PDA

View Full Version : DIY Road Calming

Funko
22-11-2005, 17:24:37
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4459056.stm

I really like this.

Looking forward to hearing what further ideas they come up with.

A campaign is under way to lower speed limits to 20mph in urban areas, but what's going to make drivers slow down? A bossy road sign, a hump in the road or a three-piece suite parked in the road?

There's no reason that traffic calming should be boring or without a sense of humour, says children's author and traffic campaigner, Ted Dewan.

And using his Oxford residential street as a test laboratory, Mr Dewan has been working on more creative ways to reduce traffic speed.

"People are too used to being scolded by warning signs telling them about lethal speed and driving. It's like 'tell me something new'. But they're not used to having their wit engaged," he says.

So in a spirit that combines a sense of entertainment with a serious intent, he has come up with the idea of "folk traffic calming".

This is where art installations meet road safety, a kind of sleeping policeman that's been influenced by Damien Hirst.

Gary
22-11-2005, 17:27:31
More garbage from the car haters. Funny way to go searching for mutual respect.

novacane
22-11-2005, 17:28:45
Yeah, I was reading about this earlier.

Bless!

Funko
22-11-2005, 17:29:54
Originally posted by Gary
More garbage from the car haters. Funny way to go searching for mutual respect.

:hmm:

What's wrong with traffic calming in purely residential streets?

He's not talking about putting installations on the M4.

Funko
22-11-2005, 17:30:50
If drivers could be trusted to drive slowly without them....

but they can't.

shagnasty
22-11-2005, 17:34:17
Originally posted by Funko
If drivers could be trusted to drive slowly without them....

but they can't.

Thats exactly what I've been saying to people who bitch about speed cameras for christ knows how long.

Gary
22-11-2005, 17:51:30
Roads are for driving on, not waltzing about on. That's why drivers have paid umpteen times over for them. Allow 20 mph now, it'll be 15 next, then 10, then 5, then 2 with a guy waving a flag in front. Ridiculous. Roads have a function and it's not to play on. 30 is a perfectly reasonable limit. Trouble is some seem to want perfect safety everywhere.

shagnasty
22-11-2005, 17:57:47
They've already pulled a 30 zone down to a 20 near where I live. It is bloody silly. 30 mph is fine and fluffy. It dosen't matter what speed people drive at there will always be accidents, thats why they're called accidents.

The Norks
22-11-2005, 17:58:01
"There needs to be something more creative than just a bump in the road," he says.

Why exactly?

looks like a load of baloney to me. We have cheap and easy to install traffic calming methods, we don't need councils spending more of our tax on art installations that will inevitably be expensive to produce, difficult to navigate, easy to vandalise and probably easier to destroy with a drunk driven car.

shagnasty
22-11-2005, 18:00:51
I'm getting relly worried now. Everything I've read that miss norks has written these last couple of days, I agree with. Help........ Please........;)

The Norks
22-11-2005, 18:03:42
Originally posted by Gary
Roads are for driving on, not waltzing about on. That's why drivers have paid umpteen times over for them. Allow 20 mph now, it'll be 15 next, then 10, then 5, then 2 with a guy waving a flag in front. Ridiculous. Roads have a function and it's not to play on. 30 is a perfectly reasonable limit. Trouble is some seem to want perfect safety everywhere.

Exactly!! (and safety does not mean putting a small girl on a sofa in the middle of the road).

"A driver of a 4x4 didn't so much disapprove - he was too crazed and violent for that. He seemed to be made psychotic by the idea that roads could exist for anything other than him to drive on," he says.

This motorist deliberately drove into pieces of the living room furniture and then called the council to demand that they shift whatever was left lying in the road."

I'm not bloody surprised. Cars go on roads, people go on pavements. Thats not a really heavy capitalist scheme to, like, bring us all down, its common bloody sense!

The Norks
22-11-2005, 18:04:35
Originally posted by shagnasty
I'm getting relly worried now. Everything I've read that miss norks has written these last couple of days, I agree with. Help........ Please........;)

I'm having a lucid phase.

Japher
22-11-2005, 18:05:41
just get old people to drive around now and then

shagnasty
22-11-2005, 18:08:49
Originally posted by The Norks
I'm having a lucid phase.

Thank Lucifer's giant turds for that. I thought there was something right with me.;)

Funko
23-11-2005, 09:09:57
I'm not bloody surprised. Cars go on roads, people go on pavements. Thats not a really heavy capitalist scheme to, like, bring us all down, its common bloody sense!

