PDA

View Full Version : more work drama

devilmunchkin
01-02-2006, 20:59:40
:shoot:

the stress and drama at my work had become a bit more than i can deal with. i thought maybe you guys could give advice..or at least ways to cope. I've come to a point where there really isn't anyone i can talk to anymore...

Think a few of you know i've had past problems with my work...getting bullied by my bf's mother and what not. well, i did eventually get that transfer but the job itself is ten times more stressful. It's become apparent to me that the managers/owners of the company completely lack in leadership skills. The VP likes to hide out in his office working on Alpha Basic programming and leave the general management to his 2 directors..but they do a horrible job. The deparment I came from has been allowed to swell with employees without the revenue to support them. As such, the company is in financial straights (especially because many clients dont pay their bills on time). He lets the billing director walk all over him...she yells at him, condescends to him..he does nothing..and evetually gives into all of her petty demands.

My boss just whines and as of yesterday, fired the only other employee back here with me. I am now a department of 1.

It's the situation with the firing that really bothers me and makes me nervous. When Monique first started, she and my boss were like best friends rather than boss and employee. I don't know what happened but almost overnight, he put his foot down and started treating her very strict. Overtime, things got worse between them and he'd often come to me saying she didn't know how to do her job and he wished he'd never hired her. She was saying the things he expected of her she was never trained for (hardware knowledge that is integrated into our software system.). It got to the point where he was hypersensitive about the whole situation. She couldn't go near him without him tensing up and getting snippy with her. So it fell to me to try and answer questions or she'd have to go to the VP, which made her look bad for having to ask things that she "was supposed to know."

Yesterday, Monique finally snapped and started crying. She went into the VP's office and complained about our supervisor and how he was treating her. About an hour later, the VP and our supervisor called her in and fired her for "low job performance." It just smells fishy..and i've noticed that is how the company works: you complain, you either get in trouble (like i did..getting cornered in a bathroom for 2 hours by Dolly Parton) or fired..like Monique. But at the same time, she may not have been quite up to par on her job performance.

The tricky part is where i'm involved. I tried to play the supportive person..i stuck up for her..and now it seems like i'm prime target number one because I stuck up for her to our supervisor. (Examples include me getting scolded because I took a sick day b/c my BF got stuck at work and could not take me. This has happened one time since i've worked here in 2.5 years).I was very angry yesterday so got very quiet with them...and today our supervisor unloaded on me because i told him "i disagree with your decision to fire her but i respect it." And ...i also pointed out that the company treats people like shit. Eventually he came in and apologized..but still...and now her work is on me. We generally need 3 people to cover this dept..and we have 1..me ..and i'm half trained (we do not have sufficient training at this place at all). I don't know how to react..i feel angry and pretty sure they fired her for false reasons..but no way to prove it. I myself am tired of being their kick dog. Do I just keep my mouth closed?

It doesn't help that my boyfriend has given me an "order" saying he will "not allow me to work there past june." (he and i are a whole nother issue i won't even begin to get into). I feel very trapped right now...

Lurker the Second
01-02-2006, 21:13:39
Unless they are way overpaying you or are providing training that is critical for your career advancement, I'd say start looking for another job asap.

Gary
01-02-2006, 21:16:17
Dust off and update the CV ?

http://www.monster.co.uk

Gary
01-02-2006, 21:22:29
Damn x posts. my previous one would have been in 10 minutes earlier had this damn pc actually decided to do thngs when I ask it to. It's hardly loaded but making out it's being asked to run the world. Hate PCs :(

Venom
01-02-2006, 21:28:58
Monique and the boss were clearly fucking each other and she broke it off.

Chris
01-02-2006, 21:58:01
Fill a brown bag with dog shit, place it in front of the boss's office and light it.

It will of course solve nothing, but will make a funny story.

Tizzy
01-02-2006, 22:04:45
Exactly what Lurker said, get out of there.
Regardless of what your bf says, this is for you, not him.

Japher
01-02-2006, 22:15:32
that was one long post

Darkstar?

