PDA

View Full Version : What's the scariest film you've ever seen?

Tizzy
17-02-2006, 14:26:51
(conversation stolen from colleagues)

I really can't think what mine would be. I haven't seen loads of horror films but of the ones I have I can't actually think of one which truly terrified me.

Kitsuki
17-02-2006, 14:43:28
Do you mean still find terrifying, or just terrifying at the time....

I found Seven terrifying when I first watched it - age 13 or so...

Lately, nothing really. I dont scare easily from films.

MattHiggs
17-02-2006, 14:43:55
I'm too scared to watch The Ring and The Grudge. I can imagine them being pretty scary.

I'm such a pussy when it comes to films. I've got a very overactive imagination and I can always apply anything scary in the film multiply it a couple of thousand times and apply it to myself when I'm at home on my own late at night!

I went to see House on Haunted Hill at the cinema years ago and that night I was nearly in tears in under my blanket I was SO scared! :(

Tizzy
17-02-2006, 14:56:02
Originally posted by Kitsuki
Do you mean still find terrifying, or just terrifying at the time....

Either really.
Although obviously it does change with time, for example my sister is no longer scared of Gremlins :)

Kitsuki
17-02-2006, 15:04:59
I was terrified by The Running Man - I saw that when I was 7/8.

Havent really been scared in ages. Matt - both The Ring and The Grudge are totally crap mate, not scary at all. (The Japanese versions of The Ring (loads of them) are fucking funny though.)

MattHiggs
17-02-2006, 15:16:29
I dunno, sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night the thought of a paranormal girl in a white nighty standing at the end of ym bed scares the living crap out of me.

I suppose if I watched the film it would probably be a lot less scary than my head thinks it will be.

Venom
17-02-2006, 15:23:03
"I dunno, sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night the thought of a paranormal girl in a white nighty standing at the end of ym bed scares the living crap out of me."

I would find that sexy and probably start wanking.

Nills Lagerbaak
17-02-2006, 15:33:33
I watched the shining alone in my house when I was a nipper, and I had to turn it off. It scared the sweet bejesus out of me I must admit.

Don't look now is rather scary too.

Funko
17-02-2006, 15:38:37
Yeah, The Shining was scary.

Nills Lagerbaak
17-02-2006, 15:42:30
Tetsuo Iron man was scary in a kind of uneasy nerve rattling piece of freakshow.

King_Ghidra
17-02-2006, 16:13:52
agreed

Nills Lagerbaak
17-02-2006, 16:16:53
Dead mens shoes was kind of scary. You seen that?

Debaser
17-02-2006, 16:22:02
I thought the Birds was really scary when I was quite young.

Nills Lagerbaak
17-02-2006, 16:30:11
That's cos your scared of tits.

No it is a scary film.

King_Ghidra
17-02-2006, 16:33:55
in 1985, when i was but 10 years old, i was privileged to see the first ever showing of The War Game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game) and it comprehensively shit me up probably more than anything ever has done since.

The film itself had been withheld from broadcast for 20 years because:
"the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting"

A lesson to my parents not to let my uncle babysit.

maroule
17-02-2006, 16:41:07
"Henry, portrait of a serial killer"
is the only movie who genuinely scared me

King_Ghidra
17-02-2006, 16:47:58
that was upsetting, but maybe not so scary

maroule
17-02-2006, 16:52:38
not looking at it, but thinking about it afterwards

there are plenty of movies that made me crawl up on my seat, but they disappear as soon as I exit the theater. That's too easy! any director can make you jump, really, just a string of violins and the building of anticipation...

'Henry' scared me because it looked like a documentary

lightblue
17-02-2006, 18:41:49
Arachnophobia gave me arachnophobia when i watched it when I was like 10 or so.

Venom
17-02-2006, 18:48:47
Our family Christmas movie....from 1987. Terrifying. Shitty direction and production values too.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-02-2006, 19:09:36
"Threads". It's like "The War Game", only even grimmer.

For horror-type scares, nothing comes close to the last five minutes of "Don't look now".

Walrus Feeder
17-02-2006, 19:38:59
The film, The Woman in Black from 1989, from the Susan Hill novel was really scary when I saw it when I was 12. What they call a spine-tingeling chiller.
http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/d1/1d/1047767-movie-resized200.jpg:nervous:

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-02-2006, 21:28:44
That's a good one. The play was even scarier.

