PDA

View Full Version : you know you've been up too long with nothing to do

devilmunchkin
25-03-2006, 12:54:14
when you are instant messaging yourself just to see what will happen.

Greg W
25-03-2006, 13:24:30
:lol:

Or you have been drinking for the last 5 hours (by yourself), watching:
- the commonwealth games
- super 12s rugby
- the cricket
- a special on U2

mr_G
25-03-2006, 13:46:55
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
when you are instant messaging yourself just to see what will happen. :lol:

Rekrul
25-03-2006, 13:49:02
What did happen???

Spartak@CPH
25-03-2006, 15:43:11
Something.

Diss
25-03-2006, 19:32:57
how could you instant message yourself? wouldn't that cause the universe to implode?

Greg W
25-03-2006, 21:14:11
Seems not.

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 04:01:26
no. it worked just fine. on yahoo i added myself to my friends list and msged myself and everything. i've done it on aim before too. i really am pathetic.

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 04:29:45
I can't IM anyone cos my pc is le shit and wont fecking run anything!

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 04:33:08
:(

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 04:39:58
I know! And I wanted to try IMing myself too :(

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 04:49:44
you arn't missing anything. the only thing it has helped me accomplish is that I've gained new insight as to the extent of my pathetic nature

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 04:54:30
Hell, it's something to do. I'm a close runner in being pathetic though, I did a happy squealy dance because someone gave me a used mini glittery green pen with a couple of cm ink left. About 5 min later I rocketed back on my chair screaming, huddled up and would not go near my switchboard because there was a tiny fucking money spider on it.

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 04:57:15
i stayed up til 5:30 am doing this though....

DaShi
26-03-2006, 04:59:30
You both could be up posting about flashing your beams.

Hi JM! :)

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 05:00:10
i don't have very big beams to flash..so no point

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 05:06:57
I don't give a *BEEP* keep lookin' at my *BEEP*
'Cause it don't mean a thing when you're only lookin' at my *BEEP*
Ha, I'm gonna do my thing while you're playing with yo *BEEP*

JM^3
26-03-2006, 05:52:50
i stayed up til 5:30 am doing this though....

But once you had done it once, why would you need to do it again?

JM

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 05:57:56
boredom..... weirdness...desperation..lol

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 05:58:19
you gotta let the novelty wear off first

JM^3
26-03-2006, 06:05:21
hmm, I do admit that it is funny

but if I am the only one appreciating the joke, and it is on me (if you would) I generally get bored of it sooner

I guess you did share it with us, which makes it a lot more worthwhile

JM

HelloKitty
26-03-2006, 06:05:50
IMing yourself. Like masterbation, without the fun!!!

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 06:06:37
kitty!! Queen of the one liners

JM^3
26-03-2006, 06:11:57
after 13 years masturbation is a bit less exciting also

JM

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 06:13:50
wow, you've been wanking since I was 4

JM^3
26-03-2006, 06:17:00
I am old :(

JM

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 06:21:21
I wondered if that'd make you feel old. Which you're not, I'm just too young.

DaShi
26-03-2006, 06:27:38
:( Still no beams.

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 06:35:42
kitty..i can't relate :)

JM^3
26-03-2006, 07:10:00
are you IMing yourself again?

JM

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 07:29:35
no but i'm tempted to ...

JM^3
26-03-2006, 07:37:29
hmm, how about reading a book?

I admit that I am getting a bit tired of my normal activities also, I really could use something different (like that CG meet)

JM
(I would have gone if the experiment had been working )

Lazarus and the Gimp
26-03-2006, 08:09:06
Originally posted by JM^3
I am old :(

JM

If it's any comfort, this means you've been bashing the bishop since I was 22.

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 08:12:17
Originally posted by JM^3
hmm, how about reading a book?

I admit that I am getting a bit tired of my normal activities also, I really could use something different (like that CG meet)

JM
(I would have gone if the experiment had been working )

a book..well, i did just start <i>The UPlift War</i> by David Brin. but I've already planned on doing my taxes and a review for the cd's laz sent me

JM^3
26-03-2006, 08:21:51
The Uplift War was alright, I didn't read it a second time though (which was common when I read it). I need to do my taxes also...

