PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas says...

Darkstar
06-03-2006, 19:19:58
That the smashing mega-success of Brokeback Mountain and the utter failure of Kong prove Hollywood is dead. In the future, and Joe Schmoe will be able to make a movie for the $15 million he can scrape up out of his home's sofas. Hollywood is now out of business, and all future movies will be "Brokeback".

Er... I think I need to go over to his house and check his sofas for loose millions!

JohnT
21-03-2006, 06:03:39
George Lucas is a 'tard. BBM was a better movie than King Kong. I also have no idea why one movie financed and made by Hollywood insiders being better than another movie financed and made by Hollywood insiders somehow tolls the death knell for Hollywood. If anyone wants to clarify this one for me, I'd truly appreciate it.

Perhaps he's losing faith in a Hollywood (and audience) that no longer bends to his visions like they used to in 1977.

JohnT
21-03-2006, 13:13:25
I mean, this is a guy who has averaged $150,000,000/year in income since 1997 and he's telling us that "Hollywood is dead?"

Give us a fuggin' break, George. Take Steve out to dinner and cry yourselves a river.

Darkstar
21-03-2006, 19:46:17
I *think* he's saying that films that are made cheaply (BBM) and with little crew are now the direction that most future movie productions will head, rather then the big budget and big crews (Kong) of the normal big studio. The small budget films should be easy to finance and make, so the mega-studios will lose all control of the market place; therefore, their old business model is now on its way to extinction.

That's entirely a guess, though. I basing it on the fact that is always what gets said by some "knowledgable insider" whenever a "smaller" movie is a hit with Hollywood itself (BBM) or the public (My Big Fat Greek Wedding).

JohnT
21-03-2006, 20:28:43
Yeah... well, I'm trying to get my head around the fact that a film costing $15,000,000, featuring Ang Lee as the directory, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllingham as the stars, written by Larry McMurtry and co-produced by Paramount isn't "Hollywood" and, in fact, is something that can be done with the "spare change" found in peoples' couch.

JohnT
21-03-2006, 20:30:09
Regardless, I think George is wrong. King Kong didn't do well because audiences were rejecting the type, it didn't do "well" because the movie wasn't all that good.

Same thing with the crap he's been peddling for a decade now.

Debaser
22-03-2006, 09:30:15
Where did George Lucas say this just out of interest?

Venom
22-03-2006, 14:54:20
This may be another Darkstar translation special. Just like his Final Fantasy XII thread.

King_Ghidra
22-03-2006, 15:23:25
yep don't worry, he'll be along in a while to tell us it was just a joke and to stop getting so worked up about it

Darkstar
22-03-2006, 18:25:12
He said it on Oscar night at an Oscar party during one of those stupid interviews. The link I had for it is dead now, or I'd post the original source where I found his comments.

What he said near exactly was that BBM proves that any film student or wantabee director that wants to make a blockbuster movie will be able to finance the movie using the money they have lieing around in their household or accounts. The way he said it so trivially, and that "household or accounts", well, most household accounts of film students is their couch and the loose change in it. It would seem he must have $10 to $15 million in cash just lieing around in his couch (or somewhere else in his house). ;) I suspect he was a bit drunk at the time, but I'm not a big Lucas chaser so I don't know if that was normal or not for him. I suppose he could have simply forgotten that most people that are into film or want to get into it professionally are not going to be able to just tap their own finances for that sort of money. Most people houses aren't worth that much. And they won't be able to go down to the local bank and use their houses to secure the sort of money that BBM is supposed to have cost to make.