PDA

View Full Version : 30 minute or so spore preview video.

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 08:15:29
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore

Looks like someone "leaked" a copy of a demo at a trade show.

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 08:59:44
Holy hell, that looks awesome!

MattHiggs
02-03-2006, 10:50:03
That is going to be the best game ever created!

Immortal Wombat
02-03-2006, 11:59:56
Fun and educational.

MDA
02-03-2006, 12:15:20
wow, incredible

mail order monsters meets the sims meets sim city

Centara Fugue
02-03-2006, 15:50:57
looks pretty cool

Immortal Wombat
02-03-2006, 16:34:13
It looks shite. It looks like they came up with a rather cool algorithm, and then decided to apply it to every single situation they could think of so that nobody else could gazzump them. It will be a badly mashed together collection of 8 different games, any one of which could have been great, but which together are just a purposeless jumble of "almost-fun" scenarios that have no cohesion and take 6 months to play through a single time, because they left out a win-condition.

LoD
02-03-2006, 16:56:00
Gee whiz, sounds exactly like the Sims...

MDA
02-03-2006, 17:11:27
:lol:

Venom
02-03-2006, 18:02:39
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
It looks shite. It looks like they came up with a rather cool algorithm, and then decided to apply it to every single situation they could think of so that nobody else could gazzump them. It will be a badly mashed together collection of 8 different games, any one of which could have been great, but which together are just a purposeless jumble of "almost-fun" scenarios that have no cohesion and take 6 months to play through a single time, because they left out a win-condition.

Black & White? Is that you?

Darkstar
02-03-2006, 22:03:01
*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

;)

I think this is going to be one of those "Greatest games that no one ever plays because they think its too darned boring" deal.

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 23:16:35
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

Did one of your sims die? :(

Let out the anger. Its ok to feel the loss.

Darkstar
02-03-2006, 23:17:00
You know, this game is not going to be as popular as "The Sims". Nowhere close to it. I hope Maxis' master and owner EA realizes that.

It's going to be as popular as "SimLife", since that's what it is. The only difference is that it incorporates an in-game browser, letting players use other players creations, and to auto-populate other players content into the game. Of course, I liked "SimLife" and see that Spore will earn a perma-spot on my machine for when I want to just goof off and veg.

That's the exact game Will has been trying to make since he first got a computer. And it's the sort of limited interest/genre that made him have to sell Maxis to EA to be able to keep making games. I wonder if the world gaming market is large enough to cover EA and Maxis admitted "high" development cost? Its obviously a fob to keep Willyboy happy. But then, with The Sims and Sims2 raking in the money in volumes only comparable to a small ocean, I suppose they can afford it.

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 23:23:22
Yeah, I doubt it will sell half as many copies as the sims and ts2 have. But wasn't TS1 the all time best selling game for a while?

I think the game will do well, and they will make a profit, if only because most Maxis fans will auto buy it.

You have to say this about Will Wright, he is the only "Game God" that consistantly controls the amount of hype. He never shows or discusses anything that is not in a polishing state. (the opposite of Molyneaux)

The thing I find most interesting is how far along the game seems to look already, and they still have nearly 9 months before planned release (talk is around x-mas).

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 23:26:09
Oh, and speaking of TS2, the new EP just came out. Sitting at home on my desk, but no time to play right now. At least this will let me not install it until the hacks I use are updated.

You can run whore houses and gay baths now, and make a profit from your customers. You can also make robots to have sex with. And they added furries, shitloads of furries.

Maxis knows their audience.

Darkstar
02-03-2006, 23:46:09
Will is without a doubt, The Man.

Yeah, TS1 is the all time best selling single title. But if you put the sport franchises together, I don't know if it would still hold up.

My point is that most of those Sims fanzers are going to be disappointed, unless a lot of those "evolution stage" game levels are tremendous fun. The old Maxis fanbase will eat up Spore, but it isn't "Your fully evolved Sims^3" game (ie, you've built your own family of care bears and are now making your own auto-biography using a care bear avatar set). So I think that is going to earn them some odd reactions. After all, its a very different thing from TS1 or TS2.

