Ha, aren't I the clever one!

Damn I miss playing that game. :(

JM^3
01-12-2005, 20:33:17
start a new one

JM

Venom
01-12-2005, 20:54:33
Damn I thought this was the annoucement that they were shutting it down. Manipulative little fuckers at SOE deserve it.

Lurker the Second
01-12-2005, 21:18:37
I used to check the official forums every day hoping for signs of a rollback or classic server, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen any time soon. Now I just check up every other day or so to see what fixes they've announced. I think they're still at least a month away from having a tolerably functioning game. And by "tolerably functioning" I mean the generous definition - kind-of-working-some-of-the-time-like-we-thought it-might-and-bug-free-for-five-minutes-if-you-count-bathroom-breaks

As for crafters, it's pretty much "check back with us in a few publishes".

I think I read that Lord of the Rings Online is going beta in February. While I'm not particularly enthused about it, it might be something to do. I'm getting tired of playing Civ II again.

JM^3
01-12-2005, 21:21:37
I will likely be playing MEO (did they rename it Lord of the Rings Online?)

JM

Lurker the Second
01-12-2005, 21:27:11
yeah, they apparently renamed it. I don't know shit about it except for what I picked up after looking at the website for about 10 minutes.

Venom
01-12-2005, 21:33:06
Describe it here so I can be lazy.

MattHiggs
01-12-2005, 21:41:01
If you guys ever start playing another game let me know as I quit WoW last week.

Venom
01-12-2005, 21:44:45
Why for you quit?

Lurker the Second
01-12-2005, 21:47:42
Originally posted by Venom
Describe it here so I can be lazy.

Too lazy to describe - click the fucking link (http://lotro.turbine.com/)

Venom
01-12-2005, 21:50:06
Fucking links.

JM^3
01-12-2005, 21:56:23
I quit WoW when I relaised I hadn't palyed in a month

JM

Lurker the Second
01-12-2005, 22:01:44
February beta might not be right. Didn't see that date on the official site, and we all know how inaccurate lists of anticipated release dates can be.

Venom
01-12-2005, 22:11:39
Other than the LoTR name I'm not entirely sold on that game. Sounds...iffy on some points.

Lurker the Second
01-12-2005, 22:28:25
I have this vision, certainly developed from watching the movies, of dark, powerful enemies in grand landscapes. I kind of like that and expect the quest storylines to be filled with potential.

I'd still rather fly in space and ride my speederbike all over the planet, though.

Bah, who cares, whatever happens is bound to disappoint.

Venom
01-12-2005, 22:48:13
A lot of that FAQ is "Not planned for launch" answers.

Lurker the Second
02-12-2005, 04:03:20
Ah, lol, this is so sad (from TODAY'S bugs):

Can we get a fix for all the dead folks on Endor who can't clone?

I never saw so many bitter people in my life.

Matt: stay tuned, I'd like to think we can figure out something else to do. Venom's actually a tolerable person to have around, plus he has some skillz. Ok, a skill, but hey that's more than I have. Jim['ael Toeg'mebers is a game player, too, and a good group member, but christalmighty he must play 59 games or more. And Hello Kitty is a fictititious person who died. ("fictititious", I like that).

Lurker the Second
02-12-2005, 04:18:23
this is pretty damn funny, particularly at the start:

It' a LINK dammit, I hope it works (http://www.webrilliance.com/r2ol/videos/TheHunt.wmv)

Venom
02-12-2005, 04:30:20
Wow those guys are retarded, but there was some funny shit in there.

Bitter is an understatement. People are furious. Thank god I was never dumb enough to subscribe for more than a month at a time. I'd have to kill myself if I was sitting on a year's subscription. This update has been like the plague. Just decimating server populations left and right.

Lurker the Second
02-12-2005, 05:23:48
The knockdowns had me in stitches.

I need to get a life.

HelloKitty
02-12-2005, 06:06:24
Well, if you want any recommendations for a new MMO to play just ask. I know venom hates the fantasy type settings so you are fairly limited.

SWG is fucked now.

Anarchy Online is free to play the base game (no expansions) with no cost even to download it, so you can try that. Its OK, a little outdated though and small population. I think they are turning a profit but not a huge one. Very detailed leveling system and its skill based advancement with classes.

Eve online is fun and has a good number of players. Company is doing very well last time I heard.

City of Heroes/City of Villians I think is a grand slam for Venom. No crafting though. Its a game you log on, pound some ass, goof off, pound some more ass, then change your tights. Great PVP .

