PDA

View Full Version : so where is funko today?

King_Ghidra
06-02-2006, 15:23:00
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/06/national_sickie_day/

Gary
06-02-2006, 15:51:39
Yeah, was on ITV teletext this morning too. So why am I here ?

mr_G
07-02-2006, 14:56:49
and what is he doing today, dammit.

Provost Harrison
07-02-2006, 22:47:18
I have taken 6 days off of sick in the past year and I have received so much grief for it (this is going to be higher as I work shifts which make me more prone to feeling absolutely shit, especially with the constant changing shift patterns). My supervisor is a cunt and I'd love to thump him in the face...

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-02-2006, 22:55:54
I've had four days sick in the past three years, and three of them only happened due to the bastard doctor slicing my ringpiece.

Drekkus
07-02-2006, 23:06:23
Ringpiece? You mean the graphic assgrape story?

I haven't had a sick day in 3 years. My work actually has a bonus system where you get less if you call in sick.

Tizzy
08-02-2006, 09:44:37
Yep, that was pretty funny on Monday when I saw that on the news from my bed.
Made me laugh, then it made me cough more.
Then it wasn't so funny :(

Nills Lagerbaak
08-02-2006, 10:23:27
I would really like to attempt a "descrimination against the sickly" in a court against some of these bastard companies. I mean you can be done for discrminating against fat peopl so why not the sickly. It would be discrimination, either that or they're calling you a liar.

novacane
08-02-2006, 11:12:34
I had Monday off work because I didn't wake up until 10:30, 3 hours later than necessary. I had no option. There was no way I was gonna stroll in at midday.

During the day, this story was mentioned on This Morning, Des and Mel and Tonight with Trevor McDonald. It was almost inescapable. My guilt was momentary.

Apparantly, companies now exist to weed out the fakers. Employers give these companies the names and addresses of sick employees who then make bogus calls to assess the condition of the "skiver".

What is wrong with people. These companies are clearly the brainchild of greedy people who will do anything to make money, including putting people's jobs at risk over a harmless white lie. The UK allegedly has the longest average working hours in Europe. Sickies are just par for the course.

Nills Lagerbaak
08-02-2006, 11:18:30
It's a fucking gip. People do work shite loads of overtime (not me mind) for NO MONEY! Also weekends sometimes for NO MONEY.

If they want to equate it all to money, then it doesn't add up...

The real problem is when they have a go at people who are genuinely sick. There are people in this world who will be sick for 10+ days a year...punishing them is surely discrimination.

And don't get me started on how they expect you to get by with so little holiday.....

AS you can probably tell I[m pissed off. Mainly because I've realised I've used up my hopliday allowance for the year....yes time for a new job!

King_Ghidra
08-02-2006, 11:54:13
you two are full of shit, you need to seperate two things:

a) your opinions on matters of principle
b) the self-justifying cocktwaddle you use to get through life

pulling a sickie is clearly wrong. it doesn't matter how much you do or don't earn. If you worked for a small firm, you might actually know the person you were taking the piss out of and costing money. in an impersonal large firm the distance from your employer means that sense of embarassment at doing something clearly wrong is lessened, but it certainly doesn't justify it

as for putting pressure on people who are actually sick, that is wrong, i totally agree. we had some HR training for managers at my place and the way they phrased it is that we should be communicating to people who have had sick leave that their sickness is their problem and it is up to them to try and ensure they are fit for work. i can't say i much like that attitude. if people are sick they are sick.

Nills Lagerbaak
08-02-2006, 12:08:07
Oh hark at you Mr. restrained and righteous.

I clearly stated I was sounding off, being in a bad mood.

When I want to take extra holiday I take unpaid leave simple as that.

Funko
09-02-2006, 09:34:57
You've used up your holiday allowance by Feb?!!

I was pretty ill. I came in on Monday morning though and managed about an hour before I went home. :(

mr.G
09-02-2006, 09:36:01
`bet it had something to do with an orange dick

Funko
09-02-2006, 09:45:11
Another name for a Dutch Detective?

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 09:47:59
Originally posted by Funko
You've used up your holiday allowance by Feb?!!

I was pretty ill. I came in on Monday morning though and managed about an hour before I went home. :(

Apart from something like 5 days yes! Same thng happened last year, which was a large driver in me finding a new job....I expect I'll do the same this year the thought of the rest of the year without more than 5 days off....shudder!!!

Funko
09-02-2006, 09:57:21
Your stupid long holidays are to blame I wager.

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 10:00:25
I know it's their fault, but how can you balme them...

I've decided I need at least one month-long holiday a year, and then all the extra little breaks.

mr_G
09-02-2006, 10:15:05
Another name for a Dutch Detective? makes "agents orange" look pathetic

Funko
09-02-2006, 10:16:58
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

I've decided I need at least one month-long holiday a year, and then all the extra little breaks.

So you need at least 40 days leave? Good luck with that.

Kitsuki
09-02-2006, 10:19:38
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak

I reckon we all think we should have this, but aint gonna happen...

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 10:30:50
Not with that attitude!

My Mum used to get 43 holidays a year. Her company had an awesome scheme where bonuses were given as points and could be used however so the yuppies spent them on company cars, the youngsters on pay rises, and her on extra holidays!

Funko
09-02-2006, 10:34:01
:eek:

Lucky her.