Provost Harrison
01-02-2006, 22:16:16
I've got to agree with Lurker (arghh, I don't believe I just said that), but you've been there just a bit over two years...take the experience and run!

devilmunchkin
01-02-2006, 22:45:07
not darkstar.... :( i just wanted to explain things clearly :nervous:

mr_G
02-02-2006, 08:22:02
get the fok out of there devil, and give venom the coordinates so he can NUKE the place.
try to think things over and choose for yourself, wow isn't that what Tizzy just said. :bounce: and let's celebrate the FACT that tizzy and I agree.

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 09:17:07
Time to find a better job imo too - just take your time about it; by the sounds of it you can find something much better. :)

Funko
02-02-2006, 09:39:54
Yeah... look for a new job.

Was your boss shagging Monique? Sounds like it from that bare outline.

Debaser
02-02-2006, 09:46:15
Don't hang around in the hope that things will get better 'cos they wont, and don't hang around out of some misguided sense of responsibility towards them, 'cos it doesn't sound like they give a fuck about you.

What everyone else said basically.

Spartak@CPH
02-02-2006, 10:19:29
What the losers said but you have try and look at it as analytically as possible - it seems that you have a very emotional view at the moment and need to weigh up the pros and cons carefully.

Essentially you need to work out of you can get a better or equivilant job and if the answer is yes (almost certain I'm sure) you need to ask whether the company has anything to offer you to make it worth your while to stay there. Unless they are going to pay you lots or give you some extra training, I suspect they have nothing extra to offer except grief and its time to hightail it out of there - but play it cool and don't jump until you are ready to go to something better....

King_Ghidra
02-02-2006, 10:37:11
seems to be lots of work sucks threads lately

Venom
02-02-2006, 13:08:21
Originally posted by Funko
Yeah... look for a new job.

Was your boss shagging Monique? Sounds like it from that bare outline.

I already SAID THAT!

Funko
02-02-2006, 13:16:59
You are on my ignore list doofus.

Venom
02-02-2006, 13:23:09
It's where I belong.

Japher
02-02-2006, 13:23:57
huh?

mr_G
02-02-2006, 13:39:45
I want to shag monique tooooo, i think.

self biased
02-02-2006, 15:42:39
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
It doesn't help that my boyfriend has given me an "order" saying he will "not allow me to work there past june." (he and i are a whole nother issue i won't even begin to get into). I feel very trapped right now...

please, please, don't take shit from him. you could find a similar company to work for and go there. i know rivals are always keen to swipe employees from their competitors.

Funko
02-02-2006, 15:49:37
I was going to say "fuck him too" but I realised it'd be potentially misunderstood.

self biased
02-02-2006, 15:52:49
well, clearly. she is living with him.

Funko
02-02-2006, 16:02:54
Yes. I know... oh never mind.

Nills Lagerbaak
02-02-2006, 16:12:54
Why fuck him? He sounds like he has given the order cos he realises the jobs no good. A bit authoritarian, but so...?

Venom
02-02-2006, 16:12:59
Let's just go ahead and have "State the Obvious Day". We'll suspend 100-0 rules for that day, obviously.

self biased
02-02-2006, 16:25:29
there's better ways of saying something like that, rather than just putting your foot down and giving an order. just by the way she put it, it's like he's trying to not be so wishy-washy, but only adding more stress to things.

Funko
02-02-2006, 16:33:40
Yes exactly.

King_Ghidra
02-02-2006, 16:35:22
giving orders is fun

Funko
02-02-2006, 16:37:25
Orders - giving is better than receiving.

Tizzy
02-02-2006, 16:40:14
However receiving them, especially regarding something you are already stressed about, is not.

Nills Lagerbaak
02-02-2006, 16:40:14
Originally posted by self biased
there's better ways of saying something like that, rather than just putting your foot down and giving an order. just by the way she put it, it's like he's trying to not be so wishy-washy, but only adding more stress to things.

Yeah, some people have a funny way of putting things, but sounds like he meant well, certainly not worthy of a "fucking"

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-02-2006, 17:31:19
It's posts like that which give me warm, fuzzy feelings about unions.

self biased
02-02-2006, 17:32:09
and then you get your legs broken.

