PDA

View Full Version : A big fuck you to blizzard and WoW you stupid fucking shits.

HelloKitty
01-02-2006, 07:27:51
Apparently gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender guilds are illegal in WOW.

The reason? The guild violated thier sexual harassment rules for several reasons.

1- If people knew they were gay, it would make them a target for anti-gay players to harass.

2- Any recruiting etc would bring up discussions that were innappropriate for the game.

3- (exact quote) "Many people are insulted just at the word 'homosexual' "

So apparently if you are in a gay guild and petitioned...

So stay in the closet in WoW.

And yes, several people from my old guild in EQ (nameless love) are (were) in the guild that blizzard fucked with, Oz.

I guess blizzard thought the guild "the spreading taints" were ok until the news sites outed them as gay rather than just asshole teenage boys.

So fuck you blizzard.

Oh and do your own searches. THe news hit on the 25th.

Kitsuki
01-02-2006, 09:17:36
Isnt it discriminatory to not let straight / single-gendered people into your guild Kitty? ;)

Beta1
01-02-2006, 09:27:56
stop stirring kitsuki

on its own could be legally challenged here I think

Mightytree
01-02-2006, 11:42:29
What took you so long, Kitty?

MDA
01-02-2006, 11:46:46
heard about it

lame

I wonder if that's what happens when you let accounting make all your decisions?

"it may incite certain responses in other players that will allow for discussion that we feel has no place in our game."

translated: "it may incite certain responses that would require us to take action, like cancelling the accounts of paying customers"

after all, an assholes money spends just as well as anyone elses, and there are LOTS of assholes playing WoW

Kitsuki
01-02-2006, 12:16:04
Originally posted by Beta1
stop stirring kitsuki

on its own could be legally challenged here I think

Meh, only because it's Kitty take an MMORPG too seriously again...

To be honest, I have a problem with those guilds who say they only recruit people from a certain country, and that kind of crap too.

As far as this goes, yeah, Blizzard are in the wrong.

MDA
01-02-2006, 12:41:53
true, exclusivity bad, friendly good

I would like to know ahead of time if an all druid guild I'm joining is for furries. Label me a rabid anti-furrite if you like, I just don't have the fortitude to take what goes down in furry guild chat.

HelloKitty
01-02-2006, 21:19:59
Originally posted by Mightytree
What took you so long, Kitty?

Death of a parent, travel and funeral slows news down.

HelloKitty
01-02-2006, 21:27:42
Originally posted by Kitsuki
Isnt it discriminatory to not let straight / single-gendered people into your guild Kitty? ;)

What guild are you talking about? Ours which took anyone?

HelloKitty
01-02-2006, 21:32:36
From the frontpage of the guild blizzard fucked with.

We did not want to send the message that it seemed so many others were sending us...one of unacceptance and intolerance of others.....

OZ became a guild where GLBT were accepted openly and without prejudice or fear of being the brunt of jokes made at their expense and where they could be open and honest about who they were without the fear of rejection......

we also decided, in the true spirit of our ideals, to accept anyone and everyone

Venom
01-02-2006, 21:47:38
GLBT? Does that T mean what I think it means? Because we should be able to joke about them. That stuff is funny.

HelloKitty
01-02-2006, 21:55:37
Gay Lesbian Bisexual and T-gender.

People who dress up like Mr T.

Venom
01-02-2006, 22:07:57
Yeah, we should definitely make fun of those guys.

Mightytree
01-02-2006, 23:36:40
What irritates me is why people feel the need at all to publish their sexual orientation like that in a computer game. Does it really matter when I'm doing an instance with someone if he's straight, gay or prefers munchkins? Every guild that has sensible people in it is automatically GLBT friendly. There's no need for "official" gay guilds. With the immature community WoW has, you're just asking to be ridiculed.

Asher
01-02-2006, 23:51:28
Why the fuck do people need gay guilds? Honestly.

I'm on Blizzard's side with this, those people are just shit-stirrers given the average age and mentality of WoW players.

There's such a thing as flaunting that is annoying.

Asher
01-02-2006, 23:52:45
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Your guild takes anyone? I hate those guilds.

The guilds I'm in a discriminatory -- in that, if you're an immature twit or an idiot, you're not invited in.