25 is fine though, I struggle to use them all normally.

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 10:35:16
Amazing! Mine go like that. I guess it's what you get used to.

MattHiggs
09-02-2006, 10:36:57
We get time in lieu which is great. I work Wednesday evenings covering adult classes then I get to have Friday afternoon off.

Funko
09-02-2006, 10:39:58
Well I've hardly been on a holiday longer than a week since I've been here. I tend to prefer short breaks.

The only time I did was to NZ.

I think it's because you go to places that are so far away/expensive it's not worth going for a short break. :)

Tizzy
09-02-2006, 10:40:45
The last couple of years 25 days has definitely not been enough. If I wasn't leaving here I'd certainly run out of holiday!

Funko
09-02-2006, 10:45:10
The Americans are going to think we set this thread up just to spite them. :D

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 10:47:02
:D now I really don't know how they survive!

Funko
09-02-2006, 10:48:50
I don't either.

Provost Harrison
09-02-2006, 11:29:30
That's amazing, I have managed to use 2 days so far this year, it's such a crap time of year there's no point in taking any time off now. Fortunately I have 29 to get through this year :D

Funko
09-02-2006, 11:32:50
I have booked 10 off but have only actually taken 2.5 so far.

I need to book some in June as well.

Greg W
09-02-2006, 11:33:33
- 25 days holidays per year.
- 8 days paid sick leave per year (increases to 10-12-15 days the longer you're there).
- time and a half on saturdays, plus a day off during the week to compensate
- an extra day off per 4 week period (not paid)
- double time for working Sundays
- double time for working any day where you're called in to work that you had originally off
- a days pay for every public holiday, regardless of if you work it or not (you get 2.5 - 3x pay if you work)
- long service leave after 10 years
- all overtime paid at 1.5 - 2x

Let the Seppos whine. :D

novacane
09-02-2006, 11:41:13
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
you two are full of shit, you need to seperate two things:

a) your opinions on matters of principle
b) the self-justifying cocktwaddle you use to get through life

pulling a sickie is clearly wrong. it doesn't matter how much you do or don't earn. If you worked for a small firm, you might actually know the person you were taking the piss out of and costing money. in an impersonal large firm the distance from your employer means that sense of embarassment at doing something clearly wrong is lessened, but it certainly doesn't justify it

I don't have a conscience about these things. Its swings and roundabouts. Just a game. I'm glad I do not share this attitude to such an extent. Days off are great fun. A bonus in life. It feels like you're taking something back. No-one dies. No-one goes bankrupt. I ensure my actions never drop anybody in the shit. I feel no remorse. I think you've been in the game too long Philip. They've got you. Listen to yourself. Life is freedom of choice. If I don't want to go to work, for whatever reason, I won't go. Simple.

My self-justificating cocktwaddle gets me by just fine.

Provost Harrison
09-02-2006, 11:45:44
Originally posted by Greg W
- 8 days paid sick leave per year (increases to 10-12-15 days the longer you're there).
- time and a half on saturdays, plus a day off during the week to compensate
- an extra day off per 4 week period (not paid)
- double time for working Sundays
- double time for working any day where you're called in to work that you had originally off
- a days pay for every public holiday, regardless of if you work it or not (you get 2.5 - 3x pay if you work)
- long service leave after 10 years
- all overtime paid at 1.5 - 2x

Let the Seppos whine. :D

Am I supposed to be jealous? I get all that plus there share options, free healthcare and more holidays. Oh, and no limit on sick pay :p

Funko
09-02-2006, 11:47:48
Originally posted by Greg W

I don't have a contracted amount of sick days... a few years back when I was off for a month with Glandular Fever I got full pay.

But I can't just take a sick day as leave.

King_Ghidra
09-02-2006, 11:49:59
it's not the sinning i have a problem with, it's the attempts to justify it.

The man doesn't owe you anything. But if you want to piss on him then good luck to you, i'm with you all the way. Just don't portray it as some harmless exercise, enjoy it for the fuck-you-all thing it is.

novacane
09-02-2006, 14:40:07
I don't see it as a fuck-you thing. My job is so far down my priorities in life. I just treat it as such. In the grand scheme, a sickie IS harmless.

Lazarus and the Gimp
09-02-2006, 17:08:46
Not if I end up having to cover your work. It's positively hazardous then.

Funko
09-02-2006, 17:11:05
We need novacane working 20 hours a day on this new Reading 1 way IDR system.

(edit: obviously I have no idea exactly what he does do...)

Nills Lagerbaak
09-02-2006, 17:13:45
Dental anesthetics make people work longer??

novacane
10-02-2006, 12:38:41
We need novacane working 20 hours a day on this new Reading 1 way IDR system.

(edit: obviously I have no idea exactly what he does do...)

I may be contributing to that project when the time comes. So now you know.

The IDR project is nothing more than a brainwave by a senior councillor who persuaded a handful of other senior people that it could work. Quite normal but, in truth, no-one has any idea. It seems to be going ahead with very little investigation. Thats where I should come in. But, I'm happy to sit back and see how the gamble pays off. Should be fun.

Funko
10-02-2006, 12:43:49
They tried something similar in Henley and it was an absolute disaster. OK, the problems are different but it was fun listening to all the drivers every morning after I'd arrived from the train. :D