PDA

View Full Version : Oh my good Lord :slapshead:

Gary
27-01-2006, 09:42:50
... this country is getting more like the US every day ! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm)

Just under half of Britons accept the theory of evolution as the best description for the development of life, according to an opinion poll.

Furthermore, more than 40% of those questioned believe that creationism or intelligent design (ID) should be taught in school science lessons.

Funko
27-01-2006, 09:44:36
Yay, ignorance is global.

MattHiggs
27-01-2006, 10:35:54
At least I can say I'm more intelligent than 40% of the population.

King_Ghidra
27-01-2006, 10:37:09
someone mentioned this stat at work the other day and i was surprised they were surprised

it's no secret many people in britain are either explicitly religious or belive in some ill-defined higher power, so why should it surprise anyone that those same people don't believe in evolution?

Funko
27-01-2006, 10:45:38
I think there are a few issues.

One is that a lot of people don't understand the difference between the three things.

One is the religious angle.

One is the generally poor level of the population's understanding of science fundamentals. Even in otherwise well educated, intelligent individuals.

And the ID camp have marketed their position extremely cleverly. To the layman their rhetoric can sound as convincing as the real scientific arguments.

But the numbers don't surprise me.

One positive contrast of the UK with respect to the US situation is that although people might answer a poll one way or the other it's not an issue the majority of people really care about, there is no pressure on the government about it like there is in the states.

Immortal Wombat
27-01-2006, 10:47:54
60% not offensively stupid and a healthy 13% "dunno"s. We could be doing worse. And the news item said that it was the over 55s more likely to be choosing against evolution. Give it 20 years. I think the schools are actually pretty good on this.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-01-2006, 11:11:25
Yeah, I think there is a larger proportion of religious under 50's in the states...I could be wrong but I'd like to see the stats.

But lie Funko said there are different angles. Like one of my sister's mates is quite an otherwise clever girl, but was amazed when I told her that stars were other suns! People like that could be all for ID, without being aware of what it entails.

Funko
27-01-2006, 11:12:09
but was amazed when I told her that stars were other suns

:lol:

Nills Lagerbaak
27-01-2006, 11:14:39
I like to think she was pretending to be impressed with my knowledge to get me into bed :p

King_Ghidra
27-01-2006, 11:48:27
that's one of the most staggeringly air-headed things i've ever heard

Funko
27-01-2006, 11:50:56
I take it you mean Nills' comment about her wanting to get him into bed?

King_Ghidra
27-01-2006, 11:52:11
let's say it was a meeting of minds :D

Gary
27-01-2006, 12:49:07
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
it's no secret many people in britain are either explicitly religious or belive in some ill-defined higher power, so why should it surprise anyone that those same people don't believe in evolution? Maybe because belief in a deity does not preclude accepting evidence on how this particular physical universe seems to run.

Personally I find the figures astounding. I appreciate that biologists don't have the answer to every question, yet. All progress involves supposition initially until it's disproved or borne out, but it seems incredible to me that one would prefer divine intervention to a plausible and demonstrable scientific theory. Especially in the scientifically advance countries.

MoSe
27-01-2006, 13:07:55
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
I like to think she was pretending to be impressed with my knowledge to get me into bed :p

it's not clear to me WHO needed an excuse (or an incentive), you or her????

King_Ghidra
27-01-2006, 13:36:37
Originally posted by Gary
Maybe because belief in a deity does not preclude accepting evidence on how this particular physical universe seems to run.

i think it does, and i'm impressed at anyone who is able to logically hold a simultaneous belief in both the current scientific paradigm and also the infinite powers of some megabeing

Venom
27-01-2006, 13:40:20
See, you fuckers are stupid too.

Nills Lagerbaak
27-01-2006, 13:42:03
I think it's pretty much accepted that scientists won't ever figure out what happened in the first few peco-seconds of the univese - they admit that realm belongs to theologins.

So believe in ultimate force I could understand, but anything more than that (Adam and Eve in the garden of eden) is just fair tales IMO.

King_Ghidra
27-01-2006, 13:45:27
by ultimate force you mean chuck norris right?

Gary
27-01-2006, 13:54:53
What's the problem ? Diety kicks things off and basically sits back and lets it all unfold. Presumably awaiting some time distant payoff for the whole thing.

Hardly a simulltaneous tea and no-tea situation :)