PDA

View Full Version : The sins of producers

C.G.B. Spender
22-11-2001, 22:33:05
No.1: The pitch corrector

Noisy
22-11-2001, 23:11:13
I hope you're not talking about The Producers, because they can do no wrong. I'm off to see them for possibly the last time at Aldershot on Saturday (although I may make a special trip home to see them on Dec 19th). A sad time for all Brit blues fans. :(

Resource Consumer
22-11-2001, 23:17:59
From the crap singers point of view, the pitch corrector is a great idea.

If only they could create something that made me not sound like a whiny git when singing - that would be fantastic.

PosterBoy
23-11-2001, 09:47:09
RC have you tried a distortion pedal? :D

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 10:05:43
The Ibanez Twat Screamer

Funkodrom
23-11-2001, 10:40:50
Get a really throaty grungy pedal, probably sound good. Either that or chainsmoke 40 Rothmans, drink a bottle of vodka, pass out and record in the morning.

C@H
23-11-2001, 14:08:50
Is there any pitch corrector available as a normal, payable pc-software?

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 14:14:58
IIRC there is a plug in available, I think it's 800 DM

C@H
23-11-2001, 14:20:40
800 for a plug in? ouch. to plug in in what? :confused:

I've payed 400 for my last MEdiastudio update :(

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 14:22:22
"Professional" plug ins are very expensive.

C@H
23-11-2001, 14:28:56
so, 4 which product is this plugin?

FunkyFingers
23-11-2001, 16:01:32
The over-use of pitch correctors is not necessarily the producers' fault. They want to produce a decent end product - it's the fault of record companies signing acts who blatantly can't sing.

One of the real sins of producers is compressing the hell out of all music just to make it sound "loud on the radio". That makes me mad.
The other great sin of all producers is that most of them are
a: Deaf
and
b: Monitor their recordings on crappy Yamaha speakers. No wonder things come out sounding shoiiiite on any decent system when they've been levelled up by a deaf twat listening ot a pair of sphincters for their audio source.

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 16:08:39
It's probably for Cubase.

I hate using the pitch corrector as effect. I can't stand it anymore. Al started with "Ahm blue dabadeedabadoo" and now it's even in the TV ads "Dee zweeeei, spaaaar▀ daaaaarbei". Ahrrrrrrrrrgh!

FunkyFingers
23-11-2001, 17:12:38
I think you'll find the pitch corrector first got (ab)used in the Stock Aitken and Waterman (S)hit Factory (s)hits of the 80s. Their procession of appalling singers all used an abundance of double tracking and pitch correction to try and get any sense of power in to their feeble voices.

Witness any song from that era by Kylie, Sonia, Cathy Dennis, Sam Fox, Rick Astley, Jason Donovan etc.

The effect that is really (ab)used in pop songs at the moment is the "Vocoder" sound - I blame Cher for that.
The Vocoder used to be an excellent, nay, cool sound effect - George Michael used it very well in his "coming out" song "Outside", but he used it subtly as a texture.

Now it's just whacked up as the main song line. Hopeless.

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 17:19:19
No, it's an extreme pitch corrector. It removes all the little "dirt" and - that's the typical effect, the voice jumps from one tone to another - at once. I heard that in a music store and it was so sad, cheap.
The vocoder simply mixes voice (or the formants) and synthesized instruments. You always hear the instrument part - and that's why I like the Vocoder better, because if the instrument is played with some feeling, it can really groove. And it sound's like a speaking, living machine or the voice of a demon. The extreme pitch corrector sounds like a castrated comic character ...

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 17:21:12
For some time I thought of buying a pitch corrector, but I think: If I can't sing I shouldn't sing. Better bad vocals than good hardware. It's not me.

FunkyFingers
23-11-2001, 17:28:47
Spender - that's incredibly honest of you, if only more people who think they're pop stars who think they can sing would think like you.
I raise my free beer to you for that :beer: :beer:

C.G.B. Spender
23-11-2001, 17:31:58
Oh well, I just hired a group off good looking, young vocalists and it worked well.
Boss Manly and the Wankers ...

FunkyFingers
03-12-2001, 22:51:15
Do you mean Hear'say?

No longer Trippin
03-12-2001, 23:16:31
You can generally tell when a pitch corrector is used, that's what makes it so horrible. I just put the tv on mute if britney spears comes on. :) Come to think of it, I haven't watched tv in months. Been working, or online, or out of town. Saw a few movies though, so I sorta recall the principal of a tv.

But you can't blame a producer, he wants to get hired again, and people who can't sing generally pay producers a lot, and they get more from royalties than from an act that doesn't really need one except for a few of the technicalities. But more and more bands, etc, are learning to do there own producing. So producers have to go for the "I can't sing but I have a pretty face demographic."

FunkyFingers
04-12-2001, 13:56:28
Atomic Kitten were classic the other day - on I think it was the Top of the Pops awards.
They were singing "Live" to a backing track which faded out at the end to leave the 3 of them "singing a capella". Within about 2 seconds, all three of them had gone out of tune.

If they were trying to prove that they could sing, they just managed to prove exactly the opposite.

I remember the Spice Girls doing exactly the same thing on tv about 3 years ago. Truely pathetic.

Death to the Pitch Corrector and all who use it to cover up their lack of singing talent.