PDA

View Full Version : OK - Recommend me..................

Resource Consumer
09-01-2006, 14:25:33
........a camera (digital)

At present I have a Sony 3 MP one. It is OK but a bit variable in quality. It only has a digital zoom and not an optical zoom which I understand is bad for some reason.

So, gppd and experienced technoglowers, since Inta is pushing me to get a new one - what sort of thing would you recommend that I look out for, what are mimimum decent specs and are there any particular models that have given good experience?

Cheers

HelloKitty
09-01-2006, 14:58:57
Fujifilm F10 6.3 megapixels.

Awesome pictures. Also has the second lowest delay to photo of the low-mid range cameras.

You can do a websearch and find good reviews.

I bought one about a year ago, and did far far rtoo much research on them. This is an awesome digital point and shoot.

One day I will have the money to get a digital SLR.

HelloKitty
09-01-2006, 15:00:27
Oh and digital zoom vs optical.

A digital zoom is just where the computer blows up the picture and crops off the sides. An optical is where it takes the sam e picture but the lens zooms it.

Gary
09-01-2006, 15:40:25
Not so much bad, but no great advantage. I guess it means that the photo will take up less space on your card if you've already blown it up and cropped it at the time of taking the picture, but the downside will be that you've not put your limited number of pixels to good use.

Basically, no optical zoom = no real zoom at all.

Do you need as many as 6.3 Mpix ? I was criticised here a few years back for saying I'd want 4 Mpix ! But prices have fallen and you can even get decent named lenses with your massive pixel size these days.

No expert, but I think I'd be more inclined to stick with respected brand names in the camera/lens industry, and avoid the brilliant spec/unheard of names, but maybe I'm just overcautious.

Funko
09-01-2006, 15:42:03
Digital Zoom = Shit. -FACT

You might as well not zoom and do the enlarging/cropping in photoshop.

Resource Consumer
09-01-2006, 16:33:47
That's more or less what I discovered by experience. Well, it seems that prices are coming down pretty fast and I already have a 3Mpix so, if I am upgrading I want to upgrae significantly. I suppose I am probably thinking of a digital SLR here.....

Sir Penguin
09-01-2006, 20:30:50
OK, I recommend you.

SP

MattHiggs
10-01-2006, 09:13:31
Stick with brands that have always made good cameras: Canon, Fuji, Nikon etc...

Resource Consumer
10-01-2006, 10:00:29
Yep - that sounds good advice to me. I have seen a Nikon Coolpix 8800 that looks pretty good. Still not sure yet, though.

Aredhran
10-01-2006, 13:34:50
I recently bought a Canon Ixus 50 for my wife, it's absolutely great. Very small size (about the same as a pack of cigarettes), makes it very convenient, you can always have it in your pocket. It has a pretty good quality CCD (5 megapix), and some nice features and modes.

Re: digital zoom... it's really bad because the cameras usually use a crappy algorithm to interpolate (generate) pixels to make it the picture bigger. As Funko said, it's much better to stick with optical zoom and crop afterwards.

If you want a good site with in-depth technical reviews of cameras (although they don't do every single model), I recommend http://www.dpreview.com

Full review on the Ixus 50 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd400/)

MDA
10-01-2006, 18:44:01
Canon EOS rebel is what by brother-in-law got for Christmas and he loves it - pricey, IIRC

Still using my 35mm Minolta 3xi. Old school.

Venom
10-01-2006, 19:15:06
Originally posted by Aredhran
I recently bought a Canon Ixus 50 for my wife, it's absolutely great. Very small size (about the same as a pack of cigarettes), makes it very convenient, you can always have it in your pocket. It has a pretty good quality CCD (5 megapix), and some nice features and modes.

Re: digital zoom... it's really bad because the cameras usually use a crappy algorithm to interpolate (generate) pixels to make it the picture bigger. As Funko said, it's much better to stick with optical zoom and crop afterwards.

If you want a good site with in-depth technical reviews of cameras (although they don't do every single model), I recommend http://www.dpreview.com

Full review on the Ixus 50 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd400/)

Your wife???? You're married?

MattHiggs
10-01-2006, 19:41:07
:lol:

HelloKitty
10-01-2006, 23:14:07
Originally posted by Venom
Your wife???? You're married?

Yeah that girl in his avatar he is giving the high hard one to all the time.

HelloKitty
10-01-2006, 23:17:00
Originally posted by Resource Consumer
That's more or less what I discovered by experience. Well, it seems that prices are coming down pretty fast and I already have a 3Mpix so, if I am upgrading I want to upgrae significantly. I suppose I am probably thinking of a digital SLR here.....

If you want an SLR that is worth getting you are talking several thousand dollars.

If you want a Point and Shoot the one I recommended is imo the best for under 500.

How much do you want to spend and what are you planning on using it for?

Remember, if you want to take shots of anything that may move, sports, kids, animals, etc you need to make sure you get one with a very low latency. That is very hard to come by for a decent price. With constant focus and speed shot on the f10 has a barely noticable delay.

My mother has a sureshot and the delay sucks.