PDA

View Full Version : Guadalcanal Diary

BigGameHunter
10-04-2006, 06:39:18
Is what I'm reading right now. Great journalist's take on the battles on the island in WWII with some horrific racist remarks and observations from a guy who seems like an ok dude!
I'm bound and determined to be a WWII expert...but I'm eyeing Churchill's extensive series of books on it with a certain amount of trepidation.
I've been finding a lot of 1st edition books from that era and buying them up. "Combined Operations" is next I think, by a Hilary St George Saunders

SYNOPSIS: "This is an astonishing, absolutely absorbing account of the accomplishments of those picked men from the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the royal Air Force, who work with the US Rangers and others of the United Nations in ...Combined Operations."

Interesting how slanted and sketchy the writing is during a war period. Kind of cool though...makes you feel like you were at home reading letters from the front.

Any good WWII books you'd suggest?

MOBIUS
10-04-2006, 09:30:11
I would suggest reading about the German glider landing on the Belgian fort of Eben Emael at the beginning of WWII.

Also Otto Skorzeny. I read Commando Extraordinary, but you can also read his own memoirs. An amazing man, and though apparently honourable he seems to be linked with the Nazi escape network Odessa after the war...

BigGameHunter
10-04-2006, 16:00:58
Cheers for the recommendations...haven't gone over to the dark side of the war reading yet, but did just pick up Goerhing's last days diary or some such.

The Norks
10-04-2006, 18:09:37
read Spike Milligan's war memoirs- genius

BigGameHunter
10-04-2006, 18:24:01
Cool...keep 'em coming!

jsorense
11-04-2006, 02:18:59
The Second World War -- by John Keegan;
(a great global overyview by a master)
Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45, by Barbara W. Tuchman;
(fascinating insight on the forgotten front)
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors : The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour -- by James D. Hornfischer;
(when heroes were easy to find)
An Army at Dawn : The War in Africa, 1942-1943-- by Rick Atkinson;
(lessons on how not to run a war)
A Bridge Too Far -- by Cornelius Ryan;
(man, those British paras could fight like hell) (man, those Dutch sufferered like hell)

BigGameHunter
12-04-2006, 00:54:12
Picked up Eagle Against the Sun, which is supposed to be a good account of the US v. Japan portion. Also, The Women Who Lived For Danger, Marcus Binney's account of ten women in Churchill's SOE program, basically paratrooping, ass kicking Mata Hari types!

Rodgers
12-04-2006, 14:05:11
Ivans War - Catherine Merrifield

Great description of life for Red Army soldiers in WWII - covers training, fighting and aftermath. A fantastic insight to the hell they all went through.

Chris
15-04-2006, 04:58:45
Tregaskas wrote GD from being there.

Been years since I read it, they made a movie out of it staring Loyd Nolan and William Bendix, was pretty good.