PDA

View Full Version : Tony Martin TV Documentary

Walrus Feeder
16-03-2006, 22:23:59
Found myself intrigued by the documentary on BBC1 about the much publicised case of farmer Tony Martin who shot dead a burglar in his farmhouse a few years back. Did anyone else see it?

For some reason it seemed like objective of the programme makers was to make you feel sympathetic toward that Brendan Fearon character who with the 16yr old Fred Barras in tow(who Martin shot dead), travelled 80 miles to intently break into thr farmer's house.

It's obviously not good that the 16yr old was killed when Mr Martin fired shots towards them in the dark, but Brendan Fearon seemed a little pissed off that he had not been warned before being shot at! Hey, but given the circumstances, I have no problem with what Mr Martin did, because he was outnumbered, probably scared shitless and I think did act in self defense. No one ever seems to consider that if he had not had the gun (be it illegally held or not) that the two burglars may have turned on him and killed him instead, which is what has happened in some recent burglaries in this country. I think if you break into someone's house be prepared for the worst. Although Tony Martin was directly responsible for the boys death, Brenan Fearon doesn't seem to take into account that he was partly responsible for his death too, and just seemed to think about his own safety once fleeing the crime scene.

Gary
17-03-2006, 00:10:33
It's been extensively discussed. Even to an extent here.

Funko
17-03-2006, 08:57:35
I watched The Falling Man docco on channel 4 because Debaser and Gramercy said it sounded really good and there was nothing else on.

That was pretty interesting.

Walrus Feeder
17-03-2006, 22:56:40
Yeah, i was channel hopping a little bit and saw bits of it, bu ont a lot which seemed really new to me. All the bible-bashers in the mid-west protesting about the coverage of the graphic images of one man falling seemed a little ridiculous. Can't hide your head in the sand all the time folks.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-03-2006, 08:31:59
How were they determining Fearon's feelings on the subject? Via a ouija board?

Walrus Feeder
18-03-2006, 11:08:31
Apparently he got paid about 4,500 to appear in the programme but just mumbled along in an unintelligent manner.

Funko
20-03-2006, 09:16:41
Originally posted by Walrus Feeder
Yeah, i was channel hopping a little bit and saw bits of it, bu ont a lot which seemed really new to me. All the bible-bashers in the mid-west protesting about the coverage of the graphic images of one man falling seemed a little ridiculous. Can't hide your head in the sand all the time folks.

The "bible bashers in the midwest" thing is a bit unfair. I don't remember anyone in the section where people were complaining about the picture being run in the paper mentioning god. The picture is a really powerful image and I think they were just shocked by it.

That's the point really, it's bound to shock people because of the things it makes you think of.

Oerdin
20-03-2006, 13:50:18
Every man should have the right to defend his family and his home against intruders bent on harming them.

Lazarus and the Gimp
20-03-2006, 17:26:57
It's the "and his home" which is the sticking point under English law. It does not generally permit lethal force being used to protect property.