Diss
25-02-2006, 21:44:49
films don't terrify me today. But as a kid I found Poltergeist very scary. I was way young when I first saw it. It's still kind of scary today, only because of the memories of how scary it was when I was younger.

But most films I just find entertaining, not scary. Films like Hellraiser and such. I liked Candyman as well.

Chris
26-02-2006, 03:53:26
Day of the dead was disturbing, with the zombies finally winning.

devilmunchkin
26-02-2006, 09:29:40
The Grudge...something about that terrifies me horribly...i don't remember being so scared before

BigGameHunter
26-02-2006, 23:41:49
Really? I saw it soon after the Ring and thought it was laughable by comparison.
Exorcist, Poltergeist and Jaws scared the crap out of me as a kid.
I don't like horror except for zombie movies...seems ok to kill them since they are already dead.
Best zombie movies? I've only really sean the Romero ones and 28 Days Later.

DaShi
27-02-2006, 01:38:15
Election

devilmunchkin
27-02-2006, 04:23:56
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Really? I saw it soon after the Ring and thought it was laughable by comparison.
Exorcist, Poltergeist and Jaws scared the crap out of me as a kid.
I don't like horror except for zombie movies...seems ok to kill them since they are already dead.
Best zombie movies? I've only really sean the Romero ones and 28 Days Later.

yeah i was really that scared. I'm not saying that my intense fear was justified, but i felt it nontheless.

However, the Poltergeist movies did not scare me in the least. I like them quite a bit..especially the second one.

Jaws only scared me in the opening scene where the girl is getting dragged around in the water.

As far as zombie movies, see "Shaun of The Dead." Funny as hell.

OldWarrior_42
02-03-2006, 08:43:01
The Wizard of Oz. I'm afraid of midgets.

mr_G
02-03-2006, 10:49:03
bwaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

MDA
02-03-2006, 13:24:56
Alien

those monkeys in the Wizard of Oz scared the bejeezus out of me, too

I used to have horrible nightmares about the "breathing" Neo-Synephrine bottle from the TV commercial as a kid. Your mileage may vary.

OldWarrior_42
02-03-2006, 22:58:25
The Wizard of Oz didn't really scare me. I was joking.

Movies have never really scared me. I don't remember them scaring me when I was younger and as I got older, I was always able to understand the fact that they are just movies and not reality. I'm a spoil sport I guess. :-P~~

jsorense
03-03-2006, 00:12:00
Alien

Hi Tom! [waves]

Fistandantilus
03-03-2006, 01:39:42
I expected an answer like "Bambi" from you, jsorense :p

Scabrous Birdseed
03-03-2006, 08:40:46
I was well cottoned-off from scary films as a kid, and as an adult stuff just doesn't have the same impact as, say, needles did when I was a kid. Or butterflies.

But then I conciously avoid horror films. I tried to see one of those "atmospheric asian films" and spent the entire time with a pompous sneer on my face snickering at the clichιs.

Darkstar
03-03-2006, 21:41:16
"atmospheric asian films" :hmm: You mean, Power Rangers the Movie? ;)

The Mad Monk
04-03-2006, 00:10:08
Horror films don't scare me.

Gangster movies like "Scarface", on the other hand...

I just can't watch those.

Lazarus and the Gimp
04-03-2006, 07:41:25
Originally posted by devilmunchkin

Jaws only scared me in the opening scene where the girl is getting dragged around in the water.

Her screaming wasn't faked. She was attached to two ropes in order to drag her around, and they accidentally pulled both at the same time. Her screaming was due to the fact that it broke a few of her ribs.

devilmunchkin
04-03-2006, 08:05:33
oh wow. didn't know that. i'm surprised she had the lung capacity to scream after that.

Nills Lagerbaak
05-03-2006, 20:59:24
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
"Threads". It's like "The War Game", only even grimmer.

For horror-type scares, nothing comes close to the last five minutes of "Don't look now".

Oh christ, I wish you'd never told me about "Threads", it is fucking horrific.:(

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-03-2006, 10:11:31
It gave me a few nightmares as a kid, let me assure you.

