want a more pvp orientated game. :)

DaShi
13-06-2006, 10:40:45
Cool. But if you do, it looks like it'll just be you and me from CG there. That said, it's really a good game for meeting random people and doing quests together or pvp. So screw the rest of you! :p

Finished all the Ascalon quests today. Have about 5 left in Shiverpeaks before I decide to move on. One thing, why hire runners? Just do the missions. You can easily get a pickup group, and they'll take you to all the desireable placed to go, like Yaks and Beacon's Perch without have to pay costly sums for a runner.

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 14:07:57
Originally posted by DaShi
One thing, why hire runners? Just do the missions. You can easily get a pickup group, and they'll take you to all the desireable placed to go, like Yaks and Beacon's Perch without have to pay costly sums for a runner.

Ah, I can't remember if I ever paid a runner. Sometimes people would be running for practice and would just invite people who wanted to watch, and watching a good runner is great entertainment. Also, I liked running in that game, and learning from someone better than me was a good way to get better at it. I ran Jon's toon a few places, but other than that, I just did it for fun and didn't take money for it (it's possible people gave me some money as a tip/donation, can't recall). The running is all about timing and knowing a good route, and somewhat about luck of spawns on some routes, like the run to Droknar's forge, and about taking the right skills for the run you're doing. Running is just another thing you can do in the game, and that's one of the reasons guild wars ranks as one of the best for gameplay for me - many different ways to play.

I think the most fun I had running was doing one of the desert missions - the one in which you have to bring three crystals and put them on an altar. I did that one on the third try with Jon and some others in the team to watch. It is very tricky because you get slowed down when you're carrying the crystals, so you have to do things like drop them and book it if enemies are closing, then carefully go back and pick them up and continue on. It's not a standard run since you're not trying to get anywhere, but I think it still counts because the techniques are similar.

JM^3
13-06-2006, 14:11:24
You did Fugue, at least twice. (paid a runner) Once was with me (we both payed, err you payed for me), and once I watched you (was the first time you payed one, early in your play)

Jon Miller

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 14:21:09
Which one did I pay for both of us? I bet the one I paid early on in my play was to get to Drok's. Do you recall if I had enough money to buy the Drok's armor when I got there? Oh, or maybe I paid to get to the Grendich Courthouse early on. It seems to me that trip was partly done because several pickup groups to fight our way there had gone poorly. I get it mixed up because some of the runs I had people do for me I later did for you.

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 14:22:56
The thing is, that first character ended up doing all the missions anyway, so eventually I got to the various places I'd already been run to!

HelloKitty
13-06-2006, 20:15:29
Cool. But if you do, it looks like it'll just be you and me from CG there. That said, it's really a good game for meeting random people and doing quests together or pvp. So screw the rest of you! :p

Finished all the Ascalon quests today. Have about 5 left in Shiverpeaks before I decide to move on. One thing, why hire runners? Just do the missions. You can easily get a pickup group, and they'll take you to all the desireable placed to go, like Yaks and Beacon's Perch without have to pay costly sums for a runner.

You hire a runner after you ahve done allt he quests before and don't want to do the tedious parts of the long campaign for an alt.

The original campaign is LONG, but with a runner you can get to the high level group areas for pvp fast.

And trust me, once you do the desert missions once, you will always hire a runner after that!

DaShi
13-06-2006, 20:32:40
I guess I can see that. Plus, your new characters will have the money that your first character didn't for the runs.

My Monk has been able to do a few runs, but not reliably. I ran to the courthouse and Yaks at about lvl 11, but died several times and had to restart. The hardest part is that the map isn't entirely clear on where you can and cannot pass, especially in the lowlands.

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 20:59:49
Running the wrong way and not having enough skills are both major problems for running. I have found that having warrior as one of the two classes makes a good runner, and monk and ranger make good combos with that. I haven't tried ranger/monk as a runner, or monk/ranger, but I think it misses out too much on stances/shouts from the warrior component. I've done very little with mesmer as a runner, but that might also do pretty well. R/W, Mo/W, W/Mo, W/R FTW!

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 21:07:08
Oh, and while you're playing with a R/W try the apply poison + cyclone axe + defensive stances and healing skills build for soloing, and with a Mo/W, get your HP down as low as you can with runes and items and use the skills that make enemy hits do a % of your HP in damage and give you back ... oh whatever manna is called in that game on hit (invincimonk). I have found both entertaining, even after the AI for enemies was changed to make them run away (just makes it more of a challenge = more fun). It takes some concentration to keep the stances/skills up and survive an onslaught of foes, but the thrill of pulling it off is great! Also you can farm for instance all the raw materials to get collector armors and other items more quickly using those tactics, not to mention $$$. I didn't come up with those builds, and doubtless someone else has come up with better ones since factions was released, which would be neat to see. Some of these days I'll have to get back into that game and try me some PVP.

DaShi
13-06-2006, 21:22:04
I may try the invincimonk for fun and profit. But I hear that it isn't so good for pvp.

Centara Fugue
13-06-2006, 21:44:56
I may try the invincimonk for fun and profit. But I hear that it isn't so good for pvp.