I also heard a few things that tell me that its being delayed because they are searching on how to mainstream its fun more. That, I think is wrong, but I bet some management types want to at least break even on that title, and unless they sell it at 1K a copy, they aren't going to do it. Will has said that it has cost way more then Sims1 to make, and Sims1 had a huge development bill. Trying to "mainstream" the various game levels will only ruin the "Will Vision", and mar the structure. Either you get off on messing about with virtual life sims, or you don't, and you just aren't going to make that fun. The Sims let people play dolls, but spore is going to let you play god. Only, it's pretty darn boring for most people to play god except when messing around with something that resembles humans. It's tremendous fun to make a meteor spring up in a sim village and watch the people go running screaming, being on fire and what not. But how much fun is it to make some freakozoid spiderish parakeets do it? Not much. So I don't see the fan base being any bigger for Spore then it was for SimEarth/SimLife. More people out there gaming total, so more units sold. But it just isn't going to be a top 10 selling perma-game. Heck, if it stays on the top 10 list for more then 3 months after it is released, I'll be surprised. No wonder Will had to wait until after "The Sims" to get that baby properly funded.

As for looks, that game has been looking well for a couple of years, from what has leaked out about it and what has been publically released. Very little refinement evident in the graphics, but a lot in the modelling itself.

I wonder how big the saves get? Some of those models looked like they had a lot of detail to them. I know he has been working to keep the actual content objects down in size, but I wonder if "well, in just a couple more years, every home computer will have a couple of Terabytes, so don't worry about keeping truly squeezing down every bit" struck the design storage format? Size being small wasn't just to save on disk space--- it was to make it quick and easy to pull down new player created content to your machine via your internet connection. Will didn't want ISPs blocking access to Maxis's Spore library because it was eating up so much bandwidth.

Darkstar
02-03-2006, 23:59:59
Wow! Maxis has really started ligthening up on the family only (*wink win*) content then? I hadn't heard that.

I bought a new system a few months back, and haven't installed any Sims on it. Instead, I'd been messing about with the GC2 beta, X2 (I need to finish the plot in that so I can start X3), and a some older games. I could knock out X2's plot right now, but I'd rather do it with a serious fleet at my back, just for my own perverse sense of fun. When the scenario writers expected you to only do it in the equivalent of an X-wing, and you've got half the Imperial fleet with you instead, makes for some funny cut scenes and scripted statements.

"Player, I think you might need to build up your fighting capability a bit. Think about upgrading."

"Gee my mentor. Do you really think that? I only personally own more then ten times the military firepower of rest of the entire galaxy put together. I could only conquer the whole galaxy three times over with that force. Well, I suppose I should have enough military strength to conquer the Local Cluster 3 times over. I'll go make more starships."

"Your ships seems puny. You should consider upgrading to a ship that packs a bit more punch. And get its engines tuned to go fast. That's useful"

"I pulled up in the legendary Ship of the Gods. Its destroyed 15 universes this morning. It goes so fast, it goes backward in time! Have you considered getting your eyes checked? Or maybe your brain?"

You get them point. ;)

Immortal Wombat
03-03-2006, 10:14:38
Originally posted by LoD
Gee whiz, sounds exactly like the Sims...
that too

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2006, 20:12:17
One hour version: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-262774490184348066&q=spore

Koshko
03-03-2006, 20:22:56
Are they clear on what the specs to run this is going to be yet?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-03-2006, 21:27:57
I think I read somewhere an Orion DS-96 was minimum spec. Maybe.

Darkstar
06-03-2006, 18:20:26
Did you hear the news of how big a flop "The Movies" was? Bollocks is having to fire 1/3 of his staff. His backers are instisting that he stops wasting their money, and make games with less simming and more action!

Simming/Virtual Life is just not big business, if it isn't purely "virtual dolls". Even Virtual Pets isn't a big market (despite Neo-pets).

lightblue
06-03-2006, 21:02:46
Spore looks awesome, but then I am someone who played SimLife, SimEarth and SimAnt and loved all of em to little itty bits.

That said, I think I will more likely than not be spending most of my time in the pre-sentience part of the game as that appeals to me most.

Darkstar
14-03-2006, 18:12:32
Well, it seems that Stardock thinks that player creation is the end all and be all tool as well. It seems Society (their MMO RTS) will allow users to create all their own stuff.

King_Ghidra
15-03-2006, 09:41:58
Originally posted by lightblue
That said, I think I will more likely than not be spending most of my time in the pre-sentience part of the game as that appeals to me most.

Ah so that's the appeal of CG to you eh

lightblue
15-03-2006, 17:34:16
Hmm, never seen that way, but it does explain why i also read Fez and MRT144 threads on Poly...