It's mostly friends, friends of friends, and now friends of friends of friends.

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 00:39:04

That yours was a hypothetical "yours." I have no idea what guilds you have been in....

HelloKitty
02-02-2006, 03:23:31
And the fanboys come out to downplay the problem and pretend that something that doesn't even exist is the problem.

Shining1
02-02-2006, 03:24:54
We have many open (flaming, raging) homos on my server, including some of the absolute best players. Just no guilds catering exclusively to such.

No need for the closet.

Asher
02-02-2006, 03:33:44
And the fanboys come out to downplay the problem and pretend that something that doesn't even exist is the problem.
I'm hardly a fanboy, I play maybe 2-3 hours a week these days.

It's a private game looking to minimize conflicts. I wouldn't recommending wearing an "I'm GAY AND IM PROUDDDDD" shirt to an Alabama Jr High either.

Just how it is, stop crying and get over it.

Whiney Lesbians, christ.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
02-02-2006, 04:27:15

Hey! There's that "You disgree with me, you're a Blizzard apologist and fanboi" thing again. Bit like Dubya, really - if you're against his foreign policies, you're "isolationist"; if you're against his "anti-terror" policies, you're "unpatriotic".

I prefer to look at it as the staving off of the inevitable lawsuit(s).

HelloKitty
02-02-2006, 07:34:03
Good point. Asher and Kitsuki don't suck at the teat of blizzard at all.

And what lawsuits would these be and where are you getting any idea that this could happen? Since both UO and EQ had huge gay guilds, and SOE even published interviews with Nameless love in their books.

If blizzard wanted to prevent hate speech they would enforce thier standards. "Don't let people know you are black because someone will call you a niggar." wouldn't be acceptable. How about all those christian guilds?

So please, explain how I am wrong? Or MDA for that matter?

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 09:23:06
Haha, listen to me complain about Blizzard's European servers (which are shit, and hosted by a company that constantly allows appalling lag spikes) and you know that isnt the case. If anything, I am a big fan of Chris Metzen, but thats it.

The point is, what has this got to do with the game? Should I start a guild which, say, only allows people in who agreed with the Iraq War or something? Of course not.

Should you base it on people's play time, attitude, PvE/PvP, casual/hardcore and perhaps on language (on European servers.) Not on things out of game that should not affect how you play.

"Positive" discrimination (or "affirmative" action as you Americans call it) is not positive or affirmative at all, instead it highlights differences, which is ludicrously self-defeating.

I think Blizz are absolutely wrong to say, "it might offend other players" but at the same time I think LGBT groups are thick as mince to have LGBT only guilds.

LoD
02-02-2006, 10:41:22
If someone made a guild that makes it mandatory for every member to wear a blue shirt for at least 10 minutes on every Thursday, would it be banned?

Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it should be disallowed.

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 10:53:58
I didnt say Blizz were in the right, I think they are totally wrong - but at the same time I think the LGBT chaps are being self-defeating.

Tbh, who gives a shit about people's RL gender / sexual orientation etc when playing a MMORPG...?

LoD
02-02-2006, 11:02:30
Apparently, some people do give a shit - that's why those guilds exist.

Mightytree
02-02-2006, 11:46:54
What Kituski said. I don't agree with what Blizzard did, but that doesn't change the fact that GLBT guilds are moronic. The people in them only shoot themselves in the foot and then start wondering why it hurts.

Blizzard will never enforce their standards if they don't have to. They won't go around banning everybody that calls somebody else a faggot, because that'd mean eradicating 80% of their player base. They're just doing what's economically sensible for them. That's definitely not morally correct, but they're running a private service and can do whatever the hell they want. If you expect anything else, you are a fool. If you don't like it, nobody forces you to continue paying them.

My personal care-o-meter hovers around zero for this case. Did Blizzard handle this right? No. Are GLBT guilds morons? Yep.

*shrug*

Now continue trolling, Kitty. Maybe you'll get some more responses out of the other people here.

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 12:13:04
Originally posted by LoD
Apparently, some people do give a shit - that's why those guilds exist.

But its utterly self-defeating, hypocritical and discriminatory.