Indubitably. The warrior monks often used to go in for the pvp and do pretty well, but there are ways to shut them down, and I think they made the best transition from solo to pvp. The invincimonk and poisoning axe ranger builds both rely on certain weaknesses in the enemies, and as such only work in PVE against certain classes of enemies. I have found that the invincimonk works well against groups of things that aren't casters:

small groups of enchanted armor rangers and warriors (4 or so)
single or multiple desert worms (have to time it so your enchantments don't end when you're flat on your butt from the worm knockdown)
griffons and sand drakes in the desert
cave trolls and giants in the shiverpeaks

The ranger build with poison axe works well against grawl crones and hammer guys in groups, and I think I've also used it in the desert against the fire magic caster dinosaur things (name eludes me, and perhaps that was with the monk instead of the ranger, not sure). The stuff that can knock you down or strip your stances/enchantments is the real problem with both of the builds I've soloed with, and as such a team with a necro or a mesmer would just cream you. The little rock scarabs in the desert aren't bad with the ranger poison axe build (not bad I say... actually I think I could only take a small group of 2 or 3 of them even with that build) since it depends on stances, but they kill the invincimonk quite handily.

DaShi
15-06-2006, 22:48:58
I've been looking at some of the other professions for a 2nd class for a Monk. Elementalist's glyphs would often be useful to me. I use Vigorous Spirit on warriors and rangers, but when there are a lot of the the 4 second recharge becomes annoying. Necros and mesmers are good for energy manage and some defense. I think that assassins are better than warriors for how I've been playing. I usually use Sprint for escape. Assassins have just as good running skills, but also shadow stepping, which is good for getting away from enemies or to people who need healing. Ritualists have a great resurrestion skill, but there's a Factions monk skill that's just as good.

DaShi
16-06-2006, 07:03:58
Yay! Finally finished the bonus mission where you have to find and save all the chosen ones. I must have gone through it about 6 times before I finally got with a group that did it. I don't think our leader was too happy when I let her die to save a villager. :) I resurrected her later.

JM^3
16-06-2006, 12:50:00
That one sucks.. and often times people who just want to finish the normal mission get groups with people who want to do the bonus, and both sides get frustrated, and waste time. Of all the missions I have done (and I haven't done all of them..) that one was the most annoying.

JM

Centara Fugue
16-06-2006, 12:51:37
Grats! I still haven't saved all those dang villagers, and when I was trying, I had similar luck with teams.

HelloKitty
16-06-2006, 13:09:33
That one is pretty bad. Wait until you have to do the one with the druids and crystals to get into the hedge of denravi.

THAT ONE IS ANNOYING.

DaShi
17-06-2006, 21:35:26
Is that waking the druids? We had one elementalist who knew it and said he go and do it alone. A noob monk followed a long. A few minutes later, he was dead and the monk was running back to the main group. So we all went back running around chaoticly trying to find his corpse. When we'd rez him, he'd run off and continue the bonus. Die and we'd have to find him .again. What a mess, but we finished it.

HelloKitty
17-06-2006, 23:29:34
Its the one where you have to get shards fromt eh druids, then run them to alters to change them to your team. At the same time the NPC team is doign the exact same thing. It cannot be soloed. If you get a group stupid enough to try to fight the NPCs who are running you will lose.

JM^3
18-06-2006, 06:48:38
Fugue soloed the one in the desert where you have to beat the three teams..

JM

HelloKitty
18-06-2006, 09:49:08
Um..Ok.

Whats that got to do with this one?

JM^3
18-06-2006, 10:47:49
oh, similiar thing of fighting a NPC team

JM

HelloKitty
18-06-2006, 22:13:44
You don't fight an NPC team. If you fight you lose. Even if you can kill every one of them as they come. Even if they cannot hurt you at all.

You ignore the NPCs.

Centara Fugue
19-06-2006, 03:07:00
Hmmm, I'm wondering if there's a confusion of which desert mission there. The one I can solo was the one in which you grab the three crystals and bring them to the altar, which you can do without killing a single NPC. However, if you were doing that with a group of players, you'd probably just do it in the style of all the other missions and kill all or most of the NPCs and finish it up the old-fashioned way (so HK's point about it not really being the same thing holds).

The desert mission with 6 teams, each of which respawns after some amount of time if you don't kill the priest, is really just a straight-forward killing mission, and while you need a good team to get through it (especially that dang monk boss in the last area), you are just killing all the NPCs, as usual (HK's point still holds). I guess you could think of that one as relating to the topic in the sense that you need a good team to do it, and everybody has to know what they're doing to finish, or at least most have to know what they're doing, but it isn't annoying in quite the same way as these other ones they were talking about. That one I can't solo, but I got progressively better and better at doing it with henchmen, and could get all but the monk boss with at least one of the combinations I tried.

The other desert mission is an escort mission and a defend-the-dude-while-he-stands-there mission, so it isn't really annoying in the same way, either.

I do see the original point of confusion (if anybody still cares at this point in the long-winded post), that being the mention of grabbing shards and putting them somewhere, reminding Jon (I think) of the desert mission with the crystals and the altar. I don't think that one can be soloed in the same way as the desert one can, but I wonder if a team of all runners could do it. I can't remember everything you have to do in that one, but I seem to recall that the shards and altars bit is at the end, after some combat or something, so a group with all running setups might have trouble getting through the first part.

Centara Fugue
19-06-2006, 03:13:01
Scratch that last bit. I don't think you really need a running setup at the end anyway. Hmmm, but could you do it all alone with a running setup? I bet the teams of NPCs would be too quick, undoing your work as you did it.

DaShi
20-06-2006, 06:38:11
If it's in the desert, I haven't done it yet. Last week I finished the one in the jungle where you have to control the alters and kill the demagogue for the bonus. Everyone was running everywhere in that one, which is really annoying for a monk. I do make good use of Sprint though.

DaShi
07-07-2006, 22:08:03
I'm still playing this. I got factions now, but haven't been playing it much. Need to set some time for downloading, as I tried to enter a mission only to have everyone be 1/2 through it by the time I arrived.

For the original, the protect the king at the fort mission was a pain. It's not hard, but getting the teams to do it right is. Monks have so little say in these matters. The Fire Island missions were tough because of people dropping out halfway through. I think the second one we had about 4 people left and nearly finished the bonus (stupid hydras). That one was amusing as the elementalists were pissed at me. They didn't seem to like that I'd let them die to keep the warriors alive. Of course, they wouldn't have died to begin with had they not all rushed into battle. Probably didn't like it when I stopped healing them at all after that. :) They were both monk 2nd and were supposed to help me as I was the only monk in a group of 8.

DaShi
29-07-2006, 16:23:30
For you GW players, this weekend is the beta test for the 2 new professions for the next expansion ("Nightfall"). So far they look fairly fun, but a little overpowered in pvp. I've seen too many successful teams of only Ranger/Paragons. There will definitely be some changes. Also, I wonder if they plan to further support Assassins and Ritualists in the next expansion with new skills and armor and such.

HelloKitty
29-07-2006, 17:33:26
Good info. I haven't paid any atention! Now I must log on.

As for paragons being overpowered, its probably just like when ass and rit were added. People haven't built anything to counter them yet.

JM^3
30-07-2006, 05:37:22
I haven't even bought factions yet

JM

HelloKitty
30-07-2006, 10:55:51
Loser

DaShi
30-07-2006, 15:19:14
Agreed :p

DaShi
13-08-2006, 16:46:02
For those of you interested:

Press Release - August 1, 2006

ArenaNet Announces Prerelease Bonus Pack for Guild Wars Nightfall

Fans to get first taste of next Guild Wars game in new retail package that will include exclusive character items, an additional character slot, screenshots and more

August 1, 2006 (BELLEVUE, WA) — ArenaNet® and NCsoft® today announced a brand new retail package which will soon give Guild Wars® players their first look inside the exciting upcoming release, Guild Wars NightfallTM. The announcement comes on the heels of the Guild Wars Nightfall PVP Preview Event where players were able to create characters using the new Nightfall professions.

The Guild Wars Nightfall Prerelease Bonus Pack is expected to hit store shelves on September 15 and will feature:

Guild Wars "Play Now" key for a 10-hour/14-day trial* of Guild Wars PropheciesTM and Guild Wars FactionsTM.
Guild Wars Nightfall Bonus Key, providing one additional character slot for a Guild Wars Nightfall account, as well as two exclusive items for the new professions—a Firey Sunspear of Shelter for the Paragon and an Icy Soulbreaker of Enchanting for the Dervish
Mini strategy guide, concept art, screenshots, in-game renders of characters and items, preview trailer, wallpapers, lore, quick reference card, music, and more!
Guild Wars Nightfall takes place on the continent of Elona, Land of the Golden Sun. It is a nation comprised of three great provinces; The island province of Istan is the home of a vibrant people who live among the monuments of an ancient empire. The military province of Kourna, under the command of its great leader, Warmarshal Varesh, hugs the shores of the mighty river Elon. And in the rugged lands to the north, the Princes of Vabbi rule from their opulent citadels. Elona is a land of wealth and power, protected by its champions, the Order of the Sunspears. In Guild Wars Nightfall, Elona has fallen under the shadow of an evil, outcast god. Against the encroaching desolation of an infernal realm, the people of Elona will need more than a hero to save them, they will need a hero to lead them. . .for nightfall is at hand.

Guild Wars, an instant bestseller worldwide upon its release in April 2005, and Guild Wars Factions, the number one game in both North America and Europe earlier this year, are global online roleplaying games. Guild Wars Nightfall continues the tradition of inviting players to immerse themselves in an epic storyline centered in a vibrant fantasy setting, build personalized characters, and find adventure in missions and quests. This is a Guild Wars game unlike any players have seen before.

I'll be waiting for the full game myself. Amazon places it at about mid-October. Plus, I'm still playing Factions and have a lot of stuff remaining in Prophocies to do as well.