PDA

View Full Version : Don't go drinking in Texas

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 22:01:23
URL:
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=2006-03-23T150137Z_01_N22388344_RTRUKOC_0_US-BARS1.xml

Summary:
Texas is cracking down on drunks causing trouble by putting plainclothed officers in bars around the state and arresting anyone that is "drunk".

BlackCat
23-03-2006, 22:04:54
The yanks really amazes me - they are allowed to carry heavy weapons and shoot people if they step on the wrong lawn, and this while their police is busy catching people on their fourth beer :D

devilmunchkin
23-03-2006, 22:09:03
texans arn't considered yanks. yankees are from the new england region. texans are southern US (and in the war, they were on the confederate side).

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 22:11:45
Hey, I'm a yank, and I'm amazed at this. I can only theorize that this is election year shannanigins, so that the Governor (and other State officials) can claim they are working hard to make the common citizen of Texas safer.

Of course, it is much easier to go into a bar and arrest people for being drunk in public then it is to go out and find real criminals who have commited serious crime.

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 22:13:49
DM, you are thinking "Yankee". Although many Southerners would take offense being called a "yank". This is an international community though, so doing so here is just beyond Drekkus stupidity.

BlackCat
23-03-2006, 22:17:07
Yup, yanks are those on the other side of the pond. Though, some of them calls themselfs canucks.

Oerdin
23-03-2006, 22:20:30
Texas is filled with a lot of Christian fundimentalists who see alcohol as the devil's juice. I too am amazed that these people private citizens drinking in a private club is a bigger problem then random gun violence fueled by laxed gun laws. Not surprisingly these states which pass out guns to everyone who wants one also have the highest rate of gun violence and crime in general. So much for the argument that guns make people safer.

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 22:23:48
Is this going to turn into a gun control thread?

I have met very few Christian fundies that actually think alcohol is the devil's juice. But I have met a lot of Christian fundies that think most people shouldn't drink it because it makes other people act stupid (it's just fine for them though). Come to think of it, I've met a lot of agnostic and athiests that think the same thing.

BlackCat
23-03-2006, 22:32:52
You are quite right - I also think other people acts stupid when I'm drunk ;)

devilmunchkin
23-03-2006, 23:02:27
Originally posted by Oerdin
Texas is filled with a lot of Christian fundimentalists who see alcohol as the devil's juice. I too am amazed that these people private citizens drinking in a private club is a bigger problem then random gun violence fueled by laxed gun laws. Not surprisingly these states which pass out guns to everyone who wants one also have the highest rate of gun violence and crime in general. So much for the argument that guns make people safer.

what are you talking about. Rednecks LOVE TO DRINK!!! ever been to a rodeo in texas??? huh? huh? lol.

edit: and being from texas, if anyone ever called me a yank, my response would be "whatchu talkin bout, willis?"

Oerdin
23-03-2006, 23:06:16
Never been to a rodeo period. :( I do know that our rural brothren like their drink and instead was talking about the religious fundimentalists. The same ones who got alcohol outlawed not to long ago. ;)

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 23:06:59
DM, didn't you live in Texas before you moved to Cali?

devilmunchkin
23-03-2006, 23:08:07
well, those southern baptists sure do like to chug it at clubs thursday-sunday ^^

devilmunchkin
23-03-2006, 23:09:19
Originally posted by Darkstar
DM, didn't you live in Texas before you moved to Cali?

see my edit.

i was born in maine. lived 20 years in texas after that. half my family is are yanks and the other half are rednecks. so, i kinda consider myself an expert on the subject ^^

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 23:15:15
Oerdin, those aren't Fundies. Those are the Christian Loons. The vast majority of Fundies drink--- whether it's beer, wine, coolers, or whatever. How else do you think that get that "beer gut" to complete the classic "Southern" look? ;)

devilmunchkin
23-03-2006, 23:25:20
or that they can stand to wear a mullet.

Fistandantilus
24-03-2006, 00:01:37
Texas is filled with a lot of Christian fundimentalists who see alcohol as the devil's juice.

Christians hate alcohol? Since when? :confused:

Kitsuki
24-03-2006, 01:29:34
I was drinking alcohol in church aged 12 (ie. long before I started drinking of my own accord.) Small mercies in a Catholic upbringing...

MoSe
24-03-2006, 09:56:41
:eek: WHY have I so far thought that dm was a brit????

:lol: :o

devilmunchkin
24-03-2006, 16:22:38
because i <3 brits! :) but alas, i'm not one. I can't even fake a decent british accent. :(

edit:maybe you had me confused with alsie?

MoSe
24-03-2006, 16:36:24
I hadn't mistaken your identity, just your context :cute:

Or maybe i didn't think possible to imagine a dark lady with black nails outside UK... ;)

devilmunchkin
24-03-2006, 17:41:30
who also lives in the bright and shiny state of california no less..and who grew up in the brighter, shinier state of texas amonst the rednecks....

no no, i'm not odd at all. :D

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 19:36:43
Redneck Goths are very common. Now, I hear they are pretty rare out in Cali. Is that true?

Diss
24-03-2006, 20:46:57
I hadn't planned on drinking in Texas. But this thread confirms it.

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 20:49:16
You are planning on staying out of the Americas, aren't you?

devilmunchkin
24-03-2006, 20:52:41
in the part of cali i'm in, there are a lot of rednecks. however, i don't think any redneck goths. what is a redneck goth anyway? how will i know one when i see it?

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 20:59:55
Well, she'll be dressed in black, have black fingernails, have her hair dyed black, etc etc etc.

The biggest give away tends to be things like she drives a pickup truck, lives in a trailer outside the city limits, etc etc etc. ;)

Honestly, a lot of redneck kids go Goth. It's just like they all went Demon/Death metal in the decade before, and Punk before that, etc etc etc. It's the popular alternative to going "gangsta".

Most can be surmised as the conformists trying to be "non-conformists".

Diss
24-03-2006, 21:06:16
redneck goth. :lol:

Diss
24-03-2006, 21:07:09
Well, she'll be dressed in black, have black fingernails, have her hair dyed black, etc etc etc.

The biggest give away tends to be things like she drives a pickup truck, lives in a trailer outside the city limits, etc etc etc. ;)

Honestly, a lot of redneck kids go Goth. It's just like they all went Demon/Death metal in the decade before, and Punk before that, etc etc etc. It's the popular alternative to going "gangsta".

Most can be surmised as the conformists trying to be "non-conformists".

I'm actually a non-comformist trying to be a conformist. I want to be like other people, but fail miserably. :)

devilmunchkin
24-03-2006, 21:07:40
i thought most kids were going poser punk these days and not goth.

however, i can say then that i haven't seen any redneck goths in tx or cali....

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 21:10:14
So you are the anti-Goth? You dress all in white, celebrate life's blessing constantly until people around you beat you, give out free tabs of LSD and Ecstacy, provide random hugs of love, and write really cheesy happy hi-ku? ;)

Diss
24-03-2006, 21:18:27
So you are the anti-Goth? You dress all in white, celebrate life's blessing constantly until people around you beat you, give out free tabs of LSD and Ecstacy, provide random hugs of love, and write really cheesy happy hi-ku? ;)

well maybe not. :). I do frequently dress in all black, but never will I wear makeup. :).

But I do want to be cheery and sociable like other people.

devilmunchkin
24-03-2006, 21:25:32

maybe i'm "goth" but not "redneck goth" i never wear all white.