JM

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 08:41:04
I got a squeaky toy to hold! Isa big one, heavy too, and wriggley. ickley!!

JM^3
26-03-2006, 08:43:08
is it a dog toy or a baby toy?

JM

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 08:46:07
isa real live mini humanoid

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 08:46:29
only alright. i LOVED startide rising.... so i hope this one doesn't dissapoint me

alsieboo
26-03-2006, 08:50:59
life's full of dissapointments sweetie, you can only hope they get bigger so you've got something to feel better about next time

JM^3
26-03-2006, 08:53:14
hmm, I think I read Startide Rising first also..

I think I might be less of a Brin fan than you.

It has been a long time though.

JM

JM^3
26-03-2006, 08:53:50
Originally posted by alsieboo
isa real live mini humanoid

a mini me?

does it dance?

JM

Asher
26-03-2006, 09:12:51
So many posts without an avatar, I can't be bothered to see who posted.

Please adopt avatars for people like me.

Darkstar
26-03-2006, 09:14:13
when you are instant messaging yourself just to see what will happen.

Sounds like normal AE posting here. Post under one, then the other.

JM^3
26-03-2006, 09:19:06
I had an avatar

people asked me to remove it though

JM

JM^3
26-03-2006, 09:19:35
And it wasn't even as good as my Poly avatar (which I beleive got removed for me)

JM

Darkstar
26-03-2006, 09:20:08
Wasn't your avatar a black square with 3 neon pink JMs in it?

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 09:22:47
Actually, The Uplift War will only be the 4th book i've ever read by him. I read Glory Season as a child, but didn't start reading his other books until just recently.

I'm too lazy to be arsed with an avatar.

JM^3
26-03-2006, 09:24:27
Originally posted by Darkstar
Wasn't your avatar a black square with 3 neon pink JMs in it?

hmm, I may have had that for a short while

I had a sickly green jon miller which I was asked to remove (I beleive, I honestly don't remember well)

on apolyton I had a siezure inducing flashing jon miller...

JM

JM^3
26-03-2006, 09:43:29
Actually, The Uplift War will only be the 4th book i've ever read by him. I read Glory Season as a child, but didn't start reading his other books until just recently.

I'm too lazy to be arsed with an avatar.

I don't think I remember reading too many by him either...

Actually, thinking more about it, I liked the first one (of startide rising or uplift war) better. I don't remember why.

JM

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 10:27:54
well, the first one of the series was sundiver. i liked startide rising slightly better. i wrote a review on both if you ever want to take the time to read them.

JM^3
26-03-2006, 10:32:58
I wouldn't mind.. I think I only read two of that series, and startide rising and the uplift war are the two that sound familiar

JM

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 10:41:50
I can link you to my online journal or i can paste them here. Which would you prefer?

JM^3
26-03-2006, 11:06:59
which ever

JM

JM^3
26-03-2006, 11:07:23
pasted here if they are buried

JM

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 11:11:34
They are buried amongst all my other thoughts, so i'll paste.

Sundiver

I actually tried to start the Uplift Series halfway through on Book 4. The reason I thought I could get away with this was because it was supposed to be a "new" trilogy. Same universe and species but different plotline. Still, a bad idea to begin there because there are a multitude of words that Brin does not define in Book 4 but somehow I'm expected to know.

So, i made the decision to stop reading Brightness Reef about a third of the way through and go all the way back to Sundiver. I think I made the right choice. He's not using the same terminology, but that's probably because human's haven't made it out that far yet to discover all of these new species.

The book was definitely sci-fi but he's starting the series at a time when humans are only just begining to integrate themselves into intergalactic politics and whatnot. We join humans at a time when many aliens are very suspicious of humans because somehow it appears that humans got to where they are in the evolutionary chain and in space by themselves. This, of course, is completely taboo to all other alien races because they all live by the addage: "You had to get help to get where you are." It was pretty interesting to see how Brin painted the developing and unstable atmosphere that humans experienced both on Earth managing themselves and amongst aliens (because right now humans are struggling to prove themselves).