MDA
02-02-2006, 12:15:38
our guild rules have a general statement saying anyone harassing or abusing anyone for any reason gets the boot

actually its longer than that, but its all gone now, along with our website and forums

not sure why the maintainer didn't back things up before fooling with them

Venom
02-02-2006, 13:18:54
Because he's a Venom-class moron?

HelloKitty
02-02-2006, 16:23:48
First off, can anyone read? Show me any of the gay guilds mentioned or involved being discrimitory. All the ones I know of take anyone, not just GLBT. (kitsuki)

So a guild formed for only pvpers, so that pvpers can be together ina guild who all have the same interests in a social game that forbids carebears and adverts all over the place they are pvpers and attract the attention of the people they gank is ok.

But a guild formed for GLBT players and gay friendly, so that players can be together in a guild who have the same interests and don't need to be in a guild chat full of "WOOO PWNED THAT FAGGOT" can only exist as long as no one knows about them?

The whole point of a guild is to put players together who share the same goals and interests. Social guilds or raid guilds, or family guilds or whatever. All of them have a specific goal and recruit based on that. Why are they allowed but this isn't? How is setting up a guild that specificaly for the reasons that guilds exist, run specifically for the reasons guilds exist, folloing the game rules exactly, is moronic?

The point is what blizzard is doing is 100% wrong. Do I expect them to ban the majority of thier playerbase for being the worst in mmos? No. Should they follow their own rules?

THeway to handle this would be to start responding to complaints of harassment, issue some warnings and ban the most egregious cases. Word gets around pretty quickly. But blizzard CS won't do what even some of the worst MMO companies do.

LoD
02-02-2006, 16:25:37

They're just doing what's economically sensible for them. That's definitely not morally correct, but they're running a private service and can do whatever the hell they want.

Oh, great, so anyone can, for example create and enterprise whose goal is "exterminating" Germans from neighbourhoods, and justify the needed actions as "economically sensible".

They are allowed to do "whatever the hell they want", as long as it is allowed by the law. And I'm fairly certain that regulation will probably spark lawsuits.

But its utterly self-defeating, hypocritical and discriminatory.

If they allow for anyone to join?

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 17:02:46
First off, can anyone read? Show me any of the gay guilds mentioned or involved being discrimitory. All the ones I know of take anyone, not just GLBT. (kitsuki)

So a guild formed for only pvpers, so that pvpers can be together ina guild who all have the same interests in a social game that forbids carebears and adverts all over the place they are pvpers and attract the attention of the people they gank is ok.

But a guild formed for GLBT players and gay friendly, so that players can be together in a guild who have the same interests and don't need to be in a guild chat full of "WOOO PWNED THAT FAGGOT" can only exist as long as no one knows about them?

The whole point of a guild is to put players together who share the same goals and interests. Social guilds or raid guilds, or family guilds or whatever. All of them have a specific goal and recruit based on that. Why are they allowed but this isn't? How is setting up a guild that specificaly for the reasons that guilds exist, run specifically for the reasons guilds exist, folloing the game rules exactly, is moronic?

The American player base must be fucking moronic if the above is really the case - in Europe any mature guild doesnt act like that; but homophobia isnt nearly as much of a problem here either.

Doesnt sound like an LGBT guild is what is needed, just one that is mature. Even simply calling it an LGBT guild makes a solid, dividing distinction. Why are you calling it an LGBT guild if it takes other people, if only to try and make some kind of point?

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 17:04:35
Originally posted by LoD

If they allow for anyone to join?

I'm referring to any type of "positive" discrimation.

HelloKitty
02-02-2006, 17:19:25
The American player base must be fucking moronic if the above is really the case - in Europe any mature guild doesnt act like that; but homophobia isnt nearly as much of a problem here either.

Its like a giant middle school in South Carolina

Doesnt sound like an LGBT guild is what is needed, just one that is mature. Even simply calling it an LGBT guild makes a solid, dividing distinction. Why are you calling it an LGBT guild if it takes other people, if only to try and make some kind of point?

Are you reading the thread?

Kitsuki
02-02-2006, 17:29:28
Its like a giant middle school in South Carolina

Are you reading the thread?

a ) I'm glad I play with Europeans then.

b ) Unfortunately it would appear so.

