PDA

View Full Version : DIY hell...

BigGameHunter
05-12-2005, 10:12:38
Mrs. BGH and I are trying to do some basic remodelling around the old cave...simple stuff, painting some rooms (bland white and god knows why a "salmon pink" fireplace/brickwork).
The 12' slanted, popcorn ceiling was challenging, but not disaterous...however.

We are also getting some Pergo (faux) wood floors installed in all but the back of the house, as well as new flooring in the kitchen.
Somehow this precipitated me having to take the dishwasher away from the wall, as there is a crack between it and the cabinetry and various pests (do you know that wives don't actually like slugs or mice in the house??) have come in, leading me to believe there is some hole or something in the floor or wall back there.
Easy enough, eh?

I did what you're supposed to do: turned off breaker labelled "dishwasher", turned off water leading into washer, etc.
I must not have looked closely at the water line, because I unhooked the line and gallons of scalding hot water began to spray all over me and the kitchen floor. I calmly (screamed) requested that Mrs. Bgh turn off the water into the house from the hot water heater and got out the shop vac to suck up the pond in the kitchen.
I then had to unhook the wires giving power to the unit. I didn't check to see if it was powered by any means other than chance, namely, producing a huge spark and puff of black smoke when some unhooked wires touched. That shouldn't have happened. In a near death panic and rage I flipped off the entire kitchen's power and ordered the family to my mother's house due to the huge and growing disaster that was our kitchen. I then proceeded to pull out the washer and get spray foam all over my hands, which has the consistency of super glue.
Several hours later I returned from work, only to realize that when a refrigerator is deprived of power it defrosts, leaving pond #2 on the floor and soaking the adjacent carpet and warping the sub floor.
Hopefully there is not significant damage...ugh...what a pain.

Laz...any advice?

Resource Consumer
05-12-2005, 10:14:17
move?

MOBIUS
05-12-2005, 10:19:19
You know you're in DIY hell when you have to ask Laz for help!

Kitsuki
05-12-2005, 10:20:36
Salmon pink.... Tasteful!

mr.G
05-12-2005, 10:22:05
advice: Blame bosman!!

Dyl Ulenspiegel
05-12-2005, 10:28:35
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:61993j0415:EN:HTML

MOBIUS
05-12-2005, 10:38:42
Run away! Run away! Run away!

Lurker the Second
05-12-2005, 15:31:04
Damn, BGH, that sounds suspiciously like something I'd do. Or maybe did -- it's all mostly a big blur these days.

Japher
05-12-2005, 15:39:52
advice?

why? seems to be going how it should

The Norks
05-12-2005, 19:04:20
we need a Laz signal- like the Bat signal only more accident prone.

Japher
05-12-2005, 19:05:14
Like a giant JM!

mr.G
05-12-2005, 19:08:39
Originally posted by The Norks
we need a Laz signal- like the Bat signal only more accident prone. isn't that what we call thunder?

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2005, 08:47:18
Originally posted by BigGameHunter

Laz...any advice?

The force is strong in this one.

One thing I've learned from a string of disasters is that if you're doing anything with water, turn your supply off at the mains and drain your system first. You could get away with just isolating the appliance in question, but if you screw up, you'll be paddling. Trust me- I've been there.

If I'm doing anything with water near appliances, I turn the relevant circuit off using the trip switches first.

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2005, 08:48:35
Originally posted by The Norks
we need a Laz signal- like the Bat signal only more accident prone.

It would be a loud bang, a puff of smoke, and a distant cry of "Bollocks!".

mr.G
06-12-2005, 09:05:01
isn't that what happens after your arrival?

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2005, 13:23:05
It shows I'm on the way.