PDA

View Full Version : Rise of Legends : The Bug Master Speaks

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 10:48:18
Forgive me for sounding a little negative but I think play balancing could be a real problem here

http://www.bighugegames.com/riseoflegends/brianqa.html

Rise of Legends! What's up with that?

So. you may have noticed we didn't do a history game this time! RoN: Rise of Legends is in so many ways the spiritual successor to Rise of Nations, but the long and the short of it is we got excited about doing a fantasy game. Now clearly your traditional "orcs, elves, dwarves" sort of fantasy has been-shall we say-thoroughly covered in other games, and so the story which got us excited is one where the magic of fantasy meets a world of technology. So magic and technology collide, with cataclysmic results! As you take a peek at our first two unique nations you can begin to see the contrast: the industrial Vinci with their Leonardo da Vinci inspired machines and steampunk cities; and the desert Alim with their Arabian Nights theme-sandstorms, genies, and tall glass spires. "Cataclysmic" is also a useful word to describe what we want to do visually-we've redesigned our graphics engine from the ground up because we want to make a game that gets our players as excited about our graphics as they have always been about our gameplay. The gameplay themes which players loved in RoN will be back in expanded form for RoN: Rise of Legends-national borders, cities, color-coded tech tracks, massive armies, and of course the open-ended strategic decisions of our "Conquer the World" engine. There will also be many new gameplay features that weren't seen in Rise of Nations. So come take a look at what we've been up to, and keep checking back as we reveal additional details about where we want to take real time strategy gaming next!

So we've got the Alim and the Vinci-what other unique nations will you have?

Ah, well for example we have the adv. HEY! You know I can't talk about them yet! What's wrong with you people, anyway? What I can tell you is there will be another technology nation and another magic nation, and that they will all be as different from one another as the Vinci are from the Alim. There are strong gameplay differences between the nations which go well beyond the differences in appearance.

So, did you name your main hero Giacomo before or after that horse won the Kentucky Derby?

Long before, and fortunately we leaked it to reporters in time to establish that! :) In fact, when at the last minute we heard there was a long-shot horse by that name in the race, some of our programmers decided to "throw their money away" by placing bets out of sheer moral support and because of the utter coolness of the name. Heh heh, next party's on the programmers. And of course it never hurts that now people will be more familiar with the correct pronunciation (JOCK-uh-moe) of this awesome appellation!

So is this Rise of Nations 2?

No - to me that would imply doing a history game. This is a new direction for the franchise that could easily become its own series. We find tons of inspiration in this new fantasy world, much like we do in history and the real world. We plan to keep making innovative games that inspire us, so you'll have to stay tuned to see what we come up with next!

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 10:49:35
But the graphics look rather cool

http://www.bighugegames.com/riseoflegends/popup_screen_1.html

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:00:28
It does look really, really cool.

Why do you think play balancing will be a problem? It could be but I think that two (or more) vastly different races can be just as hard to balance as two very similar ones with slight differences...

I didn't play Rise of Nations, what did people think of that?

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 11:18:58
I never played it - it seemed a bit too samey to other RTS games so I gave it a miss.

I just think that the more heterogenous you make the civilisations then the harder it is. Think back to SMAC and the problems there were with balancing that......

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:25:19
RTS balance is a totally different thing to turn based balancing.

I thought the different races in SMAC were pretty similar really?

Starcraft (I never played it) is arguably the best balanced RTS and that had totally different 'races' with totally different units.

Also they can look very different but maybe a flying plane unit is actually exactly the same in terms of armour, weapon effect, rate of fire etc. as a dragon?

Basically, I don't think that makes it any harder but balance is always very tough.

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 11:28:55
Fair point about the plane etc. I guess that is exactly how they'll approach it except that dragons aren't fitted with parachutes.

I suppose the balancing issues are different but considering the man's record we should not be too optimistic in our assumptions.:)

Funko
05-12-2005, 11:48:55
From what I have read RoN was very well received.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/riseofnations/readers.html

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 12:22:57
Fair enough. As I understand it though (and I could be wrong) there was no need for such balancing in that game.

I have to say, though, that the Bug Master shows a bit more imagination than his mentor. At least he tries to do something different rather than trotting out the same franchise over and over again.

Although, Sim Golf anyone?

Funko
05-12-2005, 12:28:52
Possibly. I don't know anything about it but even if all the factions have exactly the same units and no bonuses you still have to balance the units so that one doesn't dominate. The tank rush scenario etc.

JM^3
05-12-2005, 17:22:05
it is very hard to ballance a game with very different sides

Starcraft did it, which is why it is arguably the best RTS

JM

Funko
05-12-2005, 17:23:41
Funnily enough, I've read about 20 threads about balancing in Dawn of War (which I'm getting for Christmas with the expansion).

am quite looking forward to it.

HelloKitty
05-12-2005, 23:12:46
Dawn of war is amazingly well done. I want the expansion but am poor so am waiting for a good chance to steal it.

Rise of Nations was a good game. it needed more variety in maps though, all those games need some sort of random map gen.

JM^3
05-12-2005, 23:53:25
I was actually interested in it...but none of my freinds were (and I mostly play RTS MP)

JM

Funko
06-12-2005, 09:08:50
Originally posted by HelloKitty
Dawn of war is amazingly well done.

Yeah, and it seems Relic are pretty responsive as well although their forums are full of the usual kinds of arguments you get on any RTS forum, for some people every patch 'breaks' the game totally etc.

maroule
06-12-2005, 09:38:58
I don't like RTS so I won't be getting Rise of legend, but the underlying idea of a clash between science and magic is great. Arcanium (RPG) played on that brilliantly, and it's a very rich vein to explore (there is a great little novel by Jack Vance on that as well).

Shining1
07-12-2005, 14:59:04
If you take starcraft and make the zerg and protoss units 'magic' instead of 'psionic', you get that exact proposal.

Remember all those Firaxis interviews where they just talked about playing Starcraft all day while working on SMAC? Voila!

At least they might actually get to be working on the game they actually want to be working on (Starcraft2, or as close as they'll ever get) this time. That might help.

HelloKitty
07-12-2005, 16:08:18
Well all this talk of DOW made me torrent it again. I will be playing Winter assault tonight (in 8 hours 53 minutes estimated).