Once I can afford to do things like buy gas and eat again (late jan) I will be playing EQ2, GW, and probably COH/COV. I have an active free AO account that I think I took up to lvl 45 or so, but haven't logged on in a month since I don't know anyone and never joined a guid etc.

ALthough my old EQ guild offered to buy me a 3 month sub card and the game for WoW if I came and played with them, so I may end up playing WOW later this month, I just don't see it holding my interest for long.

MattHiggs
02-12-2005, 09:44:42
AO was great. Wouldn't mind trying CoH/CoV as I've heard a lot of good reviews. It's more of a casual gamers games as you can group with people any level.

The reason I didn't like WoW in the end is I didn't have enough time. All the people I knew and I started out with were Rank 10+ level 60's.

Venom
02-12-2005, 13:04:35
It's not that I hate the fantasy genre per se, it just feels a little worn out.

Perhaps being a super villan would cure what ails me.

King_Ghidra
02-12-2005, 13:12:40
but in wow you get to kill gnomes and elves, there's a lot to be said for that

though i have been tempted by cov myself

JM^3
02-12-2005, 15:14:34
in CoV/CoH I am on Freedom (and Victory)

it is the current MMO I play most often

JM
(I have two level 16 characters, two level ~8 characters, and a couple more characters...)

HelloKitty
02-12-2005, 16:32:57
I have said before, the thing I don't like about wow is it has no real challenge, it is a monty haul game all the way and not enough content.

The CoH/CoV setup is nice, especially since you can play both for one sub fee or just play one if you don't want to buy both game boxes. The world feels different than most MMOs as well since it is truly 3D

I really wish I had gotten a chance to test out the lair/base system though.

MDA
05-12-2005, 12:38:00
My wife and I both really like WoW, but its our first MMO.

Lurker the Second
05-12-2005, 18:30:12
Rumors, rumors:

This is the latest news, and the thread everyone is talking about in forums and Devs are erasing:

I don't expect you to take my word on this but I will share with you what I was told by a friend of mine who works for SOE. I can't give you any more detail like his position, department, etc for fear of him being identified. They apparently are bound by some air-tight non-disclosure agreements.

Below is what I was told:

Apparently, the NGE has really, REALLY stirred things up in Austin. All sorts of fingers are being pointed among SOE employee's as nobody wants to take the blame. Right now EVERYONE is trying to distance themselves from being responsible for making ANY decsions on pushing the NGE live. Every single employee is avoiding any connection to the NGE like the plague. I was told that the Dev's expected SOME account cancelations when the NGE went live, but my insider said they were willing to take those vet losses with the hopes of bringing in new subscribers over the holiday sales season. Also, the devs were counting on most of the threats by vets to quit to not actually go thru with cancelling. They have admitted, at least internally, that they number of cancels has FAR FAR FAR exceeded the number they were willing to take. As a result, there is beginning to be some serious discussion of a pre-NGE rollback. Several dev's are in serious jeopardy of being fired, and many many many of the support staff etc are polishing up their resume's because SOE has become the laughing stock of the online gaming community. No longer is it a badge of pride to work for SOE according to what I was told. Even my friend says he is no longer proud of working for SOE because of how they have destroyed their reputation.

Also, after having to report to LA on the NGE results, specifically the account cancels numbers, some of the big dogs from LA have flown into Austin for some serious intervention. No details on what that means yet, but it is known that Smedly and the senior crew at SOE have been behind closed doors for unusually lengthy meetings and have emerged with scowls on their face. The speculation is that LA is gearing up to crack down big time. (I would love to have been a fly on the wall in those meetings)

Because of the signifacant loss of subscriptions, customer service has laid off 25% of their support staff starting the 1st of January with more cuts expected.

All in all, the NGE turned out to rock the player base more deeply than what they expected. Talks are now underway on cutting the game off sometime in the first quarter of 2006. There is discussion with an outside company that is interested in purchasing the pre-NGE code with the aim of running a handful (5 tops) of pre-NGE servers, and maintained with a skeleton support staff. Right now this is apparently looking to be the most realistic result.

I will post more info as I hear stuff.

Added stuff:

Oh, and my insider said the Devs are being intentionally vague on their forum posting and player communication because they want to keep as many subscribers as possible right now. A memo was passed down to ALL Dev's by the SOE execs with a list of topics that are completely not to be discussed or responded to on the forums. It is generally feared by the SOE team that the more info the player base has, the more of them will quit the game.

