PDA

View Full Version : My Wonderful Day At Work

devilmunchkin
08-04-2006, 05:50:04
Today absolutely sucked monkey balls.

Overnight, 10 servers got hacked into. The part of Linux that causes the server to boot up was disabled/corrupted/deleted. Then their routers were reset and profiles deleted. By 10 servers I mean linux servers that are located in our client's medical offices. So we had 10 medical groups and their satellite offices dead in the water. The hacker got to these server through our main router...and he covered it tracks well. He also deleted the router log we keep to see who is coming and going on it.

Another problem we face is that these servers are located all over the state. We can't get to these people in the blink of an eye. We have 2 mailing their server, we were able to pick up 5 of them or go out to the site and fix them. I think only about 4 are fixed so far out of the 10.

So while my supervisor, the hardware tech, and the VP of the company scrambled to save our ass, i got to take all of the work that normally would be distributed among us and also pacify nurses/receptionists who were frantically calling us nonstop all day.

We know who did it. There are only 3 people in the company who have enough knowledge about the servers and router to do this. The VP, my supervisor, and Frank (the guy who wrote the linex program). Now out of these 3, Frank is the only one with a motive. Remember Milton from Office Space? That's pretty much what is happening to him now. The thing is, the VP refuses to even address the issue of who did this or punish Frank. Frank could easily do this again and has done it before. They changed the passwords on our router, but Frank is smart enough to figure a way around them.

If I don't hear a phone ringing again, my life will be complete.

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-04-2006, 07:29:51
The solution is easy. Have him whacked.

Darkstar
08-04-2006, 09:16:06
That makes very little sense. If they know it's Frank, they should have him arrested. What are they afraid of the cops finding when they come down to collect the evidence (computers)? Or are they afraid that the computers will disappear forever?

JM^3
08-04-2006, 09:17:50
Send Frank a stapler.

JM

Cruddy
08-04-2006, 22:51:01
Suggest in future you have a hardwired printer that lists the router log.

Hackers can't erase a hardcopy log.

If your bosses disagree, then quit because they clearly don't give a fuck about security. Make sure you let the local papers know.

Oerdin
09-04-2006, 04:36:31
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The solution is easy. Have him whacked.

You want to wack off who?

devilmunchkin
09-04-2006, 07:00:59
darkstar: you're right. it doesn't make sense at all. My supervisor tried to convince the VP to take action, and the VP wouldn't even talk to him. In addition, I suggested shutting our router off completely for the weekend. After doing all that restoration, what if he just goes in over the weekend and takes EVERYONE out?

THere is NO security at this place. And the ironic thing is, Frank is supposed to be our security tech in addition to programming.

JM: it's funny you say that. My supervisor was joking that he was going to go steal Frank's stapler.

mr_G
09-04-2006, 10:22:43
Originally posted by JM^3
Send Frank a stapler.

JM :lol:

mr_G
09-04-2006, 11:21:09
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
Frank is the only one with a motive. Remember Milton from Office Space? That's pretty much what is happening to him now. The thing is, the VP refuses to even address the issue of who did this or punish Frank. Frank could easily do this again and has done it before.

hey i am schtjoepit but why did he do that?

Darkstar
10-04-2006, 08:07:50
Bad spot. Clear out. Use the place to send out your resume and line up your next job. That's what I'd do.