Fistandantilus
15-03-2006, 21:06:49
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Oh, and speaking of TS2, the new EP just came out. Sitting at home on my desk, but no time to play right now. At least this will let me not install it until the hacks I use are updated.

You can run whore houses and gay baths now, and make a profit from your customers. You can also make robots to have sex with. And they added furries, shitloads of furries.

Maxis knows their audience.

It's actually the best EP so far, imho.

HelloKitty
15-03-2006, 22:30:06
Buggy as all hell though. You can't even safely drive to comm lots in the ep, which is all about going to comm lots!

Could have added quite a bit more content though. As it is it has the replayability of Uni.

Darkstar
15-03-2006, 22:35:58
So patch for OfB real soon then, eh?

HelloKitty
16-03-2006, 10:22:48
Strangely enough, probably. Usually EA/Maxis doesn't patcht heir games unless they absolutely have to. This one is so buggy they announced it on their forums.

Darkstar
16-03-2006, 16:29:38
That must be some serious bugly code if Maxis has announced a patch in their forum!

Doesn't Maxis sneak in their patches for the Sims in their "free objects" most of the time?

Asher
16-03-2006, 19:17:40
Originally posted by Darkstar
*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

;)

I think this is going to be one of those "Greatest games that no one ever plays because they think its too darned boring" deal.

I think the opposite, it's going to be the game everybody plays because of the hype. But only game reviewers and weak-minded people who bought into the hype will enjoy it, like B&W.

Darkstar
16-03-2006, 19:32:02
People aren't even going to understand the hype, Asher! The game media isn't going to know how to even hype the game to the common gamers. Just us Artificial Lifers are going to be crazy for the game. A few people will like its "make anything in the game.". It will be listed as the main influence by 75% of future game developers. It will be continually voted the "greatest game you never played because commoners like you thought it was too boring".

HelloKitty
16-03-2006, 22:37:16
Originally posted by Darkstar
That must be some serious bugly code if Maxis has announced a patch in their forum!

Doesn't Maxis sneak in their patches for the Sims in their "free objects" most of the time?

They used to. Now they just rely on the players to patch it.

I have 30 hacks in my game, 12 of them are "critical patches" that prevent the big fiery ball of doom from corrupting your entire game, 4 of them are getting rid of annoyances, like the desire to play the piano even if you are on the verge of starving, the piano must be played!! the rest fix minor bugs.

Darkstar
17-03-2006, 00:05:33
That's completely whacked. Maxis should clean up its own shit.

What hacks are you running? And what's the must have list? My sister's best friend has just started running TS2, and she's already bugging me about the problems she's got. I haven't kept up with TS2, as I've been playing other things, so I'm more clueless about it then normal.

HelloKitty
17-03-2006, 04:00:24
www.moreawesomethanyou.com has most of the important ones.

If nothing else, the phone hack is the best thing ever made. It allows you to have a phone and not have it ring non-stop from 7AM-12PM

The fee for joining is a joke. You can download all the stuff for free under "free samples".

If she goes to the forums and downloads the "director's cut" it has everything the guy who runs the site uses.

This is the link directly to the director's cut thread.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php?topic=8.0

Although he also uses hacks that macro certain tedious tasks and others that make the game harder (raise the cost of maids, prevent uni grads from starting with a free 20k bonus, etc.

All the hacks on the site are labeled as being critical, annoyance, feature, etc. Anything critical you need to prevent the game blowing up.

Asher
17-03-2006, 08:21:24
I've known the guy who runs moreawesomethanyou.com. Seriously, one of the funniest, weirdest, and brilliant guys I've ever met.

I played MUDs/MUSHes with him in the late 90s...

The entire time he has maintained an elaborate story about living in a bunker and driving an old Russian WW2 tank as a vehicle.

He also accepts payments for some of his Sim2 stuff. If you use the standard shipping it's 6-8 weeks for delivery, if you use "expedited" shipping it's next-day delivery...and he emails the stuff...

Asher
17-03-2006, 08:23:07
The name JM Pescado came years ago when we were trying to determine his real identity. Every time he connects or logs into a game, it's through a huge layer of proxies.

We jokingly falsly identified him as this guy named JM Pescado, and he's adopted the name since.

self biased
17-03-2006, 15:23:31
so i should take off some time now... possibly a month. better start saving now.

King_Ghidra
17-03-2006, 15:37:55
ha so people in the third world have to save for games haha

Fistandantilus
17-03-2006, 15:55:06
instead of downloading them for free? :p

King_Ghidra
17-03-2006, 15:55:48
:D

Darkstar
17-03-2006, 21:26:02
Thanks Kitty!

