PDA

View Full Version : The worst games you ever bought

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-04-2006, 08:14:04
"Republic: The Revolution"

Amazing engine. A truly stunning engine that had writers raving about the genius of its creators. Every aspect was cutting edge.

Shame they forgot to attach a game to it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-04-2006, 08:15:29
"X"

A brilliant re-creation of the tedium of being a long-distance lorry driver, but in space. I know this one has fans here, but I think you're all insane.

JM^3
12-04-2006, 08:20:27
Renkoku

boring, ugly, and repetitive...

Jon Miller

Scabrous Birdseed
12-04-2006, 08:38:22
The only game I hated so much I broke it in a fit of rage was Postman Pat for the C64. I ripped out all the inner bits of the casette and binned it after getting stuck on one of the buggy corners for the millionth time. I was seven years old.

Fistandantilus
12-04-2006, 08:56:47
Master of Orion 3

maroule
12-04-2006, 09:29:51
Black and White, first version
Super hyped and eagerly anticipated, but spectacularly shitty interface, and immense sense of boredom

MDA
12-04-2006, 11:07:33
Ultima IX - a sad end to a great series of games, horribly bugged, and couldn't be completely patched without replacing the installation disk - which they offered to do for free, if you contacted their customer service - I got an automated response that had nothing to do with getting me the replacement CD - twice. I kept the dice for the hell of it. I swore to never touch a Richard Garriot game again.

Pool of Radiance 2 - such a slow moving grind of a game, and no sense of accomplishment as you moved through, just one boring maze of a dungeon after another.

Moo3 was almost playable if you gathered the right player made mods. It still didn't last long on my hard drive, but hey, I only paid about 15 bucks for it.

Civ3 - lots of nice ideas in Civ3 - borders and culture in particular -
but, they also cut multiplayer (not that I cared) shortly before release

I'm told it got better with the enhancement packs, but the original game was frustratingly poor. I had very little fun with it, but it did make me go back and play a lot more Civ2 than I had in awhile.

MoSe
12-04-2006, 11:48:46
Civ - ToT

I also bought CtP2 while I was out of my mind, but never unwrapped it, so I can't really say

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-04-2006, 11:59:28
Originally posted by maroule
Black and White, first version
Super hyped and eagerly anticipated, but spectacularly shitty interface, and immense sense of boredom

I quite liked that one. The interface took some getting used to, but I really got the hang of it and it felt good to use. Anyway, slapping a giant chimp around was fun.

Venom
12-04-2006, 12:00:21
I'll second Ultima IX. Just disappointing on every level.

Resource Consumer
12-04-2006, 15:36:05
Braveheart

Chris
12-04-2006, 17:30:42
Don't buy games, but I have reviewed quite a few that I thought would be good and sucked royally.

Probaly the most disapointing was a game called Pax Romana, it was supposed to be a strategy game of the roman republic, instead it was impossible to figure out what was going on, and many of the game's features were broken.

MOO 3 sucked, total waste of time.

Civ 3 did have promise, but it looked like shit and had stupid ideas such as after a certain point cities just generate a single shield to make stuff. Also, it was buggy as hell, you could waste a few hours playing, and then the game would not have coal or oil resources, so you could never have modern units.

Civ 2 ToT was a total waste of time, worst units ever.

Morte
12-04-2006, 17:40:55
Divine Divinity...so very, very poor

Venom
12-04-2006, 17:48:12
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
I quite liked that one. The interface took some getting used to, but I really got the hang of it and it felt good to use. Anyway, slapping a giant chimp around was fun.

Now you know what you mom felt like when you were younger.

HelloKitty
12-04-2006, 18:19:32
Originally posted by MoSe
Civ - ToT

I also bought CtP2 while I was out of my mind, but never unwrapped it, so I can't really say

If you play with other people CtP2 is by far the best civ game. Makes Civ 4 look weak. To bad there is no AI and you CANNOT lose (really, the ai won't kill you).