Mightytree
02-02-2006, 17:42:08
Look, all I'm asking is that people are realistic. I don't agree with how Blizzard handled this. I'm just wondering where all the outrage is coming from - it's almost as if you really expected anything else.

That's exactly it. If all you're looking for is sensible people and you accept people with every sexual orientation - why do you call and advertise it as a gay guild? I have never said LBGT guilds can't exist - of course they can - but with all the bigots among the WoW player base it's simply not the smartest thing to advertise it like that. Like it or not, it *is* inflammatory.

As far as Blizzard's economic sensibility is concerned - the fact is they won't do anything about some issue as long as there aren't a substantial number of people complaining and cancelling subscriptions. As long as people are bitching but they don't lose subscribers they won't lift a finger. People calling other faggots or discriminating against gays is obviously not something due to which Blizzard loses a lot of subscribers.

(And once again - I don't particularly like what Blizzard has done in this case. I'm just not especially surprised and outraged and trying to explain Blizzard's point of view as I understand it.)

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
03-02-2006, 03:26:22

Anyone can become a PvPer. According to what I hear, you can't choose your sexual orientation. Perhaps this is why? Or perhaps they tolerate guilds that discriminate against things that aren't covered by Federal laws, like idiocy, or PvPness, or having reached lvl60. I dunno. Most of the reasons you quoted were :rolleyes:

I think I pretty much subscribe to MT's point of view, so I won't comment further.

TV4Fun
03-02-2006, 04:58:25
If people knew they were gay, it would make them a target for anti-gay players to harass.Is this not a little like shooting people to prevent them from getting mugged?

TV4Fun
03-02-2006, 05:00:45
What irritates me is why people feel the need at all to publish their sexual orientation like that in a computer game. Does it really matter when I'm doing an instance with someone if he's straight, gay or prefers munchkins? Every guild that has sensible people in it is automatically GLBT friendly. There's no need for "official" gay guilds. With the immature community WoW has, you're just asking to be ridiculed. It is sometimes nice to get together with people who have similar interests/ideals in a social setting. And sad as it may be, WoW is many peoples' social setting of choice.

MDA
03-02-2006, 06:47:22
I think minority groups want to be given the same respect everyone else is, but they also need to publicize/educate others about their own existence to become accepted

they're forced to go around saying "look at me, I'm different" and at the same time convince people that in the ways that matter, they really aren't. Difficult.

Not sure I had a point, its late...

HelloKitty
03-02-2006, 17:51:02
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Anyone can become a PvPer. According to what I hear, you can't choose your sexual orientation. Perhaps this is why? Or perhaps they tolerate guilds that discriminate against things that aren't covered by Federal laws, like idiocy, or PvPness, or having reached lvl60. I dunno. Most of the reasons you quoted were :rolleyes:

I think I pretty much subscribe to MT's point of view, so I won't comment further.

I like how you ignore the examples I used in the thread before until this one.

How about the niggar guild?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
04-02-2006, 03:40:21
I'm glad you like it. I'll continue to do so in that case. /stopsfeedingthetroll

Scabrous Birdseed
04-02-2006, 14:38:38
So advertising your tolerance for people of all sexualities is, in fact, "inflammatory"? My goodness. I must go renounce my ideals of democracy and justice lest some neonazi nutcase take offence!

(Damn, I've started arguing like Gary. :o)

Mightytree, calling someone that has the opposite political viewpoint of you a troll is a very poly thing to do. Just sayin'. You should be calling her a Butler-reading SCUM-manifestoed lesbonazi, whereupon we on the correct side of the political spectrum would tut and pity your clueless propagation of the ideological hegemony of heteronormative and patriarchal discourse.

Shining1
05-02-2006, 01:13:43
I blame Nebu.

MDA
06-02-2006, 11:56:42
I blame chickencow. (Skywall in-joke)

*End Is Forever*
06-02-2006, 20:10:10
God knows why I read this thread, but surely if a guild allows anyone to join, then it isn't an "LGBT guild"?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
07-02-2006, 00:31:26
Shhh! This thread was dropping! Don't bump it!

D'oh!

*End Is Forever*
09-02-2006, 21:55:19
What do you mean, don't bump it?