Generally the book was very well told and smooth. There are only a few things that I might have done differently.

First, Brin puts an all to obvious forshadowing scene in the book early on the makes the book predictable until the last third of the book. Early on he sets up one of the characters in the book as a bad guy by setting up a scene where one of the good guys describes the hostile alien in question as a demon. But only she and the audience know. We then sit through about half the book waiting for the rest of the characters to figure it out.

Secondly, Brin pulls and out-of-no-where spin on the plot by turning one of the characters viewed as an protagonist into the ultimate antagonist (even more so than the little demon he so obviously forshadowed). That he made such an obvious plot spoiler happen earlier in the book and then pulls a 180 later leaves me (the reader) feeling a little unsettled. In fact, when it happened I wasn't quite sure what was going on and had to reread the part where our nice, pleasant and innocent Culla goes nuts and tries to kill everyone on the Sundiver. In fact, Brin wrote the scene in such a way that I misinterpreted it as to think another character had flipped his wig and attacked people. I namely thought this because in the direct preceding scene, Brin had been discussing our main protagonist's schizophrenic tendencies and how his "bad side" had grown to hate his new lover. The next thing we know, Jacob (the main protagonist and part schizo) is knocking over a powerful lazer and trying to stuff a bag over Culla's head. What would that leave you to think? Most likely you wouldn't be thinking that Culla was trying to kill people since he hadn't exhibited any violent or subversive tendencies the entire book thus far.

Those were really the only two issues I had with the book. Overall, it was a really nicely written quick read unto itself and started introducing the major intergalatic themes that will carry this portion of the series for 2 more books. His writing style is very crisp and efficient. He doesn't delve into any needless description (unlike Anne Rice who uses a whole paragraph to desribe the burning of a candle and how it bathes a room in its sensuous glow). If you like sci-fi you probably will enjoy this series. It's not your typical "the hero goes in search of adventure and truth unknown," (granted that kind of star trek stuff can be pretty cool). It more about politics, intergalactic diplomacy (whereas I remember Star Trek et all just vaguely touching upon this subject) and the old question "why am i here? and who do i owe a debt to for my existance?". It's just a fun book overall. I do believe my favorite character was Fagin. He's a walking, talking plant who is kind of a Galdalf character of sorts. He sets Jacob in motion toward the adventure and then sits back and watches with glee (except when the killing starts).

Watch out for the ending, though, it gets very fast paced and you may need to read carefully or reread to get it all (unless I'm just substandard in my reading skills. Always possible).

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 11:12:37
Startide Rising

I loved this book! GREAT follow-up to Sundiver.

Basic plot: The first starship "commanded" by dolphins has discovered an abandoned fleet of star ships dating millions of years old. Now all of the older, more established races want to know what the dolphins (and the other humans plus 1 chimp) know (which we find out is very little. lol.). They are chased to a planet called Kirthrup where they are forced to land and make repairs on their ship. Above them, the other alien races fight over who gets to capture the Earthlings and below the dolphins fight themselves and the planet to save their skins and escape.

Interesting plot I think. At I didn't even realize it until after I was done, but Brin had taken us from the hot Sun in Sundiver to the waterworld of Kirthrup in Startide Rising. Granted it's blantanly obvious, you can't help but make a comparison here. And like Sundiver, you end up finding out that there is this ancient, powerful race actually living inside the planet of Kirthup (and boy do they get irate when disturbed).

There are mutiple main characters and Brin chooses to swap between all of the characters. This is in contrast to the one continuous point of view of the main characters in Sundiver. Brin loosely connects the two books by having two of the characters know the main character (Jacob Demwa) from the first book even though this story takes place 200-250 years later.

