PDA

View Full Version : Koy folds, buys PS2, fucks up

Koyaanisqatsi
05-04-2006, 19:14:23
I finally folded and got a PS2 for my fiancee's birthday. I also got FFXI to go with it, but it seems that the hard drive that comes with FFXI doesn't work with the model of PS2 they're selling these days. Does anybody know of a solution to this little problem? It's got USB ports...can I just drop the drive in a USB housing and call it good? I've got about 2.5 hours until she gets back from work...

This is why I hate consoles...ok, one reason...

Um, any good PS2 games out there?

Venom
05-04-2006, 19:24:22
Did we jump back to 2004 or something?

Koyaanisqatsi
05-04-2006, 19:27:39
Probably.

I said I hated consoles, didn't I?

Venom
05-04-2006, 19:31:52
You should have kept that hate going.

I know nothing about a PS2 and a hard drive.

Koyaanisqatsi
05-04-2006, 19:35:24
Well--and I might have mentioned this already--fuck.

Koyaanisqatsi
05-04-2006, 19:52:38
Dammit. I don't think this will work. And the only reason I got the game was to get the drive, but I don't think the drive will work the way I expect it to anyway.

Fucking consoles.

BigGameHunter
06-04-2006, 01:25:46
I have no idea what you are talking about but I enjoy my PS2 and usually buy titles that are at least a year old or more (cause I'm cheap and don't care).
My boys are loving Star Wars Lego now. I started Brothers in Arms Hill 30 yesterday and am enjoying that as well.

Asher
06-04-2006, 01:28:05
Sony's a fuckup, the PSTwo (slimline) doesn't support the harddrive.

HelloKitty
06-04-2006, 02:16:15
Return it and get an x-box or 360. Hell, get a gamecube... The gamecube lets you play Donkey Konga!

True you can't play FFXI on an x-box, but the bonus to that is you never have to play FFXI!!!

(There are some old threads debating FFXI if you want to read them. I found it dull and deliberatly painful to play with the worst pointless grind of any MMO, to the point it makes Korean MMOs look like fast leveling games.)

JM^3
06-04-2006, 02:26:38
Resident Evil (the one that came out last yeae) is an awesome game

JM

Koyaanisqatsi
06-04-2006, 03:43:16
I got a PS2 because she likes RPGs, but the laptop she uses isn't powerful enough to play anything more modern than Baldur's Gate II (and I have to work on my computer a lot of the time she might be playing.)

Yeah, the drive is going back. Who the hell made that design call?

HelloKitty
06-04-2006, 03:49:13
X-box doesn't have RPGs? It just doesn't have Final Fantasy.

Koyaanisqatsi
06-04-2006, 03:55:33
Any that are good? Fable was good, KOTOR I've never played but she probably wouldn't be interested in...other than that, I was under the impression most xbox RPGs sucked.

DaShi
06-04-2006, 04:01:55
PSII has a lot of RPGs. Try the non-MMO Final Fantasies.

Asher
06-04-2006, 04:02:12
Originally posted by HelloKitty
True you can't play FFXI on an x-box, but the bonus to that is you never have to play FFXI!!!

You can play FFXI on Xbox 360, and it's way better than the PS2 version.

JM^3
06-04-2006, 04:08:57
it is true that the PS2 is probably the best consol for Japanese Style RPGs

it does seem like the XBox360 will be the next consol to get though (most useful if you have an HD TV though)

JM

Koyaanisqatsi
06-04-2006, 04:10:55
Yeah, right. My TV doesn't even accept anything but composite. I might as well get an Atari.

DaShi
06-04-2006, 04:50:41
Lot of cool games on Atari.

Sir Penguin
06-04-2006, 05:30:14
Bioware's next big game is going to be 360-exclusive.

SP

HelloKitty
06-04-2006, 08:56:31
Originally posted by Asher
You can play FFXI on Xbox 360, and it's way better than the PS2 version.

Ewww. I looked. Comes out the 20th of this month.

360 is dirty now. Its hard to get the taint of that game off a system.

And how could it not be better than the PS2 version?

Asher
06-04-2006, 16:13:22
SquareEnix has announced an exclusive Xbox 360 game: http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2753_en.html

Centara Fugue
06-04-2006, 19:58:35
Originally posted by JM^3
Resident Evil (the one that came out last yeae) is an awesome game

JM

Yes, Jon and I played that one through on gamecube together (Resident Evil 4), and now there's a PS2 version with extra features. I'll probably get it once I get a PS2. Also, have a look at Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Be sure to get Katamari Damacy (I have both parts 1 and 2), and the Ratchet and Clank games are wonderful. Hmmm, God of War is pretty good, too, but it has girly bits in it if you aren't interested in that kind of thing (or if the fiance would dislike it).

I haven't tried it, but Xplay liked Dragon Quest VIII.

