PDA

View Full Version : Apart from a reinstall

Gary
23-01-2006, 20:09:48
Is there a way to check out one's Windows system ?

I ask as my girlfriend has had problems with her PC of late. Twice when plugging in a pen drive into a front USB port the PC went down. The PS2 ports at the back seem buggered too (Have to plug keyboard and trackball into USB ports now.)

More to the point, the disk scans on start up found and truncated some files. Is there anything to spot missing (or corrupt) files and replace them ?

There's been no obvious Windows related problems yet, but with deleted files I guess there's a chance there may be soon ?

Actually I say no problems, but now, if one plugs the pen drive into the USB port, the mouse pointer just freezes and one has to reboot to get it back !

Venom
23-01-2006, 20:21:18
That doesn't sound like a software problem, it sounds like a hardware problem.

You could always try a Windows repair install. It re-installs the OS without formatting the drive.

Gary
23-01-2006, 20:43:04
Yeah I agree the physical problems are hardware, it's the truncated files I was more concerned about. She can live without the pen disk, which is mine anyway.

A repair install eh ? Maybe I'll ask if she knows where the install disk is then. Thanks.

Venom
23-01-2006, 21:25:44
Sometimes hardware problems can manifest themselves in weird ways. Like fucking up your hard drive. I had a CD burner go bad one time and it would repeatedly corrupted my hard drive. But try the OS re-install. Just choose the option to search for previous windows installs and install over that.

MattHiggs
21-06-2006, 17:25:14
Good god!