Vincent
12-04-2006, 19:31:16
Originally posted by Venom
I'll second Ultima IX. Just disappointing on every level. Yup

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
12-04-2006, 19:49:37
Imperium Galactica.

Imperium Galactica 2 (yes, I bought the second one after finding out the first one was unbelievably hideous).

Spellforce: Order of Dawn (see my review on CG!)

Darkstar
12-04-2006, 21:17:17
Laz, you know X2 lets you do more then drive a lorry, right? ;)

For me, the game that stands out the most as worst game ever was MoO3. The complete letdown of one of my favorite series...

Morte
13-04-2006, 06:12:57
UFO: Aftermath

Poorly put together remake...they seemed to have taken the strategy out of the game.

Kitsuki
13-04-2006, 08:36:13
Special mention in that my parents bought it for me rather than myself (I have better sense) but Daikatana...

I had to play it to show gratitude but it was painful. And I lasted about three hours before telling my dad it was a stinking pile of horse shite that butchered the genre.

maroule
13-04-2006, 10:36:52
Originally posted by Morte
UFO: Aftermath

Poorly put together remake...they seemed to have taken the strategy out of the game.

lol
I did a review for a French strategy game magazine on this one. As I am a rabid fan of UFO, my review was fairly positive, and the editor did the cover page with it, hyping it up... while the reality is indeed that this is a turd... needless to say, the readers letters the following month were not very complementory... I didn't even get bribed for it...

MDA
13-04-2006, 10:57:54
I actually liked Divine Divinity - but I did get absolutely furious after getting stuck (bugged I think) at one point and having to start over.

Finding your way around/through some of the maps was nearly impossible in some areas. I just had a lot of fun levelling up and wailing on stuff, and the story was - predictable but OK. It was a lot like Diablo single player- you could have fun playing through it once, but it didn't have any real replayablility, even as a different class

Venom
13-04-2006, 12:03:54
lol
I did a review for a French strategy game magazine on this one. As I am a rabid fan of UFO, my review was fairly positive, and the editor did the cover page with it, hyping it up... while the reality is indeed that this is a turd... needless to say, the readers letters the following month were not very complementory... I didn't even get bribed for it...

And you questioned my reviewing integrity.

maroule
13-04-2006, 12:33:54
I don't remember questionning your integrity
your intelligence, culture, sense of style, education, human form, reviewer's skills, definitly, but your integrity, never

and the Total War serie is still the best thing that happened recently to strategy games... I stand by my point...

Venom
13-04-2006, 12:37:58
The first one just isn't that good.

Rome: TW is much better. They made a bunch of the improvements I recommended.

Lurker the Second
13-04-2006, 12:52:35
, but your integrity, never

Presumably an unfortunate oversight.

maroule
13-04-2006, 13:17:45
Rome: TW is much better. They made a bunch of the improvements I recommended.

Thank God for your decisive influence
I'm surprised they didn't offer you a board position as thanks (or even a pass with the proverbial "10 dollars whore" you compared their game to)

Venom
13-04-2006, 13:19:01
My fame is thanks enough.

Chris
13-04-2006, 15:18:03
Never had any of my reviews questioned integrity wise, and I have over 80 published now.

Venom
13-04-2006, 15:21:37
Thanks for sharing that fabulous bit of trivia. I now question the integrity of all your reviews.

maroule
13-04-2006, 15:34:01
and their interest

Chris
13-04-2006, 16:59:36
Thanks for sharing that fabulous bit of trivia. I now question the integrity of all your reviews. As long as you read em, every click is money in the bank.

Venom
13-04-2006, 17:01:55
I have discovered technology to read things without clicking on them.

Chris
13-04-2006, 17:25:05
Well, I better be worried then.

Venom
13-04-2006, 17:42:53
That's right. I'm stealing from you.

