PDA

View Full Version : Thread for corporate whores

King_Ghidra
06-01-2006, 11:45:28
I have racked up 5 years at my company as of this month.

It seems to have gone pretty quickly, which is kind of scary in itself...

Still last year my company added some new long-service rewards so as of this milestone i get two extra days annual holiday and a one-off 500 cash payout, so i'm rather pleased.

Funko
06-01-2006, 11:46:14
I'm here 8 years today. I get fuck all.

Tizzy
06-01-2006, 11:47:44
7 years in 12 days time.

I get to resign.

Rodgers
06-01-2006, 11:52:30
Coming up to 6 years. I'm looking for a new job though.

mr_G
06-01-2006, 11:52:33
10 years in 6 months, still hate my boss.

Funko
06-01-2006, 11:56:12
It's weird but because my company is so small those 8 years have seen us change our focus three times, so my role has changed a few times.

Ideally I should have moved a few years ago but I was depressed then. Oh well.

We're doing really well now and expanding though, I need to make sure I don't get people employed in positions above me but take them for myself, or quit and get a new job. At the moment it's exciting here though.

Gary
06-01-2006, 12:08:04
The company I work for add days to the leave the longer you're here. Don't most larger companies ?

They also offer small gifts one can choose from a list. I've qualified for 2 of these gifts so far, both times the list was so uninteresting I didn't bother claiming.

Drekkus
06-01-2006, 12:18:12
I'm here 6 years next month. Started as junior, am senior now. I've more than doubled my salary, but that also means I halved my CG posting time.

Rodgers
06-01-2006, 12:19:15
I have too much posting/surfing time. Thats why I want a new job.

Drekkus
06-01-2006, 12:21:23
I've seen a nice opportunity, about the same job description with more pay. But I think I won't be able to have the freedom (to post) as I have now. :lol:

Tizzy
06-01-2006, 12:21:28
In those 7 years I have changed jobs twice (well technically 4 times) which is probably why I've stayed so long, each time I've had enough of the job after a couple of years.
This time I like the work but I've got so ground down by the company that I just can't stay any longer.

Rodgers
06-01-2006, 12:26:54
I wouldnt say I've been ground down - I have more surfing/thumb-twiddling time now than ever before. I think it's more a case of holding this place in contempt.

MattHiggs
06-01-2006, 12:27:30
I've worked here a total of 6 months and no loyalty bonus for me yet. :D

My dad has worked at Manchester University/Hope Hospital, in clinical research, for nearly 40 years!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-01-2006, 12:33:01
Not a corporation, but next month I've been working 9 years at this university.

Guess it's time for a change. Also, this looks like a dead-end street careerwise.

Tizzy
06-01-2006, 12:42:58
I don't like the way things are heading in here either, or the way our department is "run", and I won't get started again on annoying newbie.
I have no enthusiam or motivation for this place any more, I'm always late cos I just don't care enough to get up in time and I almost always go home in a bad mood.
I'm leaving in March.

mr_G
06-01-2006, 12:45:40
:bounce: that's good and succes

King_Ghidra
06-01-2006, 13:18:42
in 5 years i have gone up about 10k in salary, been promoted twice, have gained minions etc so i have nothing to complain about

i do have to post less and can't get away with mid-week drinking any more either

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-01-2006, 17:35:38
Been working for the same "company" for 12 years, but in that time I've done about 12 different jobs- everything from bereavement counselling to sales management.

self biased
06-01-2006, 18:01:34
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
bereavement counselling

pull the other one.

Venom
06-01-2006, 18:06:03
Been here 1 and a half years and nearly desperately looking for a new job.

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-01-2006, 19:16:04
Originally posted by self biased
pull the other one.

That would be deeply unethical. Anyway, they're usually too upset to want sex from strangers.

Japher
06-01-2006, 19:24:49
5 years in my max
that's how long I was at my last job

I was rather surprised that it took them 5 years to realize how much time I spent on the internet... I resigned before the fired me though.

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-01-2006, 19:26:29
That's why I never post from work. Anyway, I'm too busy.

Japher
06-01-2006, 19:27:33
I work a lot... I also post a lot

besides, I was kidding, they never caught me. They just thought I was working more because I typed so much.

the last job I actually got promoted at! Twice!

HelloKitty
06-01-2006, 19:50:19
5 years with the Uni. Post doc, then post doc/teaching, now teaching/course coordinating.

I get shitloads of vacation. Couple weeks Dec-early Jan. Couple weeks the beginning and end of summer. Spring and fall break. Basicly any time the students aren't here I can do whatever I want.

When doing research you have to be there a million hours a week. Blah.

mr_G
07-01-2006, 08:50:26
a million :eek:

Kitsuki
07-01-2006, 08:57:51
I know it seems like such a short time to you guys, but it struck me over Christmas that I have been in full time employment for over 6 months now. Up till now it just felt like some summer job and term at uni would start back up again, but actually thats all gone. :(

Damn I should have done an MA...

