PDA

View Full Version : What's a good MP3 player to get?

Walrus Feeder
27-01-2006, 22:23:07
Yeah, getting to that point where i'm considering getting an MP3 player or iPOD, as I rarely seem to get a chance to sit down and listen to albums whole nowadays, and end up skipping some of the crap tracks. I'm sure there's enough knowledge from Counterglowers' about what's a good one to get, and where from. Hope you can help! :rolleyes:

*End Is Forever*
27-01-2006, 22:24:13
I've got an iPod nano which is excellent. Depends how many tracks you want to put on though - I think the proper iPods are a bit too bulky.

Do you have a budget?

Venom
27-01-2006, 22:28:15
I heard the nanos have crap sound quality compared to the other models.

*End Is Forever*
27-01-2006, 22:30:30
I can't say I've noticed any problems, although I've never had an iPod before. I had custody of a friend's (first generation) iPod for a couple of days and the sound quality on that was no better than the nano, possibly worse in fact.

Venom
27-01-2006, 22:34:16
Also...TECHGEEK FORUM!!!

Sir Penguin
27-01-2006, 22:47:57
I understand the new video iPods are pretty good, although somebody I know recently had to send in theirs because the battery failed. They're still overpriced and underfeatured though. No radio, no voice recording, and crummy format support. You can't put music with DRM on unless it was bought from iTMS.

I can't recommend anything though. I use my PDA.

SP

HelloKitty
27-01-2006, 23:35:39
The creative Zen Nomad 40 gig is larger than an ipod but costs a few hundred less. Plus it is not mac compatable, so its better!

Deacon
27-01-2006, 23:56:07
Ipod (not the shuffle), Iaudio flash-based, and Iriver flash-based in order of first to last. Of those, I own an Iriver flash-based player. I want to get an Ipod next. Most people should get the Ipod first, and then get one of the other two if they want the "kitchen sink" features and don't mind the lower storage capacity. My Iriver has replaced my tape recorder.

Among other things, I use it to record FM radio. I don't have to wait for the artist or song to be announced if I record a short clip from each song I like. Usually a lyrics search or Amazon is enough to identify the artist and song title. By not being tied down, I can quickly cycle through my presets until something decent gets played.

Of course, the Ipod isn't the only hard drive based player out there. :)

*End Is Forever*
28-01-2006, 00:04:19
iPod nanos are flash-based.

TV4Fin
28-01-2006, 09:19:23
MobiBlu dah-1500i is a nice, reasonably priced MP3 player with great sound quality.