Also, the game WAS in the pre-development phase on porting to consol (xbox, playstation), but that those cycles have been 100% stalled at the moment because the future of SWG is so uncertain. But I was told that if any Dev posted or said that consol talks were never taking place it is a lie because significant discussions had already been underway with the design teams experienced with porting PC games to consol systems and that the NGE was partly (not entirely) designed to acomplish this objective.

None of this would surprise me in the least.

Venom
05-12-2005, 19:08:33
It all sounds entirely plausible, and would be deserved for SOE, but I doubt we'll ever really know for sure.

It all could have been avoided if they just would have brought the player base into the NGE development as early as possible and mined them for ideas then. Not after they released a bug filled, barely playable mess.

HelloKitty
05-12-2005, 23:03:54
Well I think SWG now has the title of biggest MMO fuck up ever. Anarchy Online for its release and Horizons for its development used to compete for that title.

God damn that sucks. I liked the game pre-CU, really liked the game post CU and now its dead.

Venom
06-12-2005, 01:53:03
They're banging the advertisment drum hard though. Basically spinning the hell out of everything. They were on G4TV tonight demoing the iconic professions.

The Mad Monk
06-12-2005, 23:19:45
They had commercials running on Cartoon Network heavily banging on the "simple" and "easy to play" drums.

This is the game players went to for its complexity, right?

HelloKitty
07-12-2005, 02:35:53
Yeah, the original game was extremely complex and even after the CU, which cleaned up lots of messes, the game was very complicated. Those of us playing since beta loved that.

Now toontown is harder to get into.

Venom
07-12-2005, 03:09:45
And actually they weren't on G4TV. Julio Torres canceled on the show at the last minute. Speculation is rampant.

HelloKitty
07-12-2005, 06:51:27
Heres hoping someone higher up at LA than him said "You did WHAT?" Great job! Take a vacation! This is as cool as Han shooting second!

Lurker the Second
07-12-2005, 16:10:33
I'm beginning to buy into the theory that PvP is the big culprit in this mess. If they didn't have PvP, there would be no need for absolute equalization of combat skills. I think they spent so damn much attention on that they ended up boxing themselves into some totally fucked up situation.

I never PvP'd and never cared whether I was the uberleet combat machine. I just wanted to be able to fit into high end groups and contribute according to my skills.

Venom
07-12-2005, 16:23:43
PvP is the culprit, sort of. They wanted to simplify the game to open it up to the stupid, short attention spanned shooter crowd.

MattHiggs
07-12-2005, 18:00:54
AO is a really good game for number crunching. The amount of stats there is to increase, plus items/implant/weapon combinations, is enough to make your head implode.

JM^3
07-12-2005, 18:02:38
yeah, AO was great for stats

I got real tired of it sometimes though (spending more time figuring out how to get something on, then actually 'playing')

JM

MattHiggs
07-12-2005, 18:09:19
That was half the fun for me. I loved playing an Agent - the possibilities were endless.

MDA
01-03-2006, 17:03:38
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/21/tech/gamecore/main1335511.shtml

"There has never been a release by Sony Online Entertainment that has been incomplete,"

Venom
01-03-2006, 18:44:39
I don't even know how to respond to that, except to do a spit take.

HelloKitty
01-03-2006, 18:59:30
Heh. He admits he was wrong on the FOH forums. The forums the article says he posts and replies to are actually frequented by several of the lead designers and GMs. Thats where a lot of info comes out that is not in press releases.

Smed on the other hand registered and started posting within the same time span as this article was written.

Hmmmm....

Darkstar
01-03-2006, 21:43:28
I'd be worried that the change of MEO to Lord of the Rings Online is a sign of the game being "simplified" to cash in on LotR's fading popularity. Isn't that the justification that SOE tried to make for the Star Wars rebuild? Newbies couldn't grasp what was going on, so they made it a "newbie" MMO? That's what the general outside gamers grapevine has been circulating.

I'd think CoH/CoV would be more to Venom's taste, if he isn't up for fantasy. Didn't this forum used to swear by CoH and have multiple orgasms whenever talking about CoV?

HelloKitty
02-03-2006, 00:14:46
I sent venom a key to try COV/COH free but it was the same week we all started playing eve. I'm suprised he likes eve, the pace is definitly very slow.

My account is still active for coh/cov, just no time to log on the last 2 weeks, and everyone here is playing eve.

Venom
02-03-2006, 01:45:45
I like to watch TV, sometimes a slow pace is nice. EVE lets me watch a lot of TV.

I still want to play COV/H but I just don't have the time.