PDA

View Full Version : So, what was wrong with the Red Cross

novacane
05-12-2005, 11:30:23
Red Cross mulls 'neutral' symbol (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4497840.stm)

What am I missing? Why is this being deliberated over to such a ridiculous extent? This is the International Red Cross.

These childish squabbles and oneupmanship in the Middle East are so tiresome.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 11:36:20
no it is not.

novacane
05-12-2005, 11:42:18
Explain.

I don't understand the offence caused by the red cross.

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:47:17
Because it's a christian cross. In muslim areas they already use a muslim crescent but I guess they are thinking they could have just one symbol that is religion independent?

Makes sense I think?

mr.G
05-12-2005, 11:56:16
yup

using that cross is like punching the women in the left titty, in some countries very polite but in other countries that is an act of rudeness. i know it's schtjoepit but it is.

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:57:38
I suggest a picture of a human hand with an upraised middle finger to indicate beckoning someone over for help.

Who'd that offend?

novacane
05-12-2005, 11:58:52
Fair enough. I was under the impression that the red cross was simply a reversal of the Swiss Flag.

I just think it typical that the third emblem being suggested has met disapproval from countries believing it to be an accommodation of Israel.

This quote said it all for me

"We're actually trying to get a solution for the Red Cross, but some seem to want us to try to solve the entire Middle East conflict."

I guess this is just an indication of how difficult it is to bring people together, however good the cause may be. I completely understand the frustrations.

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:59:18
Yes.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:04:50
jesjes

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:09:04
It also gives further weight to the argument that religion is a force for division rather than unity. IMO, its a relic of a long-gone era which is of less relevance all the time.

Imagine a world without religion. I think it would be a great place.

Funko
05-12-2005, 12:11:22
I wish people would actually follow their religions rather than fighting over them.

All that Christian love and forgiveness would be great if people did that rather than going for the fire and brimstone retribution shit.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:12:03
Originally posted by novacane
It also gives further weight to the argument that religion is a force for division rather than unity. IMO, its a relic of a long-gone era which is of less relevance all the time.

Imagine a world without religion. I think it would be a great place.
fok it, that's a childish thought.
a world without religion is a world without hope.

Scabrous Birdseed
05-12-2005, 12:12:09
The red cross IS the reverse of the swiss flag. The red crecent thing dates back to like 1913 or something when some dude thought muslims would be offended by the cross, thus creating a religious symbolry where there was none.

Funko
05-12-2005, 12:13:30
:lol:

Brilliant.

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:14:08
Thats a more balanced view :p

But, my way would also work. I think.

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:15:44
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
The red cross IS the reverse of the swiss flag. The red crecent thing dates back to like 1913 or something when some dude thought muslims would be offended by the cross, thus creating a religious symbolry where there was none.

How can we ever thank him? (Or her) :rolleyes:

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:22:32
Originally posted by mr.G
fok it, that's a childish thought.
a world without religion is a world without hope.

I disagree. Hope exists regardless of religion. Hope born from religion is a more rigid, structured type of hope which makes belief common and therefore more acceptable. Anyone can believe whatever they like. Rightly or wrongly, I see religion as a misplaced dependence. A source of reason for situations or events which would happen regardless of religion.

I was being a little tongue in cheek but a world without religion would be a very different place and IMO, a better one. It won't happen in my lifetime but religion is slowing dying.

I apologise to anbody who find my views offensive. I'm just saying what I think.

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:24:31
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed

Why do you think the Swiss flag has a cross on it, dude?

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:25:44
i find your view not only offensive but arrogant and naive also.

deserves a big
dooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
di

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:26:16
:lol: at X-post (I hope)

:nervous:

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:27:27
:lol:

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:28:04
http://www.eda.admin.ch/washington_emb/e/home/geninf/flag.html

Among the flags of contemporary European countries, that of Switzerland is one of the most ancient and one of the most modern. It has a white cross in a red field; the cross is the same length on all sides and each arm is one-sixth longer than its width. The flag looks back upon 700 years of history. To trace the origin, one must go back to beginning of the Confederation. By the early Middle Ages the cross was commonly used on coins and seals and, as a symbol of the Christian faith, it was carried into battle on the banners of the various warring parties.

