PDA

View Full Version : 'Sex, Fame and PC Baangs: How the Orient plays host to PC gaming’s strangest culture'

King_Ghidra
13-01-2006, 13:02:58
Nice article. I was aware of some of it, but quite an eye-opener.

http://rossignol.cream.org/?p=284

Seoul, South Korea. To a fanfare of Asian nu-metal and the sound of a thousand screaming fans, a young Korean man enters a dazzling arena. Like an American wrestler at the heart of a glitter-glazed Royal Rumble, he strides down a ramp towards the stage. Adorned in what appears to be a space suit and a large white cape, he heads out to meet his opponent on the stadium’s ziggurat focus. Amid a blaze of flashbulbs and indoor fireworks he climbs the steps, and is exulted by the thronging crowd. Only twenty years old, and with no less than half a dozen TV cameras tracking his progress, this bizarre figure seems to be unfazed by his predicament. Diligently he waves to the crowd.

My interpreter, the amiable Mr Yang, leans forward. “To my brother he is a great hero. My brother can’t get enough of this. He has been to see him play many times.”

“So this guy has a lot of fans?” I say, knowing the answer but nevertheless incredulous.

“Hundreds of thousands in his fan club,” says Yang. “Impossible to track the number of people who watch him play.”

Impossible, because the man on the stage is on Korean television almost every day. He is about to sit down and play what is close to becoming Korea’s national sport: Starcraft. His name is Lee Yunyeol, or in game [RED]NaDa Terran. He is The Champion. Last year his reported earnings were around $200,000. He plays a seven year-old RTS for fame and fortune and to many Koreans he is an idol.

Nav
13-01-2006, 13:29:46
I wonder if these 'pro-starcraft-gamers' have actually purchased a copy of the game now, what with piracy being so rife in Korea.

Venom
13-01-2006, 13:51:44
Probably not.

Funko
13-01-2006, 14:07:55
Yes, cool article.

MattHiggs
13-01-2006, 15:09:14
Hmm, I'm sure I read exactly the same article in PCGamer a few months ago.

Venom
13-01-2006, 15:15:17
You did. If you look at the top of the article, right beneath the flag, he says that UK gamer gave him permission to re-post his article on his site.

MattHiggs
13-01-2006, 15:34:46
Ah, didn't click the link just read the quoted intro.

It was a really good article actually. I think I also read a month or two later that some kind of MarioKart type MMORPG is huge over there at the moment.

MattHiggs
13-01-2006, 15:36:09
Nevermind, that's in the article too :lol: