PDA

View Full Version : finally some good news from DM world


devilmunchkin
19-04-2006, 17:42:36
i got into graduate school :) I'll be heading to the University of California at Davis to study poetry. Pretty excited and I actually didn't think i was going to get in anywhere. Just found out this morning. :)

Darkstar
19-04-2006, 17:43:51
Hurray! :beer:

Japher
19-04-2006, 17:46:59
I'm a UCD Alum

Japher
19-04-2006, 17:48:00
Guess I could say more about Davis since I lived there from 1993 to 2001

Lurker the Second
19-04-2006, 17:49:20
Originally posted by Japher
I'm a UCD Alum

Don't let that get you down, DM. I'm sure things have changed.

Congrats. :beer:

Venom
19-04-2006, 18:01:36
Wait...you live in America?

devilmunchkin
19-04-2006, 18:16:44
yes, venom. Where did you this i was from?
japher, what is it like? rent rates decent? or is it better to try for a dorm?

Venom
19-04-2006, 18:23:09
Guatamala or something. All you people with no avatars look the same to me. You all blend together into one gigantic creature. Like that Scuzzlebut from South Park.

Japher
19-04-2006, 18:24:15
rent can be expensive (as it is a college town), if you don't know anyone live in the dorm. It'll cut down on your commute, seeing as parking was always a bitch.

Still, the town is heavy on bikes. Mine got stolen my second year there so I ended up roller blading or walking everywhere as you can walk across the entire town in half a day. Besides, the bus system is really good. The buses come often, are cheap, and are clean and student ran. They have a bunch of double decker buses, which are just fun.

You're in a good spot; not far from Sacramento, not far from the Bay Area, not far from Tahoe. I loved it there and didn't want to leave. Yet, it is a "plastic" town. Nothing bad ever happens there, even if it does. The cops are easy going, especially on drug users siting it as "a common Davis activity". It is very hippy, laid back, but the fact that they "don't exist" eventually grated on me and forced me to go out and experience the world.

Campus is nice. The CoOp has good food, the Silo has fast food.

Japher
19-04-2006, 18:35:26
Important!!!

READ THIS!!!

The Graduate; normal stupid college bar with high covers. By the dorms, but don't go there! 'cept for lunch. The have grinders, pizza, etc... Free pool on Sundays and a Country Night! Full of idiots and college kids who haven't learned to drink.

Sophie's; it's a restaurant, or was, but they had opened up a nice bar in front which has great drink specials, a $1 cover, not a lot of seating so get there early. Which isn't a problem because the close at midnight. but that's fine, because the whole crowd heads down the street to Froggers, The Cantina, or G Street Pub (refered to as G Street).

Froggers; it's changed it's name a bazillion times. It's on the corner so you can't miss it. It gets packed, bartenders are nice, and bouncers even nicer. It was the Paragon when I was there but some kid OD and got the place shut down.

The Cantina; right next door to Froggers. Great Mexican food, but the kitchen closes at 9 when it becomes a bar. Last time I was there I left because they ALWAYS have a live band that plays way too loud. They have THE WALL OF TAPs though, serving up about 70 different beers and ciders. Great for lunch or an early start for drinking.

G Street; half a block from the two bars above. I use to hang here all the time. Live bands on the weekends and Thursday (sometimes), good pool, cold beer. It's been a staple in Davis for a very long time and is where I would recommend hanging out.

Food? There's In 'N Out, Fusios, Plutos, Sophies (Thai), Fussions, Woodstocks (Pizza), Steve's Pizza (best in town), Bunch of fast food, Dos Coyotes (best Mexican), Cafe Italia (Italian, but has a great breakfast)... If you get out to Winters they have a great steakhouse, and Cattleman's is nearby in Dixon.

Immortal Wombat
19-04-2006, 18:47:42
Congratulations, dm :beer:

Venom
19-04-2006, 19:09:06
Originally posted by Japher
Important!!!

READ THIS!!!

The Graduate; normal stupid college bar with high covers. By the dorms, but don't go there! 'cept for lunch. The have grinders, pizza, etc... Free pool on Sundays and a Country Night! Full of idiots and college kids who haven't learned to drink.

Sophie's; it's a restaurant, or was, but they had opened up a nice bar in front which has great drink specials, a $1 cover, not a lot of seating so get there early. Which isn't a problem because the close at midnight. but that's fine, because the whole crowd heads down the street to Froggers, The Cantina, or G Street Pub (refered to as G Street).

Froggers; it's changed it's name a bazillion times. It's on the corner so you can't miss it. It gets packed, bartenders are nice, and bouncers even nicer. It was the Paragon when I was there but some kid OD and got the place shut down.