Documents and records show that the white cross, which appeared on the banner of Schwyz (one of the first Cantons which gave its name to Switzerland) in the year 1240, had been bestowed upon the Canton by the Emperor Frederick II as a token of its freedom. And from that time onwards, the citizens of the Confederation used a white cross, made of long strips of linen, as their common sign in battle to distinguish themselves from their enemies. Every man in the army either wore it on his tunic or on his armor. Although each Canton had its own flag in battle, every Swiss carried the white cross as his battle standard.

As the national flag, the white cross first appeared on a red background on the Confederation's seal in 1814. It has been officially in use since 1848, when Switzerland was transformed from a loose federation of different Cantons into the present Confederation with a central government. Its acceptance as the national flag is mainly due to the initiative of General Dufour.

The use of the red cross on a white background, which is actually the Swiss flag reversed, was granted to the International Red Cross to commemorate the organization founded by Henri Dunant, citizen of Geneva. Indeed, the plenipotentiaries of 35 nations, assembled in Geneva on July 6, 1906 to revise the "Geneva Convention," stated as follows in the enacting clause concerning the symbol of the International Red Cross: "To do homage to Switzerland, the heraldic arms of the Red Cross on a white field, which is formed by reversal of the Swiss Federal arms, shall be maintained as a distinctive emblem of the medical services of most armies.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:31:13
:rolleyes: HEY DARKSTAR IS BACK

w00000000000000000t!!!!!!!!!!

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:31:29
i find your view not only offensive but arrogant and naive also.

deserves a big
di

OK. I'm just a young man tired of conflict and frustrated that a solution cannot and will not ever be found.

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:39:33
:rolleyes: HEY DARKSTAR IS BACK

w00000000000000000t!!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to read it.

doooooooo
di
doooooooo

Just shows that Swiss cross is a Christian symbol, ultimately.

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:40:07
The Red Cross symbol seems more due to the fact that the organisation was founded in Switzerland. How unfortunate that their national flag should contain a cross. The most offensive of all the shapes.

My point is that the shape of the logo is the least important aspect of this debate.

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:45:02
I don't give a damn any more than you do about the shape. I'm an atheist, but if a guy wearing a uniform with a red Krishna on it wants to save my life then he's more than welcome to do so. But the obvious solution to people being whiny assholes about this whole thing is to replace what were ultimately Christian and Muslim symbols by a single religion-neutral symbol that's easily recognisable by all parties.

I don't see the problem here.

Funko
05-12-2005, 12:45:14
Just as the shape of the lego is the most important aspect of any building project.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:48:26
hahaha he said lego istead of logo
the most funniest thing of today, what a day.

Funko
05-12-2005, 12:49:00
That was deliberate. I bet you have some cool lego, being an architect and all.

mr.G
05-12-2005, 12:51:40
yaaaaaaaaaaaaay lego rocks!!!!!!!

deliberate my assssssssssssssssss

FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO
FUNKO MADE A TYPO

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:52:24
Originally posted by KrazyHorse@home
I don't give a damn any more than you do about the shape. I'm an atheist, but if a guy wearing a uniform with a red Krishna on it wants to save my life then he's more than welcome to do so. But the obvious solution to people being whiny assholes about this whole thing is to replace what were ultimately Christian and Muslim symbols by a single religion-neutral symbol that's easily recognisable by all parties.

I don't see the problem here.

Agreed, the main reason this issue provoked a reaction from me was because of some nations disapproving of the 'neutral' Red Crystal/ Diamond shaped emblen because they believed it was conceived purely to accommodate Israel. I can't comprehend that stupidity.

KrazyHorse@home
05-12-2005, 12:57:43
It actually is there to accomodate Israel (who's been shut out because they've been using a Red Star of David, which isn't recognised).

But I don't see a problem with doing so, and yes, it's pretty idiotic that some people are working themselves up into a frenzy over making a reasonable compromise.

novacane
05-12-2005, 12:59:22
Well yeah, but it was less about accommodating Israel and more about bringing everybody together. Israel too. God forbid.

