PDA

View Full Version : TauCeti.....

shagnasty
27-11-2005, 14:42:00
You might be able to help. is the Japanese for happy birthday: otanjoubiomedetougozaimasu?
Just seems a bit to long.:confused:

shagnasty
27-11-2005, 14:59:16
No then. Must be sweary. He's run off. You can burn this thread now, it is defunkt.

mr.G
27-11-2005, 15:17:09
"happy otanjoubiomedetougozaimasu to you!" is a great song tho

shagnasty
27-11-2005, 15:28:17
:lol: :lol: :beer:

alsieboo
29-11-2005, 00:32:03
I wondered how you found out what it is :p I still think you should pronounce it for me lo

TauCeti@Japan
29-11-2005, 06:10:28
Originally posted by shagnasty
You might be able to help. is the Japanese for happy birthday: otanjoubiomedetougozaimasu?
Just seems a bit to long.:confused:
Yes, but it is quite a polite and formal way of saying it. You can cut the gozaimasu and possibly the initial o when talking to people you know well.

Although Japanese does not use word spacing, it is common to do so when it is transcribed: o-tanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu.

The pronunciation using English phonetics is roughly "aw-tanjawbee awmehdehtaw gawzighmas". "o" and "ou" are the same sound, but "o" is about half as long. The "a" is pronounced like in "father", but shorter. The "e" is pronounced like in "bet", but longer (I wrote it as "eh" above, which is far from perfect, but sort of acceptable if said quickly). English vowel pronunciation is seriously fucked up.

shagnasty
29-11-2005, 07:02:15
Cheers Tau. I had a feeling it would be right, though I couldn't be to sure as I got it from some translation site.
I'm actually trying to learn Japanese at the mo but I'm having trouble remembering words and stuff. Pronounciation doesn't seem to be a problem though.

TauCeti@Japan
29-11-2005, 07:24:33
I have little experience with translations into Japanese (and know too little to judge the quality of any translation anyway), but automatic translations from Japanese tend to be ... interesting.

Like the wind which flows the stylish forum and the color ring which face to the resort. The beautiful view where wide you jump from the window the seat promises the time of the relaxing to destination comfortably.