PDA

View Full Version : Last two books I read...

Darkstar
18-04-2002, 07:48:18
Having been under the weather has some benefits... like getting in some reading.

I read:
*A Roll Of the Dice by Catherine Asaro. It sucked. How does something that isn't even up to a high school creative writing course standards get to be nominated for a Hugo/Nebula awards? Excuse me? That's one of the best SF novels published in 2001? I hadn't realized things were so bad. On the plus side, it was a free download for my eBook reader... so I'm only out the time from my life I spent reading it. I'd have dropped it (and hit the DELETE key on it) but it did get interesting in the middle for a bit... then completely fell apart at the highly forced end. Bleah. We've written better stories while drunk here... and with less mispelling. (You'd think they'd have run a spell checker on it...)

* Fools Errant by Matthew Hughes. Nice book. It's the basic character growth story from baffoon/dandy to responsible citizen via travelling his world. Nice basic storyline. It was more then worth the couple of bucks it cost me to get it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-04-2002, 19:41:51
Currently reading "English Passengers". Can't remember who wrote it, but seeing as it won the Whitbread and was a Booker shortlist, it's probably well-known. It's really good.

Next on the list- "Stupid white men" by Michael Moore.

Immortal Wombat
18-04-2002, 22:35:07
Fool on the Hill, by Matt Ruff

Snapcase
21-04-2002, 08:48:17
I just finished a book about European minorities in swedish... I'm also reading Stupid White Men next.

MDA
23-04-2002, 16:21:07
halfway through Gregory Benford's Timescape.

Slow book, not sure I like it.

Darkstar
24-04-2002, 06:30:42
Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin...

I had hoped this was a different book actually. I'd read this book a very long time ago. Very simple book... takes a long time to get to its closure. Has a couple of very large gaping logic holes in it, but not bad for someone trying to explain how even if everything is free with no energy concerns and the capability to build anything (including humans) at a thought/whim, we'd still be self absorded twits putting each other down, fighting, and torturing each other.

Whee! All that with no nano buzz going around at the time (1980). Just Star Trek and teleporter tricks. ;)

Darkstar
26-04-2002, 04:31:04
Just finished Hawksbill Station by Robert Silverberg...

I picked it up just on the author's name. I generally like Mr. Silverberg's writing... although I don't find them 'The Best Book I Ever Read!'.

I liked Hawksbill. I could have done without the alternating chapters between the Now for the protagonist and the Then (or how he eventually got to where we find him at the start of the novel). However, it was an interesting book, and while the resolution was very quick out of the blue, I didn't mind it. I liked the protogonist and his companions more then enough to find it a satisfactory ending.

The book itself is a rather an old one of his (Copyright 68), but it just shows Silverberg has apparently been consistent. And means you should be able to easily find it cheap or in your library. ;)

Darkstar
28-04-2002, 06:17:26
Finished up:
The Secret of Life by Rudy Rucker

Overall, I give it a C-. It does have a nice love story ending, but there's a whole lot of muddling that goes on.

devilmunchkin
30-04-2002, 19:52:11
working on:
47 Ronin by John Allyn
Faeries edited by Isaac Asimov
and a little anthology of sonnets by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

before those i read Monkey by Ch'Eng-En Wu.

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2002, 20:35:52
Pbbbft.

Ranking as the Queen of Lit, I clock in with my list this month:

1) My Stepfather Shrank!
2) Show Me (Janet Dailey)
3) The Shining (1/4)
4) The Taming Of The Shrew (Bill Shakespeare, I skimmed again)
5) How To Make An American Quilt
6) I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (first page three times)
7) Marrying a Delacourte (Romance--select chapters)
8) A Farewell to Arms (select chapters)
9) Barbecue Cookbook
10) Story of a Soul (bits and pieces)
11) The Garlic Cookbook
12) How to Repair Walls (chapter on sheetrock)
13) Taste of the Carribbean
14) Old Fashioned Cookbook
15) The Grill Book
16) The Confessions of Augustine (select bits and pieces)
17) The Writer's Mind
18) Three Genres
19) Making Shapely Fiction
20) The Hero Within
21) The Strong-Willed Child
22) Raising Boys
23) The Way (pieces)
24) The Interior Castle (bits and pieces)
25) Us World & News Report
26) Reader's Digest
27) Dave Barry
28) The Californian

Darkstar
30-04-2002, 21:08:07
This isn't a who read the most...

It is: What did you think of the books? Since we know each other somewhat well to very well, it makes it a friend's thoughts about a book. :D

All the stuff I've read, were in eBook format. I really like being able to have a few books on hand and not have to worry about PACKING them into something to carry. I think I'll put 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea over on my PDA. Been a long while since I read it, and having seen Atlantis : Lost Empire last night, I'm in the mood again...

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2002, 21:29:11
Oh, I know. I am just having one of those particularly acute square peg days.

I envy everyone here who can sit down and enjoy a good book.

I wish I could.

Darkstar
30-04-2002, 23:08:28
Why don't you?
Try just reading ONE book at a time... ;)

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2002, 23:30:05
*scowl*

Is it me, my computer, my glasses, or something new here...but who turned out the lights? All I get is black, white and gray and it's hard on the eyes.

Must be a censor-type thing to keep the old fogies out.... *grumble*

Darkstar
30-04-2002, 23:31:48
You need to swap your forum style to 'Classic' if you want the old, easier to read format back.

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2002, 23:37:30
Well, the directions were lost on me. I didn't see that option. *scowl scowl*

I feel like I need thicker lenses.

Darkstar
30-04-2002, 23:42:10
Click: Settings...
Click: Edit Options...
Change the Style Set Drop Down Box to 'Classic'.
Click: Submit Modifications

To get back to the forums, click : CounterGlow Forums.

Lady_of_Chicken
30-04-2002, 23:51:57
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I can see!

Darkstar
30-04-2002, 23:52:44
You are welcome.

It's a pain in the rump to find that setting.

MDA
02-05-2002, 17:17:40
Mercedes Lackey - Gates of Sleep

not a Valdemar story, although the magic system is similar. Very enjoyable and easy read, not too deep, suspenseful (but you always know more about what's going on than the protagonist), good characters (I always enjoy her characters). This one takes place in industrial England, about the time electricity became available to those who could afford it (whenever that was:)). I think its the second book she's written in this setting, but they're not a continuous story. The first one was interesting because it incorporated a bit of Hindu mythology into the magic.