PDA

View Full Version : Race for Life

MattHiggs
31-03-2006, 12:58:22
Cancer Research UKs Race for Life began in 1994, with one race in Battersea Park: 680 women came together and raised 36,000 in sponsorship.

Twelve years on, Race for Life has grown to become the UKs biggest women only fundraising event. We have raised over a 100 million for Cancer Research UK and welcomed over 2 million women to our events.

This year we hope to raise 46 million by bringing 750,000 women together, all raising sponsorship to support the life-saving work of Cancer Research UK.

The missus is doing this in June. She's never really ran a long distance run before and not really done much exercise since Ben was born apart from the occasional early morning swim.

She started training last week and she is doing really well and managed to complete 2 miles in 17 minutes.

I'll upload some pictures of the event and give some progress reports as her training goes on.

It will be a great achievement for her to run 5K(3 Miles) by June especially as she has had operations on both feet a few years ago. She's determined to do this though as her Nana lost her battle against cancer.

Anyway, if any of you want to contribute to cancer research then you can sponsor her:

https://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/lucyk

Venom
31-03-2006, 13:11:00
Is it a general cancer thing or a breast cancer thing? Because breast cancer gets far too much attention, considering it's relatively high survival rate.

Venom
31-03-2006, 13:11:24
Although boobs are well worth saving.

shagnasty
31-03-2006, 13:16:01
I think it's a general cancer thing. Blokes should do a sponsored cycle ride to raise money for bollock cancer.
And jesjes they are worth saving very much.

MattHiggs
31-03-2006, 13:27:27
Originally posted by Venom
Is it a general cancer thing or a breast cancer thing? Because breast cancer gets far too much attention, considering it's relatively high survival rate.

It's a fundraising event for Cancer Research UK who support research for all kinds of cancer.

Venom
31-03-2006, 13:42:42
Alright then.

mr.G
31-03-2006, 14:44:08
Originally posted by Venom
Although boobs are well worth saving. b(.)(.)b

MoSe
31-03-2006, 14:45:17
No, no don't give a boob to me now,
save it for the morning after....

mr.G
31-03-2006, 14:46:47
duran duran is gayer than gay

Ginfizwithatwist
31-03-2006, 19:49:27
Originally posted by shagnasty
I think it's a general cancer thing. Blokes should do a sponsored cycle ride to raise money for bollock cancer.
And jesjes they are worth saving very much.

A very good idea, as it is a cancer that can be stopped in its tracks if caught early enough.
It is an insidous disease that affects principally younger men but unfortunately there is not enough publicity about it. ( Lance Armstrong and his Foundation notwithstanding)
Men, unfortunately are rather reluctant to go see a doctor if they feel a lump in their testicle until the disease is advanced and quite often it is the partner who discovers it.
So boys whilst y'all are having a general furtle with yer trouser furniture do yerselves a healthcheck, you should already know what feels right and what doesn't and please act on it if it doesn't :bounce:
Sorry to get a little serious but it is an important subject and I have met far too many young men with this disease.

Snotty
31-03-2006, 20:17:42
Rachel knows how to furtle, educate yourselves!

http://www.icr.ac.uk/everyman/rachelgetsfruity/flash.html

its even worksafe

MattHiggs
05-06-2006, 08:59:54
Just an update. Lucy finished the race in 35th place out 8000 in a time of 24 minutes. Not bad considering she dropped my MP3 player and had to stop and pick it up!

I'll upload a few pictures when I get home. The event was really good and had a great atmosphere - the 1 minute silence was emotional and it seemed like every runner had at least one person they were doing the race in memory of. Some people even had long lists of people who had died of cancer in their family :(

I think the overall total she raised was just over 130 which is great news!

mr_G
05-06-2006, 11:04:55
pround man walking !!!

MoSe
05-06-2006, 11:11:13
around his house naked?

indeed, you wrote "pround" which obviously means "proud around" :)