PDA

View Full Version : Games: they help you create, they help you destroy

King_Ghidra
23-03-2006, 15:30:46
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2006/03/22/gamers_think_and_kill_differently.html

Two highly contrasting pieces on how games affect behaviour have turned up this week. First, Sims creator Will Wright has written a rousing editorial (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/wright.html) for Wired in which he celebrates the creative thinking engendered by videogames, and how this generation are learning differently because they've grown up in front of PCs and consoles. From the article:

"In an era of structured education and standardized testing, this generational difference might not yet be evident. But the gamers' mindset - the fact that they are learning in a totally new way - means they'll treat the world as a place for creation, not consumption. This is the true impact videogames will have on our culture."

Did that make you feel all sunny and positive? Check this story on Rawfeed.com. Turns out that American soldiers in Iraq are excelling at using remote-controlled weapon systems, because they've grown up playing games:

"CROWS (Common Remotely Operated Weapons Systems) - which are big guns manned remotely by someone inside an armored vehicle with a joystick and live cam - have proved highly successful in Iraq because the soldiers operating them grew up playing (presumably first-person shooter) VIDEO GAMES. Experienced gamers have no difficulty gaining total situational awareness and whipping around the video camera on the guns, spotting hints of trouble and blasting anything that moves."

Indeed, this article (http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/001289.html) suggests that, not only are soldiers better at using certain weapons because of their videogame experience, the weapons themselves could even have been inspired by in-game arms.

Games change the way people think and act - that's the shared message. Make of it what you will, but the new ideas generated by a gaming society aren't all going to fit into Wright's interesting but rose-tinted vision. Creativity, as we have always known, is amoral.

maroule
23-03-2006, 15:47:12
that is very feel good

I reckon a very large part of my life was spent playing video games. It's probably the form of leisure I've spent the most hours on. Now it turns out it made me creative, and a good recruit for the US army.

Venom
23-03-2006, 16:13:32
Like all massive societal changes and advancements effects branch out and influence everything at many different levels. It's more a matter of technology than computer games directly. Games are after all just an offshoot of the advanced technology.

MoSe
23-03-2006, 16:28:22
having spent years playing all possible tetris variants, especially tube and 3D, I should have become an expert in fitting in indeed

maroule
23-03-2006, 16:37:51
Originally posted by Venom
Like all massive societal changes and advancements effects branch out and influence everything at many different levels. It's more a matter of technology than computer games directly. Games are after all just an offshoot of the advanced technology.

Darkstar, quit using Venom's login

Nav
23-03-2006, 16:44:54
I can already picture the future of war: Fat geeks remote controlling weapons of mass destruction...

MoSe
23-03-2006, 17:04:19
you can build:

- antimatter shard shock gravship
- trance fusion super former
- nanohospital
- quantum replicator
- fusion speeder supply

every fat geek knows that formers and crawlers make you win the game

Fistandantilus
23-03-2006, 18:03:30
other fat geeks know that air superiority owns little undefended crawlers and makes you win the game faster :p

Darkstar
23-03-2006, 20:44:42
Games have always been used to teach, and to learn. We know this predates the apes.

Video games have given us the widest variety of gaming yet for playing, and in doing so, learning.

DaShi
24-03-2006, 02:03:24
Originally posted by Nav
I can already picture the future of war: Fat geeks remote controlling weapons of mass destruction...

Future wars will be settled in games of Civ IV.

Venom
24-03-2006, 04:44:38
Considering the time....Fuck you you dick sniffing French shitface.

maroule
24-03-2006, 08:36:56
Originally posted by Venom
Considering the time....Fuck you you dick sniffing French shitface.

what do you mean "considering the time"?

King_Ghidra
24-03-2006, 09:02:44
x-fear! :shoot:

maroule
24-03-2006, 09:27:17
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
x-fear! :shoot:

there, have another helping

MoSe
24-03-2006, 09:32:28
Originally posted by Darkstar
We know this predates the apes.
you mean you're an ape-predator???

Originally posted by Darkstar
Video games have given us the widest variety of gaming yet for playing, and in doing so, learning.

I have seen TOO MANY american movies about an average joe, or better, jane, who could land a 747 under extreme conditions only because he/she had fiddled a bit with MS Flight Simulator...
:rolleyes: :lol: :p ;)

maroule
24-03-2006, 09:43:45
americans learn only to land, saudis only to take off

MoSe
24-03-2006, 09:48:42
they call that "international cooperation"

maroule
24-03-2006, 10:14:17
but I'm sure you could figure out how to fly a piper if you're good at FS

Deacon
24-03-2006, 10:20:45
Actually, I think the distant future is self-aware machines. Open the pod bay doors, Hal.

But seriously, today's long range missiles are already smart enough (once programmed) to find their way to their targets without human intervention. The switch from transistors to ICs enabled a quantum leap from the intelligence of a gnat to that of a roach. Considering how long it took nature to make roaches, I think our catch-up effort is going well. There's one man who's even started a DIY cruise missile project as a proof of concept.

MoSe
24-03-2006, 10:38:22
next. all missiles will be connected in a single collective conscience, and they'll all learn from the mistakes of the already launched ones

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 19:15:56
And that collective conscience will be called "Sky-Net". :D

Actually, the DoD does have an AI project called "Sky-Net", with the project goal of it commanding all the US military. Won't happen, of course, as it's just a simple research project, but I thought it funny that they changed the name of the project to "Sky-Net" after the Terminator movies. Probably helped on getting more funding. ;)

Maroule, Venom has left forever for NYC. So that's the time he's talking about. Sneaking in a bit of last posting or posting while away from his cave-trailer.

MoSe, don't dis on American Gamers. Some of us could get a 747 off the ground, into the air, and back down again from just playing games. For instance, 747 Jumbo Jet Sim, published in 1979 or so. ;) And some 747s only need a gamer to press the button to start the automated landing sequence, IIRC.

Deacon
24-03-2006, 19:48:13
So Skynet could function either as a doomsday device or it might just decide to shoot first. :)

Venom
25-03-2006, 04:16:25
Sky-net is a metaphor for gay marriage.

Shining1
25-03-2006, 15:08:18
Another twenty years and this hobby is going to be just like watching a movie or reading a book... =/

The subject material can be a bit dodgy. The actual medium itself, however, has no problems at all.

Shining1
25-03-2006, 15:09:00
Originally posted by Deacon
So Skynet could function either as a doomsday device or it might just decide to shoot first. :)

With it's infinite range missiles! =D

Deacon
25-03-2006, 23:24:51
It's a bug that might actually be a feature, since I usually get missiles before the AI does. Build as many as you can before the 8-bit integer overflow makes all your missiles vanish (about 254?), then declare war, "automate all units" and watch the explosions. :)

Drekkus
27-03-2006, 15:09:10
The final step will be states firing virtual rockets at each other, calculating the impact and virtual number of casualties, and the state that is hit has to humanely destroy that number of lives from their society. :D

MoSe
27-03-2006, 16:04:14
They'll just send'em to some bigbrotherrealitysurvivorisland

Darkstar
28-03-2006, 03:43:43
Drekkus, yes, but the humane termination centers will be built by Diebold, so that it will quad count some terminations, and not count any others.