PDA

View Full Version : Nizlopi

The Norks
07-12-2005, 15:40:13
I've been hearing the JCB song on the radio a lot which is just a gorgeous track- really touching and fun too. I love the singer's voice. They seem to have something (loosely) in common with The Streets, sharing a kind of 'narrative' lyrical/topical style but not musical style which is more indie- folky and acoustic.

Just thought I'd post a link to their website and see what anyone else thought of them. There's links to the JCB song and the vid on their 'links' page.

Duh- forgot the link! www.nizlopi.com

Funko
07-12-2005, 15:41:19
Yeah, really like it. I got the album last week.

Funko
07-12-2005, 15:44:22
I think we had a thread a while ago about the JCB video but that might have been on the Rebus forum/Berkshire Live.

It is really good though, I really like it.

You forgot the link...

Video:

http://jcbsong.co.uk/

The video maker also did a video for Radiohead which is cool.

http://www.monkeehub.com/

Here's the radiohead video:

http://www.lowmorale.co.uk/creep/

MattHiggs
07-12-2005, 15:57:28
Great song, heard it on Radio 1 a few weeks ago.

King_Ghidra
07-12-2005, 16:27:21
argh i'm being the grumpy bastard today, i detest it, it makes me sick

what a cloying load of crap, it's grandad we love you wrapped in 2005's clothes

Funko
07-12-2005, 16:54:48
Yeah... you aren't the first person I've seen express that kind of view. And I certainly appreciate where you are coming from. It is quite unsubtle in the strings it pulls.

I also think there's a definite danger of overplay annoyance even though I like it.

And I'm not sure it's good for a small/unknown band to get a Christmas number 1 like this. Their album's pretty good (wouldn't buy it for K_G though...) and whilst they'll make some money now it's inching them very close to the edge of the one hit wonder cliff.

But at the moment, I think the song and the video are great.

MattHiggs
07-12-2005, 18:11:05
Every song is the same for me. I'll love it for a few weeks - then it gets overplayed (or I play it too many times) it gets boring. Then I'll rediscover it after a few months. :D

I really do love the video though and I like the feeling of the song too.

The Norks
07-12-2005, 18:11:19
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
argh i'm being the grumpy bastard today, i detest it, it makes me sick

Come on, you know its better than that. It doesn't stray into sentimentality of that kind, although it certainly plays on childhood memories. I think it pulls that off with some panache though, its lyrics aren't cliched or predicatable, its got a lot of honesty about it.

I can see the potential for overplay annoyance though, although at the moment I'm loving it.

Tizzy
07-12-2005, 21:03:45
Lyrically I can see why the sentimentality appeals to people.
Musically it's slighty catchy and some of the melody did stick in my head for a bit afterwards.
But I didn't like it, I found it bland and a bit too obvious.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-12-2005, 09:58:46
Hm. The song and the other ones on the website are pleasant enough, but I'm getting slight White Album vibes, they seem to take their influences very literally and very lightly.

Provost Harrison
17-01-2006, 22:17:04
I found the song very irritating, very quickly. Perhaps that's just me being a miserable old git :p

novacane
18-01-2006, 10:25:08
Originally posted by King_Ghidra

Ditto. Awful. The success of novelty songs continues to baffle me. I can't think of an occassion when I would choose to listen to this song.

Funko. Does the rest of the album follow a similar theme?

Funko
18-01-2006, 10:40:35
I was surprised it got so successful. When I first heard it it was a song from a small cult band that had a cool web video.

The album's fairly varied but the singer's voice is pretty distinctive so that ties them together.

I don't imagine you guys'd like it though after comments on the single here.