Kitsuki
06-03-2006, 10:36:44
28 Days Later is the best zombie film I have ever seen but its more of a thriller than a horror movie...

Tizzy
06-03-2006, 10:45:57
I thought that was rubbish, far too predictable.
Although the scenes of a deserted London were cool.

Nills Lagerbaak
06-03-2006, 11:14:35
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
It gave me a few nightmares as a kid, let me assure you.

When the wind blows freaked me out, but Threads is really, really grim. Still I think everyone should be made to watch it.

King_Ghidra
06-03-2006, 11:31:53
the dictator ever lurks close to the surface in you

Nills Lagerbaak
06-03-2006, 11:52:37
SILENCE!

Walrus Feeder
23-03-2006, 20:45:56
Saw the new version of The Hills Have Eyes the other day which was a lot more enjoyable than I thought. Lots of moments of suspense and plenty of brutal killing action, especially when the family seeks vengence!

Expect i'll see Hostel soon - that that does look brutal, sick and disturbing! :eek:

The Norks
02-04-2006, 00:32:02
The Grudge scared the crap out of me, and the Shining was pretty tense (I don't rate the book at all)

But- The Wizard of Oz is possibly the world's only legal snuff movie- in the sequence where Dorothy meets the Munchkins and they sing 'Follow the Yellow Brick Road' One of the background munchkins (requires much pausing and rewinding) is seen to fall from a window on a rope and strangle. FACT.

MattHiggs
03-04-2006, 09:34:41
12.22. Is it true that you can see a man hanging himself in The Movie?

No, of course not. It's true that you can see a shadowy figure fluttering in the background at the end of the scene in the Tin Woodman's forest, just as Dorothy, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Woodman are marching offscreen as they sing "We're Off to See the Wizard." And if you ever get a chance to see the film projected onto the big screen of a movie theater, you can quite clearly see that it is a bird flapping its wings. (A number of birds were rented from the Los Angeles Zoo for this scene. Other birds sharp-eyed viewers can also see in that forest are a toucan and a peacock.) Let me say that again to make it perfectly clear to those who still believe it's a hanging man:

IT IS A BIRD FLAPPING ITS WINGS.
So what kind of bird is it? For a long time, many thought it was a stork, but this is probably just a conjecture, since there was a stork in the original novel. I have now had two birders tell me that it was a crowned crane, or Balearica pavonina. Since I'm not any sort of bird expert, I will have to take their word for it.

So why do so many think that this poor, innocent bird is a hanging man? The problem is, most people today don't see The Movie on the big screen; they watch it on television, videotape, or DVD. And the scan lines that make a TV picture possible do the disservice of making the picture less clear than on a movie screen. The small size of most TV screens and the lack of clear prints before 1989 don't help, either. So on a television screen, the stork is not very clear. Some have thought it was a stagehand accidentally caught in the shot, or the Wicked Witch still lurking in the background, but for some reason this shadowy figure passed into urban legend as a hanging man. But it can't be. Studio security was tighter than usual on The Movie, and it's extremely unlikely that a major studio like MGM wouldn't notice such a macabre sight, or would allow it to be included in one of its highest profile pictures. Besides, most of those trees were on a painted backdrop, and the rest were artificial, and thus too fragile to hold that much weight. And towards the end of the scene, all three principal actors look directly at the object in question. If it was something that wasn't supposed to be there, especially something so gruesome, doesn't it make sense that at least one of them would alert the crew and stop filming right then and there? Don't forget, there were a lot of people on the set watching what was going on, with the director and his assistants, the cameramen, the lighting crew, and so forth. Would all of them not notice something suspicious? Could all of them not say anything about it for so long?