The Cantina; right next door to Froggers. Great Mexican food, but the kitchen closes at 9 when it becomes a bar. Last time I was there I left because they ALWAYS have a live band that plays way too loud. They have THE WALL OF TAPs though, serving up about 70 different beers and ciders. Great for lunch or an early start for drinking.

G Street; half a block from the two bars above. I use to hang here all the time. Live bands on the weekends and Thursday (sometimes), good pool, cold beer. It's been a staple in Davis for a very long time and is where I would recommend hanging out.

Food? There's In 'N Out, Fusios, Plutos, Sophies (Thai), Fussions, Woodstocks (Pizza), Steve's Pizza (best in town), Bunch of fast food, Dos Coyotes (best Mexican), Cafe Italia (Italian, but has a great breakfast)... If you get out to Winters they have a great steakhouse, and Cattleman's is nearby in Dixon.

At least that's the way it was back in 1989.

devilmunchkin
19-04-2006, 19:09:35
I don't suppose i will be eating out alot. If i do get a TA position i will have about 14K per year to work off of. Ideally, i think i'd like to see about renting a studio. They tend to be cheaper than apartments. If that doesn't work, maybe a dorm.

I say that because it is looking like the bf and I will be going our separate ways. I do not think he will be coming with me.

JM^3
19-04-2006, 19:46:18
cool
JM

Lurker the Second
19-04-2006, 19:47:37
:lol: at JM

mr_G
19-04-2006, 19:48:38
congratzzz devil :beer: thizzz izzzz a happy CG day

Diss
19-04-2006, 20:00:12
Originally posted by Venom
Wait...you live in America?

and I think she used to live in Texas too. :lol:. But despite that, I still like her. ;)

mr_G
19-04-2006, 20:02:53
MrG Street; half a block from the two bars above. I use to hang here all the time. Live bands on the weekends and Thursday (sometimes), good pool, cold beer. It's been a staple in Davis for a very long time and is where I would recommend hanging out. :beer:

Japher
19-04-2006, 20:03:06
At least that's the way it was back in 1989.

I was back just about a year ago.

I have freinds there who have never left

mr_G
19-04-2006, 20:04:27
time to leave forever then

JM^3
19-04-2006, 20:08:46
I like moving arround every few years

JM

Japher
19-04-2006, 20:09:17
me too

devilmunchkin
19-04-2006, 20:57:15
me too.

what's wrong with being from Texas? :(

JM^3
19-04-2006, 21:00:39
nothing

I am sure that there are several nice people from there..

JM

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-04-2006, 21:24:00
Name 3.

mr_G
19-04-2006, 21:57:12
jr
bobby
pamela
and sue ellen

Spartak@CPH
19-04-2006, 22:19:35
Poetry? are you gay?

Congratulations! Turn it round. No more Losers! yes?

alsieboo
19-04-2006, 22:37:09
Congrats DM, that's really great news :) :beer:

devilmunchkin
19-04-2006, 22:50:53
Originally posted by Spartak@CPH
Poetry? are you gay?

Congratulations! Turn it round. No more Losers! yes?

no, i'm very straight as you should be able to tell from my history ;)

and as for no more losers, i've made a pact with myself that i WILL be single for at least 6 months. no excuses. In all honesty, I don't know if there even is a right person for me.

Oerdin
20-04-2006, 02:38:09
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
i got into graduate school :) I'll be heading to the University of California at Davis to study poetry. Pretty excited and I actually didn't think i was going to get in anywhere. Just found out this morning. :)

Congradulations! :beer:

Davis is a nice town and not far from San Francisco. I think you'll like being an aggie.

self biased
20-04-2006, 13:45:11
so i take it you and that other guy are parting ways? eh. he was holding you back and you knew it.

congratulations! it's all uphill from here.

Venom
20-04-2006, 13:46:46
God, I love backhanded compliments.

Congrats on finally realizing you wasted the last however many years or months of your life on some loser. You knew he was a loser, but you stupidly stayed with him anyway.

In any case, you're rolling along now. Good work.

self biased
20-04-2006, 13:51:39
venom, i'm ashamed of you. a compliment? some positive reinforcement? what's become of you, man?

Funko
20-04-2006, 13:54:37
He was translating your comment.

Venom
20-04-2006, 14:04:54
self biased, I'm not suprised by you. A big idiot? A really big idiot? Why is no one suprised?

self biased
20-04-2006, 14:13:02
own goal. because i'm a big idiot, dummy.

devilmunchkin
20-04-2006, 15:33:04
Originally posted by self biased
so i take it you and that other guy are parting ways? eh. he was holding you back and you knew it.

congratulations! it's all uphill from here.

mk, i'll try to explain this as best as possible. We arn't broken up yet, but over the years i've become adept at predicting when something is over. I've had a bit of experience....