MoSe
02-02-2006, 17:46:48
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
seems to be lots of work sucks threads lately

yeah, I heard that Chupa Chups workers said the same, during the company's recent crisis

Chris
02-02-2006, 18:29:32
My idea remains the best.

devilmunchkin
02-02-2006, 18:34:06
don't think we have a union....and i'm not really sure about who our competitors would be other than Medical Manager...not sure where they are located.

What i've been doing for the past few years is holding out hoping I get into graduate school...I apply every year..my third year applying... Already gotten one rejection from UNT.. 5 more to go this year.

The company i work for is very specialized...it produces and sells it's own software privately..so my knowledge of that software does me no good anywhere else. My best bet is to try and play up any technical/newsletter writing experience I have if indeed i get rejected from all 6 schools this year

as for andre..i think he means well..he's very angry with my work and blaming it for all of the problems we have...he's sat by and watched a lot of stuff go on...

Japher
02-02-2006, 18:35:30
my knowledge of that software does me no good anywhere else

No, but being able to acquire that knowledge required some skill

self biased
02-02-2006, 18:40:00
Originally posted by devilmunchkin
as for andre..i think he means well..he's very angry with my work and blaming it for all of the problems we have...he's sat by and watched a lot of stuff go on...

understandable. i'd like to think the same thing about as well, but i'm getting the impression that the goings on at work are a convient scapegoat.

devilmunchkin
02-02-2006, 18:57:05
well..that's also why i didn't want to get into the him thing....there's more to it... i figure if i can just get the work thing solved i can try to sort things out the rest of the way by myself...i like having CG input sometimes..

oh..and i don't know if there was anything romantic involved...i didn't pry...i'd like to think our supervisor was above that.....i hope....at the start, when they were friends and all buddy buddy..they play fought like a married couple

self biased
02-02-2006, 19:18:32
yeah, they were fucking.

devilmunchkin
02-02-2006, 21:01:25
are all companies this way? do you all feel like this at your jobs?

Japher
02-02-2006, 21:04:29
there's politics at all work places

don't get angry, just learn to manipulate them

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:10:11
update or no-update

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:17:27
oh update..hold on

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:18:54
i'm holding
i'm holding

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:22:17
well..things SEEM to be smoothed over atm. My supervisor came and apologized for venting and then he vented some more. But he's ok with me now because the other company supervisor (andre's mom) has pissed him off so it's taken the focus off me. Today the VP took myself, my supervisor and Monique's replacement out to lunch...i think he wanted to smooth things over or run since 2nd supervisor ala Dolly Parton has been on "the warpath"

Found out they had this new guy hired for the most part before Monique was even fired. Makes it sound even more fishy..but Ferd (oops..edit: my supervisor) had been talking about getting rid of her for awhile. The new guy (who actually has worked for the company before but was fired) starts this coming Wednesday.

So atm this situation in particular has calmed down on the surface but who knows it will bubble up again. My stress lvl is now just at 100% instead of 200% due to normal shit I have to take from Dolly, her minions, and our clients.

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:27:14
ok, so now you can go look for a new job wizzzout the stressfactor running in the red.
well that's good.

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:30:53
no..my regular stress factor runs in the red. what i'd like to do is hold out and see if i get into any of the grad schools i applied to. if i get rejected, i'll look then if i don't kill myself first. ^ ^

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:33:36
relax devil,
take a beer and dooooooooooo di dooooooooo a bit.

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:34:55
i wish..i don't drink....
but i talk long power walks at lunch..seems to be my survival tool
along with readins CG and cnn at lunch (even if i don't post)

come to think of it..i surf more and more these days during work

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:43:27
ok, so your dooooooo di dooooooo part is taking a hike at lunch, well that's gooood.
so you surf more and more, well a person got to get his/hers exercise.

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:52:08
yeah...and i've learned that yoga doesn't help calm you down..weird huh?

mr_G
04-02-2006, 12:55:55
No that's not weird, i took some yoga classes last year to calm down a bit, well yoga classes are nothing for mrG.
Full of housewives with their housewife problems wich made me angry.
Did a meditation course after that and hey, that izzzz really kewl.

devilmunchkin
04-02-2006, 12:58:26
took it in college...only guys that took the class were ones that were homosexual or just wanted to pick up girls....i like it for the exercise value