PDA

View Full Version : The secret exocutioner

King_Ghidra
03-04-2006, 10:52:35
Heard about this on the radio this morning, fascinating stuff, and very english too really.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/featurepages/0,,1743973,00.html

Albert Pierrepoint was Britain's most prolific hangman, ending the lives of 400 men and women - including Ruth Ellis. Yet his wife, and the drinkers at the pub he ran, never knew. Now his extraordinary double life has been captured on film.

"I do not now believe that any one of the hundreds of executions I carried out has in any way acted as a deterrent against future murder. Capital punishment, in my view, achieved nothing except revenge." He should know. Albert Pierrepoint was, by far, Britain's most prolific hangman. Between 1934 and 1956, he executed more than 400 men and women, among them Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be hanged in Britain, Derek Bentley, Lord Haw-Haw (the wartime traitor William Joyce) and John George Haigh, the acid bath murderer. He put to death Timothy Evans, wrongly convicted of murdering his daughter, and subsequently John Christie, the real killer. He hanged large numbers of Nazi war criminals convicted at the Nuremberg trials, including Josef Kramer, the Beast of Belsen, and Irma Grese, the cruellest woman concentration camp guard of them all. These two were among 13 he executed on the same day.

MattHiggs
03-04-2006, 10:57:28
That sounds really fascinating. It's amazing that he never told his wife.

shagnasty
03-04-2006, 14:00:10
"Oh by the way love, I'm a mass murderer"

Sounds jolly interesting though.

King_Ghidra
24-04-2006, 12:22:44
my god i just noticed that i misspelt executioner :o

Venom
24-04-2006, 12:47:04
To the gallows with you!