The real stars of the book, at least for me, were the dolphins (called neo-dolphins because humans have genetically altered them to be more...sentient). I loved the character Sah'ot. His scenes with Dennie (human scientist of some sort) were absolutely hilarious. I was completely thrown to see this dolphin openly making sexual advances on a human female. This occured at the beginning before I knew who was who so I was thinking "oh dear, he's entering some beastiality plot line or he's going to have that dolphin go nuts and rape that woman." However, none of the above happened. Sah'ot just ended up being a horny deprived dolphin that didn't get any and Dennie randomly sluts herself out to one of the workers on the ship. Ahh...I have to quote some of this (dolphins lisp. Credeiki is the captain):

(Keep in mind the dolphin has just swam up to Dennie and rubbed her ass with his fun)

Denni's heart pounded. "Shark breath! Doggerel-rhymer! Go make love to an unwashed speciman bottle!" Her voice cracked.

[...]

"Aw, Dennie,"Sah'ot signed. "I was jussst trying to thank you for interceding with Credeiki. Obviously your charms are more persuasive than any arguemtnst I might raise. Sorry if I sstartled you."

Dennie sniffed at Sah'ot's double-edged apology {...}

Without even turning around, she could feel Emerson D-Anite grinning behind his hand. Male, she thought. Do they ever grow up?

"Um, Dennie?" Sah'ot's voice crooned like a string trio. "There is one small matter we have to disciss, if we are going to be on this expedition to the island together. Will you be churlish and let Credeiki choose the science commander on the basis of prejudice? Or will you give me a chance? Maybe we can wrestle for it-t-t?"

D'Anite started coughing. He turned the other way and clear his throat.

Dennie blushed.

{...}
When D'Anite was out of earshot Sah'ot sidled close to Dennie. "Shall we start planning our expedition?" His blowmouth was near her ear.

Dennie started. Suddenly she noticed that everyone had gone. Dennie's heart beat faster, and her facemask seemed not to provide enough air.

"Not here we won't!" She spun away andbegan swimming. "Let's go to the wardroom, there are plotting boards...and airdomes! A man can breathe in there!"

Sah'ot kept pace, uncomfortably close.

"Aw, Dennie..."he said, but he didn't press. Instead, he began to sing a low, atonal, hybrid melody in a complex and obscure dialect of Trinary.

Against her will, Dennie found herself drawn into the song. It was strange, and eerily beautiful, and it took her several minutes to realize that it was also dirty as hell.

-end-

If you don't take it seriously, which I didn't because it was so blown up, it's incredibly funny. Scenes like this are peppered through out the book, although you eventually find out Sah'ot is harmless.

Another thing Brin does differently from Sundiver is he starts taking us into the minds of these alien races. We see how they think (and you have to read carefully because they think alot differently than we do!).

Alot of the things I found wrong with Sundiver have been fixed in this book. There is no obvious forshadowing, if anything it's took subtle to detect (with the exception of the mad, giant dolphin, K'tha-Jon. You can tell right away something is off and wrong and you do actually find out what later) and i'll need to do a second read to find it . There is no illogical, out of the blue twist either. Any twist that does occur is does not seem all that impossible.

Look for what makes Sah'ot different from K'tha-Jon even though they are both experimental Stenos dolphins. Hint: there is a slight difference in the genes that were used to produce them.

One of the few complaints I will have is something I mentioned above. There was this gratuitous scene between Dennie and Toshio that I felt did nothing for the book. It made them both look cheap. But then again, maybe Brin wants us to see how humans can screw around just because they can.

By far this is a smoother and superior book to its predecesor. Much more enjoyable. Question is, will The Uplift War top it? Brin made me like the characters of Startide so much, so if he continues his trend and introduces an all new cast, it will be hard to top. I became quite attached to the crew of the Streaker.

JM^3
26-03-2006, 11:25:30
Hmm, when will you have a review of Uplift War? I know I read that one.

JM
(now I am thinking it was Uplift War and Brightness Reef...)

devilmunchkin
26-03-2006, 11:32:05
When i finish it :) I just finished the first chapter a bit ago but haven't had time to sit down and read more since.