Asher
13-04-2006, 19:42:38
Civ 2
Final Fantasy 1 through 10
SMAC
GT4
Pro Evolution Soccer

Chris
13-04-2006, 21:30:37
You didn't like Civ 2 Ash?

Why not?

JM^3
13-04-2006, 21:40:10
I am wondering why he bought FF 7+ if he didn't like the earlier ones...

personally I thought FF6 (3 US) was the best.. I probably won't buy another one (I did buy 8 & 9, and even beat 8)

JM

Venom
14-04-2006, 01:25:47
Here's a hint. He's trying to be rebellious.

Sir Penguin
14-04-2006, 02:39:16
The only games I've bought are Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights, so... Neverwinter Nights.

SP

Asher
14-04-2006, 03:43:23
Here's a hint. He's trying to be rebellious.
Trying to troll.

Venom
14-04-2006, 04:39:09
That too.

Centara Fugue
14-04-2006, 05:06:33
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
The only games I've bought are Oblivion and Neverwinter Nights, so... Neverwinter Nights.

SP

Hmmm, did you try some of the good player-made modules for NWN? Actually, I liked that game enough to play through the main campaign (but not beat it... I so seldom finish a game) by myself, but I found it much more fun when played with 2 friends. Player modules FTW.

That said, one of our friends played briefly with us, and his reaction to playing a low-level wizard was to go and attack the npc guards with his lowbie spells, bringing about his own instant and repeated death. He quit soon after. My fiance, when she played, seemed to enjoy it somewhat, but I think the game was a little slow for her taste. Too much running back and forth to uncover the story, an interface with a bit of a learning curve, and a lack of interest in the combat did her in.

But, JM^3 and I, and another friend of ours who is a good silent follower, made an excellent team through several of the player-made modules.

If I ever get around to playing real DND again, I'm going to roll a bard. I didn't realize how much the fairy singer type rocked until I played NWN. And, in real DND, there'd be so much more of an opportunity to RP.

But I digress from the thread. If you've made it this far, my "hatest" game is ... well here are some that come to mind:

Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge (NES)
not sure I really hate this one ^
Rayman Arena (PS2)

I can't think of too many others at the moment. I've rented many crappy games, but I've done my best to forget them.

Sir Penguin
14-04-2006, 07:12:59
Don't get me wrong, NWN was great, it's just that out of the two games I've bought, it's the worst. I played through the OC three times, and the expansions twice, as well as the Twilight, Midnight, and the Aielund Saga. I've done part of Witch's Wake, but I've hit a CTD bug and given up for the time being (if it's still there next time I try I'll move on to one of the other Premium modules).

SP

JM^3
14-04-2006, 09:47:22
I like MP far more than SP

so while Oblivion is an amazing SP game, NWN MP (with the good group Fugue described) was better

JM

Ellipsis
14-04-2006, 15:20:15
Simon the Sorcerer 3D

Skanky Burns
14-04-2006, 23:49:22
Another vote for Black & White.

BigGameHunter
18-04-2006, 06:42:08
My wife has purchased two PC games for me: the first was Freedom Force, which I thought was a lot of fun and well worth the time (anyone played the second v. Third Reich one that's out?) and the second was Lord of the Rings which, through my highly evolved sense of instinctual taste has never been opened. Something just seems wrong about that game...am I right?

Gary
18-04-2006, 10:32:08
Hmm not bought a game in quite a while, but more games than I care to recall.

As a general thought, many that allowed me to progress well in the magazine demo, but proved too difficult to succeed with once I'd stumped up for the real McCoy. (I don't claim to be good at these games, I just enjoy them if I make progress.)

Didn't get on with SMAX since I kept getting my arse kicked early on. Many strategy games seemed to suffer the same sort of problem.

IIRC it was the Magic the Gathering card game I played once at a friend's house, and it seemed good, bought the PC version and it sucked. Couldn't progress with anything without being challenged yet again. And when it had decided you wouldn't win, then you wouldn't. I know in frustration I started saving and restoring often enough to prove it.