MountainMn
18-03-2006, 19:34:01
Ahh Asher if you know of the legend of the man called Pescado, then I offer my deepest sympathies.

Great is the damage left in the wake of Pescado. He is unlike any other. In fact I was forced to withdraw from society due to his evil ways.

I shall gain my revenge for all that Pescado has done. His evil ways will be stopped. He is my white whale. I shall vanquish him and all that he represents.

My time here is short. I shall return on day to tell my tale. It is a tale of heartbreak, revenge, and most importantly of fish.

I bid you all farewell. My you long live your life without the touch of Pescado.

Darkstar
24-03-2006, 22:04:09
So, does anyone have a link to a video of Will's presentation at GDC?

Darkstar
28-03-2006, 04:57:08
URL:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146586.html

This is an article on Gamespot giving some comments and highlights of Will Wright's GDC 06 address.

It's interesting that there were 2 prior mini games that got cut from SimEverything (Spore's original name). One was getting chemicals to start self replicating. The second was some form of the game of Life. Will says they just weren't interesting enough so they got cut. Boy, how boring would they have to be for that to happen? ;)

Darkstar
27-04-2006, 00:43:54
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148314.html?q=Spore

GameSpot reports that GameStop has updated its shipping by date on spore to Feb 1, 2007. How accurate that date will be, no one seems to know.

HelloKitty
27-04-2006, 02:45:37
Who can say with Maxis?

WTF is blizzard doing? moved the WoW expansion back to oct? One more month and it will be two years before the first expansion from release.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
27-04-2006, 05:46:17
Probably bug hunting, if 1.10 is any judge. I haven't had this man problems with a patch since, oooh, 1.6, which broke a lot of stuff IIRC.

Asher
27-04-2006, 09:00:13
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Who can say with Maxis?

WTF is blizzard doing? moved the WoW expansion back to oct? One more month and it will be two years before the first expansion from release.
Probably had their hands full with the patches, which added a lot.

Battlegrounds, for instance.

Not to mention dealing with overwhelming demand/load.

self biased
28-04-2006, 13:51:26
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
ha so people in the third world have to save for games haha

no, more so i can afford to take a month off of work.

Darkstar
12-05-2006, 17:48:06
Wow.

Latest demos are up at:
http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/735/735340/vids_1.html

This is just such a great game for messing about. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until my next birthday to get it though--- that's if they don't slide it back any further. Damn! I want it now!

fp
12-05-2006, 18:50:21
The creature builder looks like the whole game - the rest are just loosely connected minigames. Doesn't look like it will appeal to me.

Darkstar
23-05-2006, 19:49:01
More news.

Found at:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6151623.html

EBgames is reporting (via its games catalog) that:
* Spore for the PC is pushed back to June 2007
* Spore on the DS will be available in March 2007
* The Sims 2 Pets will be available on the PSP in late 2006 (so that makes it a genre Nintendogs?)

Of course, games are always subject to change ship dates, but I found it interesting what they've been dropping into their web catalog.

HelloKitty
23-05-2006, 22:36:26
Nintendogs would be a genre Sims Unleashed.

The spore dates are just estimated (made up) by ebgames. thats why they don't match up at all.

Darkstar
24-05-2006, 20:58:15
Simulated pets predates Sims. ;)

I was thinking it could be possible that Spore comes out on the DS before the PC. If the code base is stable, but EA/Maxis is working to get enough infrastructure (servers/bandwidth) in place and populated and was way behind (due to say, the final specs of creature/building/vehicle/tribe/planet being late), then that would add up for expected. How wired is the DS version of Spore going to be? They just need a basic prepopulated data set to start it. Right? But the PC model revolves around you being constantly online and in communication with the Maxis Spore servers. That's a lot of constant handshaking. If Spore just sells 10K units, not a big band hog, but if it sells 150K to 200K, that's a lot of chatter sucking up bandwidth. (Although I doubt that the game is really in constant communication--- more of a startup hit, publishing hits (sharing/pushing your creations up to the server), and not much else until you get to the interstellar phase --- when it needs to populate all those new worlds).

Of course, that's all because I *want* Spore to be completed and ready to ship soon. Reality favors that EB Games is just putting up the basic info it's gotten from the distribiturers/pushers, and filling in all the blanks with something "reasonable". Bleah. :(