So we haven't officially said "it's over," but it's definitely been talked about.

And about the holding back part: I suppose you are right. There is no way i could afford to take care of him and put myself through college. I think i'm going to have a hard enough time budgeting as is.

I've already started looking at cars and apartments. The studios listed online are 750+ per month which is more than i'm currently paying for my 1 br 1 bth. I'm hoping that maybe the cheaper places arn't listed online.

And if i do find something, am i going to be able to afford it and a car? or would my best choice be to just take a train, live in a studio close to campus and walk everywhere? I just have a lot of big choices coming up.

Oerdin
20-04-2006, 19:35:38
Live on campus for the first year just so you can meet people and make new friends. Once you have a social network established then you'll start finding out about the good deals. So and so will know someone who needs a room mate cheap and that sort of thing. Cars are also cheap if you buy an old beater.

JM^3
20-04-2006, 19:49:35
You shuoldn't need (or want) to live on Campus in Grad school.

Living nearby is a bonus, but honestly very few of my grad school freinds hang out (or want to hang out) with the undergraduates...

And most graduate students will live off campus (but nearby).

Jon Miller

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-04-2006, 20:04:48
Happy birthday!

Japher
20-04-2006, 20:40:17
You shuoldn't need (or want) to live on Campus in Grad school.

Living nearby is a bonus, but honestly very few of my grad school freinds hang out (or want to hang out) with the undergraduates...

And most graduate students will live off campus (but nearby).


Davis has graduate student housing, for those who don't want to take a place with a stranger since rents can be high.

JM^3
20-04-2006, 20:42:11
Eh, living with a random graduate student isn't so bad..

I have done it, my freinds have done it, I think you are rarely burned...

JM
(the person who I lived with might have been)

devilmunchkin
20-04-2006, 22:33:33
Originally posted by JM^3
Eh, living with a random graduate student isn't so bad..

I have done it, my freinds have done it, I think you are rarely burned...

JM
(the person who I lived with might have been)

Well, while i'm being honest and open here, i think that i probably should not have a roomie. Especially someone i do not know. We all know i've got issues and that i'm constantly trying to work on them. I kinda regard this as a way to start working on these and do so alone. If i've got some random person around, i don't think it will go as well.

however, i am interested in the graduate housing there. i probably will have to check that out (and see if maybe i could get my own room). thing is, after 3 years being on my own, you gather up alot of stuff..so i'd have to have some place to put furniture and what not.

DaShi
21-04-2006, 07:54:07
Congrats, DM! :beer:

Cruddy
22-04-2006, 01:47:22
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
yes, venom. Where did you this i was from?
j

Somewhere with a hazy sense of describing times, locations, events, and a general sense of what is happening?

Like me after 5 pints I suppose.

Koshko
22-04-2006, 06:16:31
What kind of job can you get with a Poetry degree?

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-04-2006, 08:00:27
They're hiring Bards round here. 80K plus dental and car.

JM^3
22-04-2006, 08:26:44
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
Well, while i'm being honest and open here, i think that i probably should not have a roomie. Especially someone i do not know. We all know i've got issues and that i'm constantly trying to work on them. I kinda regard this as a way to start working on these and do so alone. If i've got some random person around, i don't think it will go as well.

however, i am interested in the graduate housing there. i probably will have to check that out (and see if maybe i could get my own room). thing is, after 3 years being on my own, you gather up alot of stuff..so i'd have to have some place to put furniture and what not.

I agree being alone can be good sometimes. I think it might have been good for me this semester, but I sorta wish I had more people to hang out with outside of workin this area.

JM

Oerdin
22-04-2006, 08:49:20
As long as you have your own room it wouldn't be to bad. Given that it is graduate student housing and in the UC system that basically means two grad students sharing a furnished two bedroom apartment apartment.

devilmunchkin
22-04-2006, 11:34:29
actually, those apts advertised on the college site say they have studios and 1 bdr. that would be good i think. Rather than a roomie, i think i'd like a cat or a dog.

Provost Harrison
22-04-2006, 12:53:52
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
i got into graduate school :) I'll be heading to the University of California at Davis to study poetry. Pretty excited and I actually didn't think i was going to get in anywhere. Just found out this morning. :)

Poetry?!

Diss
22-04-2006, 20:44:11
yeah it's a form of writing where you make words rhyme. :). Unless you aren't very good at it, then they don't rhyme. ;)

devilmunchkin
22-04-2006, 22:38:58
then i must suck because mine don't rhyme very often ;)

Dyl Ulenspiegel
23-04-2006, 10:17:09
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
They're hiring Bards round here. 80K plus dental and car.

