PDA

View Full Version : Provost!!!!!!

Japher
17-01-2006, 19:01:30
Ling (http://msn.careerbuilder.com/custom/msn/careeradvice/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=669&SiteId=cbmsnhp4669&sc_extcmp=JS_669_home1&7650=&cbRecursionCnt=1&cbsid=4da89139606b44a28c9430151eb056f9-190821560-wk-2)

What habits and mindsets are keeping you from reaching your full potential? According to Richard Carlson, Ph.D., these are some common hangups that can get in the way of your success:

1. Wallowing in the Past
Everyone messes up at some point or other. The important thing is often not the mistake itself, but rather how quickly you recover and move on from it. When you're at fault, admit it, apologize, fix it and then go forward. By recovering quickly, you'll learn from mistakes and save a lot of time and aggravation.

2. Being a Control Freak
High stress levels have been traced to a national trend toward controlling behavior. Controlling people concern themselves not only with their own thoughts and actions, but insist others think and act in certain ways as well. This is a losing battle. Try to see the advantages in how others approach things. Not only will you experience less tension, you'll find that when people feel accepted for who they are, they will be more inclined to help you.

3. Wishing You Were Someplace Else
When you're at work, you wish you were home; when it's Monday you wish it were Saturday... it's almost impossible to be focused and effective when your mind is preoccupied with where it would rather be. If you're not careful, you can begin wishing your life away. Spending less time wanting to be somewhere else and more time focused on what you're actually doing will help you regain your enthusiasm and be more creative and productive.

4. Negative Thinking
Many people are held back by negative or fearful thoughts. For years an independent salesperson told herself it wasn't worth calling prospects on weekends because they might be offended. Truth was, she was afraid to make the calls. Once she decided to drop her fear and pick up the phone, she discovered weekends were an excellent time to call, because more people were home, relaxed and receptive. As a result, she tripled her income.

5. Not Asking For What You Want
Be it a raise, more resources for a project or a second chance, it's amazing what you can accomplish simply by asking for what you want. The key is to believe in your request and that others want to help you.

6. Becoming Too Attached to Outcomes
Being attached to a specific outcome takes enormous amounts of energy and creates anxiety that gets in your way of doing your best. Being detached, on the other hand, creates emotional freedom. It means trying hard and really caring, but at the same time being completely willing to let go of the outcome. Detachment takes the pressure off and lets you enjoy the process.

7. Fear of Public Speaking
Experts repeatedly say speaking in front of groups is the No. 1 fear in America -- topping even bankruptcy and death! Yet, the increased visibility and advancement opportunities you gain from being able to present to groups are enormous. Take a public speaking course, then put yourself in situations that require you to get up and talk in front of people. You'll find it gets easier and more fun with practice.

8. Self-Absorption
Self-absorbed individuals love to hear themselves talk and see others as instruments to get what they want. This is not only unattractive, it's detrimental to your personal development. Self-absorbed people tend to have poor relationships and slow learning curves, since they don't listen well. If you're drifting in that direction, make an adjustment. Everyone will benefit.

9. Making Career Decisions to Please Others
Too many people choose a career based on what they think will impress or win the approval of others. However, your best chance at success is through doing work you love. If you're not happy in your chosen field, consider switching to one for which you have a genuine interest or passion.

10. Always Seeking Perfection
Not everything has to go perfectly to be a success. Pick what is important and concentrate your efforts there. As for the rest, lowering your expectations a bit will allow you to relax and focus on the most important aspects of your job.

note #5

Provost Harrison
17-01-2006, 21:52:10
Japher!!!!!!

Provost Harrison
17-01-2006, 21:56:24
Wise words...number 1 has posed a particular problem in the past but I have managed to get past that. And my god is number 2 correct...too many managers I have come across suffer from this, and they are more likely to get less out of me than more if they try and control me. And number 5 - yes, but first, I am going to see what they have to offer me in the first place ;)

JM^3
17-01-2006, 22:30:30
what is this on about?

JM

Provost Harrison
17-01-2006, 22:37:14
See my poly thread of this evening ;)

Immortal Wombat
18-01-2006, 00:26:17
I left forever.

Beta1
18-01-2006, 08:10:06
Ling?

