PDA

View Full Version : Budget computer quandry

Scabrous Birdseed
22-01-2006, 12:29:54
Well, as you might have guessed by my posting over the past year and a half that computer I was going to buy never materialised and the money went elsewhere. Now my PC (which was ailing in the summer of 2004) is an unweildy troglodyte dragging its knuckles at snail's pace. I might be the only person left in the western world still using the first edition of Win 98, for instance. Or the Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Ultra graphics card. :)

So, anyway, turns out my GFs best friend is selling her computer, purchased a year ago off the internet. (She's travelling and so replacing it with a laptop her dad's apparently buying.) She wants 4500 kr (330, $580, 480) for it. Here are the specs, bear in mind that components here generally cost 30-50% more than in the US:

ATX Miditower with 300 W power supply
AMD XP2800+ 64Bit socket 754 Boxed
MSI K8M NEO-V Motherboard (with integrated sound, graphics, networking)
512 MB RAM (Crucial PC3200)
Seagate 160 GB HD
52X CD-Rom/-RW
Logitech Mouse and pretty flat Keyboard
BenQ FP567s 15" TFT
Some okay licenced software (Photoshop being the only one that leaps out)

From my old PC I have a better CD drive and a better soundcard I'll likely upgrade it with, plus another 50GB hard drive and maybe some RAM, though I suspect it's incompatible by now.

Now, my GF quite wants to buy this but we're definitely not swimming in cash and it's not like we want a bad deal in any case. I'm slightly suspicious of some of the features... Integrated graphics - will this ever be anything but poo? I don't play games anymore (bar via emulators) but I do a fair bit of image editing.
Is a 15" flatscreen really worth it? I mean, you can probably get a 19" CRT for the price of a new one, can't you?
Are all these companies I've never heard of (MSI, Crucial) cheap-ass skank companies whose product will fail in short order? and most importantly
Can I get a much better second-hand PC for the price?

MattHiggs
22-01-2006, 13:54:26
You defintely need to get an AGP graphics card on there. Intergrated graphics are usually terrible.

Crucial makes great RAM and PC3200 is a good standard. The MSI motherboard is also good and gives you quite a bit of room for any future upgrades.

330 seems a reasonable price, not a great deal but not ripping you off.

Scud Wallaby
22-01-2006, 19:10:00
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
I might be the only person left in the western world still using the first edition of Win 98, for instance. Or the Nvidia RIVA TNT2 Ultra graphics card. :)

erm... not the only person still using an Nvidia RIVA TNT2...

:cry:

Spartak@CPH
22-01-2006, 19:35:05
The Foreign office still uses a version of win98.