Some amusing variants of this story have surfaced:

* The hanging man was one of the Munchkin actors — which is unlikely, as the forest scenes were actually shot before the Munchkinland scenes, and the little people playing the Munchkins hadn't arrived in town at that point. Many of the surviving Munchkin actors have also stated that this is false.
* A Munchkin actor hanged himself after being rejected by one of the Munchkin actresses — see above.
* The man hanging himself is the director's son, upset that he didn't get a part in The Movie or on the crew — which is impossible, as Victor Fleming only had two young daughters at the time.
* MGM was forced to leave the shot in, as they couldn't afford to reshoot the scene — which is extremely unlikely, as MGM was the biggest studio of the day, and could well afford another take.
* The man who hanged himself was the grandfather of the boy who became the ghost in Three Men and a Baby, another popular Hollywood urban legend. Since the "ghost" is actually a cardboard cutout of actor Ted Danson, this is not terribly likely.
* The "hanging" was actually a technician who got entangled in some cables or ropes and accidentally fell into the scene, strangling himself — I think somebody is confusing the stagehand and hanging legends.
* The bird was added in later to mask the hanging — well, then, couldn't they have made the bird clearer? Or erased the hanging man entirely?
* The hanging person was a young, unknown actress who was upset that she didn't get the part of Dorothy — the only actresses ever seriously considered for the part were Judy Garland and, for a brief time, Shirley Temple (see question 11.7 for the details).
* The hanging was still in the original videotape release of The Movie, but replaced by the bird in the 1989 fiftieth anniversary rerelease — the only change made from the early '80s release and the 1989 one was to finally change the Kansas scenes back to their original sepia tones. Furthermore, I can personally attest to seeing the bird in a film print in 1979, before The Movie was ever released on home video.
* The hanging is really somewhere else in the scene, or the next one — look, if people can't even figure out where the hanging is, could it possibly be that it isn't really there?
* I'm just part of some conspiracy to cover up the truth — if I am, I wish someone would let me in on the secret! I have no reason to hide the truth, I am in no one's employ or thralls, and I don't see what good it would do me or anyone else to hide it now. The truth is, there is no hanging.
* "I know who the hanged man was" — yet every time someone has told me this, they clam up when I ask for a name or details. If there is truly a hanging in The Movie, I and Oz and film researchers around the world are going to need a lot more evidence than "It looks like a hanging man" or a man with no name.

Summary:

It was a bird flapping its wings; not a munchkin hanging himself.

The Norks
05-04-2006, 19:37:32
There's also a Munchkin that we used to think looked like my Nan, although she isn't a dwarf.

BigGameHunter
06-04-2006, 01:20:03
My God...the conspiracy deepens!!!

The Norks
06-04-2006, 22:03:04
ITS TRUE I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-04-2006, 07:23:45
"Don't look now" is being given away free on DVD in tomorrow's "Observer".

shagnasty
12-06-2006, 09:23:31
jesjes Alien is possibly the scariest film I have seen. Even if I hadn't watched it when i was a young'un i'd shit myself.
I watched the Ring films the wrong way round ie remake first then the original. I almost pooed myself watching both.

My ex refused to watch An American Werewolf in London. She had previously only got as far as "the bed in the forest" scene. I did eventually manage to force her to sit and watch it all the way through.
It is possibly my most favouritest film of all time.

paiktis22
14-06-2006, 23:54:44
Alien didn't really scare me so much as given me an adrenaline rush "yeeeah kill the bastard!!!" sort of thing.

Demons OTOH and anything having to do with the devil/antichrist, that sort of supernatural always freaks me out sweatly! Which is funny because I don't believe in this stuff at all. (devil/supernatural whatever). Possessions are my favorite all around shocker/thriller which predictably makes the exorcist the scariest movie I've ever seen.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-06-2006, 01:38:31
When I was 10, X-TRO. This was shortly after my parents had purchased their first ever VCR and were still getting used to that pesky "ratings" thing.

Fergus & The Brazen Car
01-07-2006, 09:09:49
The original version of 'The Haunting'- it works on atmosphere and suspense,unlike the two remakes replete with (un)special effects and sudden shocks.

'The Innocents' with Deborah Kerr- a great way to tell a creepy Henry James story, with high pitched children's voices singing disquietingly on the soundtrack and a brooding sense of fear and dread.

The BFI also has some adaptations of M. R. James's ghost stories originally made for television on dvd, and a version of Charles Dickens's 'The Signalman'. I remember they scared the bejaysus out of me when I was a stripling...

M. R. James's 'Casting The Runes' was also made into an effective ghost/horror film, as 'Night Of' or 'Curse Of' 'The Demon, depending upon whether or not you're American or British.

I'd also recommend the Japanese compilation 'Kwaidan' adapted from Lafcadio Hearn short stories and 'Kuroneko' and 'Onibaba, Killer Of Women'.