Japher
18-01-2006, 13:35:28
I spelt Link wrong

so sue me

mr_G
18-01-2006, 13:36:38
yaaaay sew you!!!!

Scabrous Birdseed
18-01-2006, 14:54:47
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
number 1 has posed a particular problem in the past

Yes... I remember when #1 used to be so important... I was so foolish back then. I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

King_Ghidra
18-01-2006, 15:16:12
True, i found 3 to be a problem, but whenever i get that way, i picture myself on a lone tropical island, on a beautiful sandy beach. Soon my problems have faded away in the warm breeze.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-01-2006, 15:29:05
There's absolutely nothing I can do about #4.

Funko
18-01-2006, 15:46:50
They asked me to say something about #7 but I really don't want to.

Tizzy
18-01-2006, 15:47:56
I really need to know what happens if you try #6.

Venom
18-01-2006, 15:48:19
Shit. I've got all 10 of those things.

paiktis22
18-01-2006, 15:59:51
#2 i have

mr_G
18-01-2006, 16:03:56
yup all 10 for me.

Scabrous Birdseed
18-01-2006, 16:12:36
#8 absolutely does not apply to me. What a ridiculous thing to accuse me of! I know this person is just trying to help me, but honestly, he could have spent some more time looking at me and my specific situation before writing this article. I mean, I'm surely the one most in need of advice. I think this person who's written it is an idiot, he should listen to me and what I have to say instead. Last night I was saying to one of the waiters down at the club: honestly, why are you people so dull? You should all be more like me. This is exactly like that. I think the article would have been miles better if I'd written it.

Japher
18-01-2006, 16:24:53
#8 is Asher

MoSe
18-01-2006, 16:47:12
:lol:

1. Wallowing in the Past
What did a poet say? The roses I didn't pick....
I live almost only in my memories, but not for the bad: all the good things of my life are there ;)

2. Being a Control Freak
well, I like SMAC, and I'm a builder....
Seriously, you can have it your way if you want, but it's not ME wanting the rubbish to go in the bin, it's common sense. If you want to throw it on the floor you're welcome, but then don't come complaining if the room is messy and the cleaning lady hates you

3. Wishing You Were Someplace Else
When I'm at work, I'm on CG
wherever else should I want to be????

4. Negative Thinking
I prefer to call it being realistic. And prepared.

5. Not Asking For What You Want
We have a saying "asking doesn't cost you nothing". A self-delusional must have invented it

6. Becoming Too Attached to Outcomes
It's hard for me to try hard and really care without expecting an outcome.
Long ago I found out that not really caring in the first place saved me a lot of stomach aching

7. Fear of Public Speaking
Well, I can speak in public if necessary (I used to teach computers...). I mean, if it's really really necessary TO BE in public... :nervous:

8. Self-Absorption
:lol: I remember once long ago I was shouting at my dumb mom, and caught a glimpse of myself in rage in a mirror... it was the last time I got fascinated by my own image.
Seriously, I think others are so much more interesting than myself - but OTOH all I have to give them is my own persoanl experience...

9. Making Career Decisions to Please Others
Career?
Decisions?
yeah, that would be nice. I figure.

10. Always Seeking Perfection
Pick what is important.
Yes. I want to be perfect at that.

King_Ghidra
18-01-2006, 16:53:40
Originally posted by MoSe
I remember once long ago I was shouting at my dumb mom, and caught a glimpse of myself in rage in a mirror... it was the last time I got fascinated by my own image.

Every day, MoSe provides a new sig for me

JM^3
18-01-2006, 17:05:07

Seriously, I think others are so much more interesting than myself - but OTOH all I have to give them is my own persoanl experience...

I agree, and you also have the experiences of others.

Jon Miller

paiktis22
18-01-2006, 18:05:46
:
8. Self-Absorption
:lol: I remember once long ago I was shouting at my dumb mom, and caught a glimpse of myself in rage in a mirror... it was the last time I got fascinated by my own image.

I remember telling some "jokes" at some party. Well I didn't think I was cool but I didn't think I was uncool either. A friend video'ed me on his cell phone completely in my ignorance. Have you seen a monkey doing hip hop? something like that.