BigGameHunter
07-04-2006, 06:17:25
If you buy a 360 I suggest an investment in cooling fans (practical) and more drive muscle...I see a lot coming back these days. Maybe a small percentage, but still seems like a lot.
Ps2 has a lot of variety and a lot of stupid games as well. Baldur's Gate II has tons of gameplay and is a lot of fun on the console, though it does get a bit boring toward the end (I'm in the Onyx tower and it seems to go on forever now).
I still have my OG PS2 that has survived 5ft. falls and such...pretty impressive machine, all in all. Probably will go Ps3 someday but xbox graphics are indeed impressive.

Koyaanisqatsi
07-04-2006, 11:34:28
Nah, not getting a 360 yet. Too expensive and not enough games...I'm sure I'll get it in a couple years when it's cheap.

Koyaanisqatsi
07-04-2006, 18:58:12
Ok. Foolish drive is gone, and I replaced it with FFX, FFX-2, and Xenosaga II. Decent choices?

Centara Fugue
07-04-2006, 19:20:39
Ahem,

Yuck!

(Just personal preference, and perhaps it's changed now that I've gone form FPS junkie to MMO grinder)

Trying to recall other games I've heard are good if you're into RPGs, but failing miserably because I probably discarded that information. Jon? You're the man for those, but I wonder if you like that type of game so much that you like them all.

Darkstar
07-04-2006, 20:35:58
I've got all those titles. Still need to go back and play through XS2. It was just so slow and sluggish, that I set it aside for something slightly more interactive. I think it was--- God of War. Yeah. That's it. Not very japanese consolish, but at least I didn't fall asleep while playing it.

FFX was actually very short on its main plot line. But there were lots of side quests in it. And having to spiralgraph up the characters kept me from just jumping to the end. Its a good FF though, so if you are into, you should enjoy it.

No clue about FFX-2. My FFX-2 is still in the shrink wrap. It's still waiting to be played. I got distracted by GC2 beta testing.

Koyaanisqatsi
08-04-2006, 02:45:48
Um...does the fan in this usually sound like a model airplane preparing for takeoff?

(I hate consoles.)

JM^3
08-04-2006, 06:33:55
Originally posted by Centara Fugue
Ahem,

Yuck!

(Just personal preference, and perhaps it's changed now that I've gone form FPS junkie to MMO grinder)

Trying to recall other games I've heard are good if you're into RPGs, but failing miserably because I probably discarded that information. Jon? You're the man for those, but I wonder if you like that type of game so much that you like them all.

I have hardly played them that much for the last couple of years...

Suikoden 3 is good. Star Ocean is good.

Dragon Quest 8 is good (most recent one I have played).

I think htere are a couple others alos..

Jon Miller

Sir Penguin
08-04-2006, 08:30:37
Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
Um...does the fan in this usually sound like a model airplane preparing for takeoff?

(I hate consoles.)
My 360 sounds like a blow dryer, and it's been off for the last two hours. (I assume it has the fans going still because it's charging the wireless controller--why it needs fans to sent five volts to a USB port, I don't know)

The biggest noisemaker in consoles is the DVD drive, just like in PCs.

SP

JM^3
08-04-2006, 08:32:49
yeah, I wish they could make a noiseless optical drive...

JM

Centara Fugue
09-04-2006, 09:04:57
Koy,

How about Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, as well as Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2? Those are Japanese-style RPGs that X-Play seems to like quite a bit.

Koyaanisqatsi
09-04-2006, 20:00:31
I don't know, maybe at some point in the future. She's been playing FFX. I watched for a little while, but it seems like I've made flash movies with more interactivity than this game...run five steps, watch a cut scene, run two steps, attack something, watch another cut scene...but she seems to like it so far. Have to see if she gets bored with it after a while...I suspect I would be already.

The noise definitely sounds like a temperature-controlled fan...it only comes on after the system has been on for a little while, and it doesn't act like drive noise.

Asher
09-04-2006, 20:45:11
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
My 360 sounds like a blow dryer, and it's been off for the last two hours. (I assume it has the fans going still because it's charging the wireless controller--why it needs fans to sent five volts to a USB port, I don't know)

The biggest noisemaker in consoles is the DVD drive, just like in PCs.

SP
I think the powersupply fans are on if the powersupply is on, period.

Centara Fugue
10-04-2006, 00:36:05
Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
She's been playing FFX. I watched for a little while, but it seems like I've made flash movies with more interactivity than this game...run five steps, watch a cut scene, run two steps, attack something, watch another cut scene...but she seems to like it so far. Have to see if she gets bored with it after a while...I suspect I would be already.

That is one thing in favor of the Shin Megami Tensei games as compared to the ones you purchased: you actually end up getting to play much more and the cutscenes are fewer and farther between. Also, the difficulty is higher, because you need to use enemies weaknesses against them (rather than lather rinse repeat with the same attacks over and over with all enemies), and the enemies, likewise, will exploit weaknesses they find in you. Never played them, but that's what I've read and heard.

As far as games you will enjoy, and ones I know for a fact my fiance enjoyed (she's a mario/samus kinda girl), you can't go wrong with some of the ones I mentioned in my earlier post.

P.S. - I had the same response to watching my roommate playing his FFX (I think, maybe it was 7 or something, who knows). You just kinda sit there and watch the fight and between that you run around a bit.