People also have to cross roads.

As this is only on about residential streets I don't see the problem. Residential streets must make up on average what, the first hundred meters of a journey, if that?

And they are also the places you tend to get kids playing and run over. I don't see what's so insane about trying to cut down the number of kids killed by cars in backstreets. Residential streets are much more than just highways.

I don't just think cars need to go slower in all situations, the speed limits need to suit the situation. I also think raising the motorway speed limit is a good idea.

Anyway, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the campaign I think it's an interesting way to get people talking about the issue. And the road was closed when the living room was blocking the whole road but having a girl in the living room in the road was obviously symbolic (and not very subtle).

The Norks
23-11-2005, 12:15:14
I don't think its an issue that needs talking about- we have perfectly adequate traffic calming measures. YOu can't move in the Thames Valley for frickin sleeping policeman, and go to Bracknell and observe the bizarre preference for chicanes. Most residential streets also have signs telling you what speed to go. It would be better to invest in parks for kids (I think most adults can safely cross a road).

Funko
23-11-2005, 12:17:12
Not everywhere has traffic calming measures. I do think Reading and the local area is well served by this however.

Parks for rapists and drug addicts to hang out in? You just want to create crime waves! And how many kids do you want to slaughter as they cross the road to the park!!! ;)

Funko
23-11-2005, 12:20:38
I also think that a 20 Mph speed limit would be less annoying than sleeping policement/chicanes.

The Norks
23-11-2005, 12:41:23
christ, why don't we just go back to horse and carriage? maybe if parents took responsibility for their kids instead of expecting the government to do it we wouldnt have kids running wild everywhere.

novacane
23-11-2005, 12:45:41
There is already a scheme called "Safer Routes to Schools" which involves reducing the speed limit around schools to 20mph and installing other calming measures such as chicanes. These have proved very effective in the UK.

Also, I don't think this article implied that traffic calming was going to become an art form. I think this guy was just raising awareness and creating publicity. Clearly, the issue is a bee in his bonnet.

A 30mph speed limit on normal residential roads is perfectly acceptable. The point that we all have to cross these roads holds no water with me. People are taught how to cross roads at a young age and pedestrian crossings are invariably present to aid crossing on busier roads (except in Reading, on the corner by the post office - but there should be a development there soon!) Residential roads by their very nature, tend to see minimal traffic flows anyway and where this isn't the case (ie. rat-runs), it is soon brought to the attention of the local council who will then commission a study to gauge the need for additional calming measures.

I saw this article more for the fun side than any serious point.

Its clear from this thread who the drivers and non-drivers are.

Funko
23-11-2005, 13:03:33
christ, why don't we just go back to horse and carriage?

Too much horse poo on the ground, it's unsanitary. I suppose if fitted with a pooh bucket they'd be very environmentally friendly.

The Norks
23-11-2005, 13:07:04
think of the employment it would create! Poo scrapers everywhere!

Funko
23-11-2005, 13:09:01
I want to be a poo scraper!

Funko
23-11-2005, 13:09:30
We could make all kids do 2 years as poo scrapers as national service. That'd teach them.

mr.G
23-11-2005, 13:12:48
yaaaaay orrr students
i hate students........lazy bastards

Venom
23-11-2005, 13:17:10
You know what calms me when I'm driving? Shooting the shit out of other cars.

novacane
23-11-2005, 13:18:43
yeah!!!

Venom
23-11-2005, 13:27:56
Seeing that other driver desperately swerve away from a hail of gun fire and, inevitably, losing control, flying off the road and exploding against a tree.....just pure relaxation.

Funko
23-11-2005, 13:47:50
As long as it's done at less than 20mph in residential zones.

Lurker the Second
23-11-2005, 13:58:19
I'd be a calm driver if all the other bastards would just stay off the road, or at least pull over when I'm around them.

Drekkus
23-11-2005, 17:32:44
"With the living room, it was the most direct way of saying 'We live here. This is our living space.'"

I really do hope they were homeless

The Norks
23-11-2005, 17:47:35
Originally posted by Venom
You know what calms me when I'm driving? Shooting the shit out of other cars.

that and drinking

shagnasty
23-11-2005, 17:49:29
At the same time.

Japher
23-11-2005, 17:57:15
they generally coincide

Venom
23-11-2005, 18:06:26
that and drinking

I'm always drunk.

shagnasty
23-11-2005, 18:18:00
Do you drink to calm the rage down to "not quite managable"?