PDA

View Full Version : Koster leaves SOE, SWG liscence expiring. SWG still Dead

HelloKitty
02-04-2006, 04:23:36
Well most of what is going on is rumor mill still, but Raph Koster confirmed he left SOE this week (www.raphkoster.com).

For those of you who don't know, Raph was the creater of Legend MUD, Ultima Online, then SWG. After SWG was out he took a job as cheif creative officer or something at SOE. So basicly one of the guys who created the MMO. He also pretty much created the original SWG game template, which was ruined with buffs etc when he moved up in the company, leading to the eventual CU, then the NGE and death of SWG.

Now for all the rumors!

The NGE was a massive disaster (ok not a rumor). LA messing around with the game killed it and caused a mass exodous from the Austin Studio.

Someone used a hacking trick a few weeks ago to see the numbers of players active at prime time in SWG, and estimated 50k subs total.

The respected devs and community corrrespondents for SWG have all left or been replaced by people like Brenlo (only Greg will know who Brenlo was).

Bioware opened a studio in Austin, just down the street from the SOE SWG offices in the last few weeks. A good portion of the programmers and art people are all former SWG programmers.

The bioware studio is for development of a MMO.

The rights for SOE to use Star Wars expire this year.

SOE reps said there were no plans to "sunset" SWG. LA reps said they had no plans to pull the rights and any contact they ahd with bioware could be for a future game.

LA also has been in contact with Crypic and NCSoft (Lineage, Guildwars, COH. COV, AutoAssault, etc). Who are also in texas.

NCSoft/Crypic have been poaching tons of staff from SOE and Blizzard, even opening a dev studio a few blocks away from the WoW HQ and apparently stealing half their Dev team last year after Vivendi/Blizzard fucked them.

DaShi
02-04-2006, 04:31:22
Think Bioware could be making a KOTOR-like MMO?

Shining1
02-04-2006, 06:46:37
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Darkstar
02-04-2006, 06:50:48
<scuba breath>
Luke. I am your father.
</scuba breath>

HelloKitty
03-04-2006, 06:00:28
Heh the rumors are completely untrue.

So untrue in fact that the head of SOE, Smedly, has posted several hundred posts in the last week on the SWG forums, up pretty high from the 30 total he had ever posted since the forums were created (4 years ago in beta?). He also is posting again on the FOH boards about this.

I think Smed may be for the block.

Asher
03-04-2006, 06:10:49
Who the fuck cares?

DaShi
03-04-2006, 06:56:03
So there are plans to 'sunset' SWG?

King_Ghidra
03-04-2006, 11:10:16
i see the kotor mmorpg as a definite. frankly i think it's what people wanted all along, the fun of star wars without the restraints of adhering to a dumb timeline and the no jedis thing

Darkstar
04-04-2006, 00:04:25
A MMO that could capture the feel and fun of KotOR? Several someone's would have to sell their soul for that to happen. But it would be a seriously killer app!