Greg W
27-03-2006, 02:16:59
I've seen some depressing threads before, but you lot moaning about your lives just about takes the cake. :p

I prescribe happy pills for all, and a round of group masturbation. That should make you all feel better.

chagarra
27-03-2006, 02:31:01
Don't forget there are six of them in the series....JM has it right.... That's spooky.

:nervous:

devilmunchkin
27-03-2006, 04:27:39
actually, i wasn't moaning. I was poking fun at myself.

Tried starting the series at book 4 *because it was supposed to be another plotline) but I was getting stuck on the lingo. Decided to go back to the beginning.

Greg W
27-03-2006, 11:39:01
I know. Thus the sticking my tongue out. Thus: :p

Wow, I used thus in two sentences in a row. :nervous:

Greg W
27-03-2006, 11:39:32
Oops, three. :eek:

JM^3
27-03-2006, 11:45:07

Tried starting the series at book 4 *because it was supposed to be another plotline) but I was getting stuck on the lingo. Decided to go back to the beginning.

Yeah, I think I started with Brightness Reef also (right after it came out). Than went back to Uplift War. Than didn't read any more of the series.

Jon Miller
(I definitely don't remembre dolphin molestation)

devilmunchkin
27-03-2006, 20:52:33
well, i copied it straight out of the book.....

Diss
27-03-2006, 21:05:23
Originally posted by alsieboo
wow, you've been wanking since I was 4

perhaps he started wanking when he was 4. :)

Diss
28-03-2006, 04:57:39

moaning, poking, and masturbation talk all in one thread. hmmm.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
28-03-2006, 07:27:21

I bought the first 4 because they were in the bookstore together. Then I decided to wait until the second trilogy was finished before starting any of them.

Eventually, the 6th book came out, and I started. By far the most enjoyable book of the series was Startide Rising, the rest aren't quite as good (but they're still all fairly good).

Book1 is setup of the universe, books 2 to 6 are the actual story.

The last couple of books really pull the focus back and we get to see life in the universe at large, wheras 1-4 are planet bound (four different planets though).

MoSe
28-03-2006, 08:49:47
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Book1 is setup of the universe

you mean, a mere listing of RPG rules and characters and the like???
:lol:

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
29-03-2006, 02:33:43
Actually, yes :)

JM^3
03-04-2006, 06:59:27
I have read three (?) books since this was last posted in

plus read parts of several more

so are you done yet?

JM

devilmunchkin
03-04-2006, 07:01:58
no....i've been moving slower. these instances of sitting in front of the computer staring off into space have been increasing

JM^3
03-04-2006, 07:13:58
huh...

sounds like you need something new

JM

devilmunchkin
03-04-2006, 07:22:48
i need alot of things right now

JM^3
03-04-2006, 07:25:25
need, or want?

JM

JM^3
03-04-2006, 07:25:59
maybe simplify, simplify, simplify?

JM

JM^3
03-04-2006, 07:38:41
what do you need btw?

JM
(only mean to pry because I am eating, and not working)

devilmunchkin
03-04-2006, 16:41:51
:)

TCO
09-04-2006, 20:09:07
Insert troll.

BigGameHunter
10-04-2006, 06:31:13
Please rename this thread to "Myspace".
Thank you.

TCO
16-04-2006, 12:18:06
I liked the first ones. But the second trilogy...was just awful. Threw the books accross the room and refused to read them.

JM^3
16-04-2006, 16:05:23
Did he write the ones about the robots against humans in the center of the galaxy?

Jon Miller

devilmunchkin
16-04-2006, 21:56:38
i don't know...sounds kinda funny though.

I had started the first book to the second trilogy and so far it wasn't bad..i just couldn't understand alot of the madeup words he used. So i went back to see if he ever defined them. so far no...

still working on uplift war, btw. i like it . just not as much as startide rising.

Chris
17-04-2006, 00:00:47
I can't IM myself as I have blocked me.