King_Ghidra
05-12-2005, 13:07:50
can i still hit people who annoy me

mr.G
05-12-2005, 13:10:08
jesjes if they wear a cross you can kick them between the big toes, if they wear a moon you can hit them between the eyes

novacane
05-12-2005, 13:13:25
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
can i still hit people who annoy me

Who's annoyed you this time?

King_Ghidra
05-12-2005, 13:14:27
no-one today, i just want to make sure it's ok for when it happens

Funko
05-12-2005, 13:14:58
I am not annoyed.

novacane
05-12-2005, 13:20:30
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
no-one today, i just want to make sure it's ok for when it happens

My advice would be to try to discuss any issues first (no shouting, swearing or finger pointing) and then, if no resolution can be reached, then hitting could be an option. However, if you have your friends around you, forget about the person annoying you and have a good time with them instead. ;)

King_Ghidra
05-12-2005, 14:27:11
:D

novacane
05-12-2005, 14:37:12
So much prettier than :mad:

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:38:39
I suggest a red swastika... gives back a feel good feeling to the tarnished emblem

novacane
05-12-2005, 14:42:18
:lol: Yeah, such a waste

mr.G
05-12-2005, 14:43:03
yaaay i love those sympathetic swastikas, well it's just a rhune sign isn't it

novacane
05-12-2005, 14:47:34
How bout this. I like this.

http://www.millin.de/downloads/3-935922-52-3/src/japan.gif

Nills Lagerbaak
05-12-2005, 14:48:08
Originally posted by Funko
I am not annoyed.

Never get annoyed. Get personal.

Japher
05-12-2005, 14:49:29
How 'bout RedWings?

mr.G
05-12-2005, 14:59:30
how about a red oriole?

Funko
05-12-2005, 15:10:55
I think people might be upset about the red cross because it means their image didn't load?

novacane
05-12-2005, 15:12:45
Did my image not load?

mr.G
05-12-2005, 15:19:26
Originally posted by Funko
I think people might be upset about the red cross because it means their image didn't load? :lol:

Aredhran
05-12-2005, 16:50:57
Just a bit of history on the Swiss flag (sorry I just have to do this). Just read the bold text for the short version.

Among the flags of contemporary European countries, that of Switzerland is one of the most ancient and one of the most modern. It has a white cross in a red field; the cross is the same length on all sides and each arm is one-sixth longer than its width. The flag looks back upon 700 years of history. To trace the origin, one must go back to beginning of the Confederation. By the early Middle Ages the cross was commonly used on coins and seals and, as a symbol of the Christian faith, it was carried into battle on the banners of the various warring parties.

Documents and records show that the white cross, which appeared on the banner of Schwyz (one of the first Cantons which gave its name to Switzerland) in the year 1240, had been bestowed upon the Canton by the Emperor Frederick II as a token of its freedom. And from that time onwards, the citizens of the Confederation used a white cross, made of long strips of linen, as their common sign in battle to distinguish themselves from their enemies. Every man in the army either wore it on his tunic or on his armor. Although each Canton had its own flag in battle, every Swiss carried the white cross as his battle standard.

As the national flag, the white cross first appeared on a red background on the Confederation's seal in 1814. It has been officially in use since 1848, when Switzerland was transformed from a loose federation of different Cantons into the present Confederation with a central government. Its acceptance as the national flag is mainly due to the initiative of General Dufour.

The use of the red cross on a white background, which is actually the Swiss flag reversed, was granted to the International Red Cross to commemorate the organization founded by Henri Dunant, citizen of Geneva. Indeed, the plenipotentiaries of 35 nations, assembled in Geneva on July 6, 1906 to revise the "Geneva Convention," stated as follows in the enacting clause concerning the symbol of the International Red Cross: "To do homage to Switzerland, the heraldic arms of the Red Cross on a white field, which is formed by reversal of the Swiss Federal arms, shall be maintained as a distinctive emblem of the medical services of most armies.

Even more details on http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch.html

Dyl Ulenspiegel
05-12-2005, 18:36:40
Typical echo swiss.