BigGameHunter
07-01-2006, 20:33:55
4 months at current retailer. (Just started as Product Process Manager and discovered on 1st day in job that the store is missing 30K+ in lost or stolen goods. I will soon have a new supervisor and possibly General Manager due to this. Ugh. 20% improvement over last pay though, not counting bonuses. No time off to speak of aside from standard 2 weeks per year, which trends upward over time.
)
1 year at former. (Abusive twat.Long hours, low pay.)

1 year at previous. (Managed a body shop...great people, lousy pay, no benefits.)

Less than one year at prior. (Selling cars...big mistake. Commission only.)

2 years before that. (Giant French chemical company. Great pay, greater benefits, boring as hell. Enron killed it, but, in hindsight, best job I wish I still had.)

Sense a pattern?
I suck ass at working for a living. I still buy lottery tickets.

JM^3
07-01-2006, 21:09:01
I worked a bit as a teenager doing papers or lawns

when I was 16 I worked for a month in a cannery, I think I did 5 jobs in one day there (being colorblind made things even worse), I Still can't remember everything from that time (it was a nightmare..)

first summer after highschool graduation I did nothing

all 4 years of undergrad I did grounds, my first year I also babysitted the computer labs, the 2-4th years I TAed (for physics) and the 4th year I did some security work (babysitted the buildings)

after my first year of college, I worked as a dishwasher for a little over a month (the summer once I realised I couldn't find a better job), I was shitty at this also and while it was better then the Cannery, it wasn't much better

2nd summer, I worked for the forestry service updating their old fortran programs (written on punchcards).. IT hink they wanted something different then what I was offering (and what I did)...

3rd summer I had an REU, worked on some modeling of 2d quantum wires

after undergrad, I did nothing for a summer

in grad school, I TAed for 2 full years( including summers), then TAed for fall and spring, but didn't gt one (or apply) for the summer (I was sure I would get some RA support, which I didn't)

last fall, and this spring I have an RA

JM

alsieboo
08-01-2006, 17:57:29
I've only been working for about 5 months, the job is a bit sucky, the hours are shitty, the pay's alright, but it's just boring at times. Found another job, it's doing almost exactly the same thing, but full time hours. Only about 3k more, is it worth it for a social life?

MoSe
09-01-2006, 12:56:05
Originally posted by Drekkus
I'm here 6 years next month. Started as junior, am senior now. I've more than doubled my salary...
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
in 5 years i have gone up about 10k in salary, been promoted twice, have gained minions etc so i have nothing to complain about[/B]

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I know I've no ambitions, but even if I had I could have done little to improve the provisions of the national contractual frame my company abides by...

In march it will be 5 years I'm in this company. Actually, in 2002 there's been a ~merger~, meaning my initial company had been gobbled by my current one, which I think has reset the automatic upgrades counter....

I had no promotions. Actually, according to the job description template provided in the contract, I got in at a higher level and should be demoted...

We have right to only 1 upgrade regarding days leave: we got +1 day after 10 years :rolleyes:

We have right to a fixed periodic increase in salary realated to your employee level.
At my level this boils down to ~2% each other year (roughly 1% yearly)
Being optimistic, I might have gone up 5% in 5 years.
That's ludicrous compared to the figures quoted above.

Of course, we can negotiate with our bosses individual extra increases as incentive for goals and achievements. But at the moment of the merger it turned out that in my former company the retributions were beefed up on average wrt to the new colleagues... plus, they company had to drastically cut expenses and budget cos we got sold last year, so even those who had been specifically promised something have seen their upgrades frozen (and yet to thaw), leave alone myself who never asked for anything.

I was already contented to get when I got employed in 2001 70% more than what I earned when I was free-lance and blatantly underpaid (or probably I should say robbed) :o

I have changed jobs 2.5 times. That is, I got a new position in the same group after the merger, then the put me back to what I did before (as the new guys were ineffective...).
Then I totally changed activity last may.
I'm not thinking to change, as the new job is interesting. But mainly, because I think that at the moment moving elsewhere would mean moving down.

Here, I know I shouldnt' have opened this thread.
:mad:

MDA
09-01-2006, 14:09:55
next may I hit 3 years in government service and my vacation time will build up at a higher rate - I'll go from 13 days vacation to 19 1/2 per year, plus all federal holidays. I can also build up to 3 days of credit time by working longer hours, and have work-at-home privileges 2 days a week...

So much better than grad school/research I could cry, although I do miss the teaching a little.

They also pay me almost as much as my old graduate research advisor, and he has to work ridiculous hours/week. Nyah! :)

DevilsH@lo
09-01-2006, 15:10:20
15 years had bonus's at 4.5 and 7.5 years 2k each, leaving in 7 months 18K payout. Not too shabby really.

Japher
09-01-2006, 15:21:38
does that mean you'll be posting more?

DevilsH@lo
09-01-2006, 15:27:01
Nope i'll be mostly job hunting :D

Japher
09-01-2006, 15:31:16
oh... are you being made to quit or something?

Oerdin
09-01-2006, 15:31:44
I'm aproaching the three month mark. Spent 9 year in the service though.

DevilsH@lo
09-01-2006, 22:44:32
Nope not made to quit, contract expires and i have chosen not to sign on for another 7 years. Mostly cos i am sick of the bullshit.

MoSe
10-01-2006, 08:20:52
You're doing a Cassano!