Marketing jobs?

JM^3
23-04-2006, 10:21:40
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
then i must suck because mine don't rhyme very often ;)

Give us an example?

The last time I wrote a poem it was about eating people...











It was for my freshman (highschool) class, and was about the donner party. I think it rhymed and stuff (might even have been 'classic' or something). The only line I can remember now is "Mary is hungry".

Jon Miller

Rekrul
23-04-2006, 10:28:52
Hungary? Did she have a craving for goulash?

JM^3
23-04-2006, 10:30:29
I said Hungery and you know it.

JM

devilmunchkin
23-04-2006, 11:07:38
here..wrote this over the past two days. Newest one. Keep in mind i haven't had enough time to polish it or anything, so it probably still needs a bit of work. I generally try not to purposely write so dark (because no matter what i do, darkness comes out in my poetry), but i gave into it for this one.

Eulogy for Snow White

I.
I stood over your motionless body.
It lay like a fallen petal upon the floor.
Then I remembered your defeat.


II.
Rain pelted the earth as I approached the cottage.
Your onyx eyes regarded my hagard visage.
Pity and kindness were reflected in that alabastor face,
Your naivete became your undoing.
Others less charmed would have perceived
Or at least questioned the purpose of a peddler on this night.
In stories, the stranger in the storm never has pure intentions,
Stupid, silly child.

Your very gift of innocence and youthful beauty
Made it all too easy to despise you.
Your elevation above my imperial person
Made it all too easy to plan your demise.

Could you have but shown an ounce of conceit
Or arrogant condescension, then human you would be;
Not the perfect angel you are.
Ethereal and adored were you.
Existing outside of humanity's earthly burdens.
That is why I am queen of their sins
And you now lay silently before me.

All of my malice, all of my hatred, all of my misery,
Gathered up with my sorcery, and all for you.
My bane now flows through your veins;
You've taken from me with guileless altruism.
Even your last act - a sacrifice of self
To bear while your people live on, unaware of your deed.
No one but me will remember you
For I have erased you.

III.
Now, as I turn to reenter the dark shroud of rain,
I leave you breathless - a porcelain fragment on the floor.
And now, you are merely another poisoned memory.

mr_G
23-04-2006, 11:13:23
nice ones devil
my Best poem evah is,

The sint was thinking, mrG needs more drinking.
The next day his poop will be stinking.

JM^3
24-04-2006, 06:18:24
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
here..wrote this over the past two days. Newest one. Keep in mind i haven't had enough time to polish it or anything, so it probably still needs a bit of work. I generally try not to purposely write so dark (because no matter what i do, darkness comes out in my poetry), but i gave into it for this one.

Eulogy for Snow White

I.
I stood over your motionless body.
It lay like a fallen petal upon the floor.
Then I remembered your defeat.


II.
Rain pelted the earth as I approached the cottage.
Your onyx eyes regarded my hagard visage.
Pity and kindness were reflected in that alabastor face,
Your naivete became your undoing.
Others less charmed would have perceived
Or at least questioned the purpose of a peddler on this night.
In stories, the stranger in the storm never has pure intentions,
Stupid, silly child.

Your very gift of innocence and youthful beauty
Made it all too easy to despise you.
Your elevation above my imperial person
Made it all too easy to plan your demise.

Could you have but shown an ounce of conceit
Or arrogant condescension, then human you would be;
Not the perfect angel you are.
Ethereal and adored were you.
Existing outside of humanity's earthly burdens.
That is why I am queen of their sins
And you now lay silently before me.

All of my malice, all of my hatred, all of my misery,
Gathered up with my sorcery, and all for you.
My bane now flows through your veins;
You've taken from me with guileless altruism.
Even your last act - a sacrifice of self
To bear while your people live on, unaware of your deed.
No one but me will remember you
For I have erased you.

III.
Now, as I turn to reenter the dark shroud of rain,
I leave you breathless - a porcelain fragment on the floor.
And now, you are merely another poisoned memory.

That is pretty good. It does sound a bit ghoth though. Not cringe worthy like a lot of what you find on ghoth sites.

What is funny is that I have a hard time defining what is poetry and what is not, but when reading it, I recognize it. Probably has more to do with word choice than with rhyming.

Now I don't know enough to say much more.

I liked reading, and knew something of criticism of literature and poetry when I was younger. Now, though, I mostly just read for pleasure, although I am reading A Fable by Faulker (almost done), and have forgotten the thuoght processes and vocab.

Jon Miller

Kitsuki
24-04-2006, 09:25:43
Alabaster is mispelt. :)

mr_G
24-04-2006, 09:35:42
in what language?

MDA
24-04-2006, 10:51:19
Stupid Faulker