PDA

View Full Version : just had the easiest netwrk setup ever

Beta1
14-01-2006, 19:17:08
My old setup just had two desktops in different rooms connected by a crossover cable so they could share the net connection on my main machine and stream MP3s to each room. My girlf wanted music in the other rooms and wanted me to wire the laptop into the system. I put this off for ages as I didnt want to run cables and couldnt afford wireless.

At a education/IT trade fair today one of the hardware providers was flogging loads of cheap stuff - I picked up two wireless adaptors (one PCMIA and one USB) and a wireless access point for 50. Got home, disconnected the crossover cable, plugged the acess point into the main computer, bunged the adaptors in the others, turned everything on expecting the usual fight with network protocols.

Everything worked straight out of the box.

Why can't IT always be like that.

Sir Penguin
15-01-2006, 05:45:27
I had a pretty good experience with my wireless router, until I tried to access a server running on the wired network using my laptop on the wireless network. I still haven't managed to figure it out, although for some reason, I can run a web server on port 8080.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-01-2006, 06:45:41
And the guy in the next house is leeching your DSL/accessing your network files as we speak :)

Beta1
15-01-2006, 09:48:27
not anymore, just turned on the encryption.

Interestingly the guy in the one of the next flats must have a good wireless router as I can get a better signal on his network than mine (although it may just be his router is just the other side of the wall). There are currently 6 wireless networks in my area and 4 are unsecured...

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
15-01-2006, 17:43:13
I bet there's some way you could hook your PC up with a few extra PCI network cards and quadruple your Internet bandwitdh.

Beta1
16-01-2006, 19:10:12
LOL, great idea. 6x the bandwidth for the price of 1