Oh yeah, and Simon the Sorcerer and the find the one pixel that doesn't look out of place anyway, to click on to progress. I do wonder about some manufacturers - how they come to conclude it's legitimately difficult if one can't see what they're wanting anyway.

JM^3
18-04-2006, 10:34:04
yeah, that game sucked
JM

King_Ghidra
18-04-2006, 11:06:27
F16 Combat Simulator - C64

Whoever was responsible for this needs to be shot. I felt so betrayed by what i saw on screen after my expectations had been set by the PC screenshots on the box. Damn me, I was young and naive.

Fifa 96 - Sega Saturn

The first one on the at-the-time-next-gen Sega Saturn, and completely uncontrollable and awful in every way.

Actua Soccer 2 - psx

A bizarre physics experiment gone wrong.

Fifa 99 - psx

Like football, but for retarded children (Which was a shame because fifa 98 RTWC was pretty good).

Smackdown vs Raw 2006 - ps2

Gameplay is either stupidly easy or impossibly hard. Packed with options but yet somehow you still can't change the things you actually want to.

Actually i had to struggle to think of a bad game i bought on the ps2, i don't pick up many stinkers these days, being older, wiser and buying very little on a whim.

Beta1
18-04-2006, 15:11:48
I used to have this game called gansters:organised crime (I think)

Kind of like syndicate with tommy guns and a city to control using your hoods to intimidate and fight your way to power.

What could go wrong - well pretty much everything.

Venom
18-04-2006, 15:26:47
I didn't buy this game, but rather I won it in a contest.

Daikatana. Of course, I never opened it and played it.

Say....anyone want to buy an unopened version of Daikatana?

Funko
18-04-2006, 15:30:54
E-bay it in a few years, it'll be a retro classic

Venom
18-04-2006, 15:33:21
I just checked ebay. Not a single bid for any of the copies of Daikatana out there.

Chris
18-04-2006, 15:34:38
They are all holding back for the big rush on it.

Sir Penguin
18-04-2006, 19:27:49
You mean the buyers are holding back for the right to pay full price for their beloved game?

SP

The Mad Monk
20-04-2006, 08:15:56
How else could they prove the depth of their love?

Diss
21-04-2006, 20:14:50
Black and White
Star Wars: Rebellion
Command and Conquer
World of Warcraft
Everquest 2
Sim Golf
some Nascar racing game (can't remember which year)

I consider them bad because I got very little gameplay out of them.

Venom
21-04-2006, 20:16:30
Star Wars: Rebellion ain't that bad. It's not great, or even all that good, but it's alright.

Darkstar
21-04-2006, 20:19:26
That's a ringing endorsement, coming from Venom! ;)

King_Ghidra
24-04-2006, 08:31:57
Originally posted by Diss
Black and White
Star Wars: Rebellion
Command and Conquer
World of Warcraft
Everquest 2
Sim Golf
some Nascar racing game (can't remember which year)

I consider them bad because I got very little gameplay out of them.

you bought both wow and eq2 and decided you didn't want to play them?

buying one mmorpg and not playing it might be considered unfortunate, buying two mmorpg's and not playing them....etc.

Debaser
24-04-2006, 14:52:48
I don't really buy games anymore and never really did much, but Hunter on the Amiga was one game I was really looking forward to that turned out to be the most tedious thing ever. Anyone remember it?

http://www.amigames.de/spielepics/hunter.gif

Nills Lagerbaak
24-04-2006, 15:12:49
Hunter was awesome!! OK, so it didn't have a point to it but I just couldn't get tired of driving all those cool vehicles. And shooting the sea guls out of the air.

Nills Lagerbaak
24-04-2006, 15:13:40
I think worst game ever award had to go to Afterburner on the C64.

King_Ghidra
24-04-2006, 16:02:31
the hunter demo was awesome, i never played the full game though