PDA

View Full Version : Centenarians

King_Ghidra
18-01-2006, 13:45:10
This is a superb article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,2763,1688878,00.html

In the 60s, fewer than 300 people in Britain had reached the age of 100. Today, there are more than 6,000, a number expected to swell to 40,000 in three decades' time. But what is it like to have lived a life that spans a century? Stephen Moss sought out eight centenarians to ask them

The term "no-nonsense" could have been invented for Nora Hardwick. She can't understand the fuss over her 100th birthday, which she celebrated in November, and when at the end I thank her for telling me her life story, she says of it: "What a load of rubbish." Evidently, she considers it just another life.

So where does elderly start? "Look at my daughter, Maureen," says Mrs Hardwick. "She's 77, but I don't look on her as elderly. And Janice there. She's 72. I don't look on her as elderly. But years ago you used to look on people in their 60s as old. And the way people dress: people don't dress old now."

The non-elderly Janice adds: "As soon as some people reach 60 or 65, they think, 'Oh, I've retired now ... They think old, instead of getting on with it. I've just come back from London. I had a marvellous weekend. went to see Rod Stewart at Earl's Court. It was brilliant."

lots more like that, great stuff.

Funko
18-01-2006, 14:00:40
That is a great article.

Venom
18-01-2006, 14:10:07
I'm never gonna make it to 100.

Gary
18-01-2006, 14:21:28
If helps to have good genes, then you can afford to be blase about it. On the other hand if your body bits start going wrong and aching etc. in your 30s, and your mental ability seems to be getting a knock in your 40s, the best you can hope for is a registration at Counterglow and a short retirement.

MoSe
18-01-2006, 16:23:51
Originally posted by Gary
On the other hand if your body bits start going wrong and aching etc. in your 30s, and your mental ability seems to be getting a knock in your 40s, the best you can hope for is a registration at Counterglow and a short retirement.

I got the registration, now....

In 5 years at most, I plan to quit, sell what I have to sell, rake what I'll have set aside, pull all the stops and blow it all away in Las Vegas.
If I'll be lucky, I'll go on living carelessly till my heart explodes, if I go broke, curtain falls.
:smoke:

Japher
18-01-2006, 16:26:11
buisness model; home adaptions and adjustments for the elderly, you could also rent wheel chairs, hearing aides, etc...

ways to make a home more usable by the elderly, because old folk homes are going to get over populated and really expensive

HelloKitty
18-01-2006, 18:36:29
I had a marvellous weekend. went to see Rod Stewart at Earl's Court. It was brilliant.

Rod Stewart. She is old!