PDA

View Full Version : Bass Guitar Effects?

FunkyFingers
15-04-2002, 15:52:34
Has anyone used/got any good bass effects pedals/packs?
I'm thinking of adding a bit of effectage to my bass rig, just because, well, why not eh, guitarists always seem to have more effects than Industrial Light and Magic.

I used a distortion pedal during my school rock band era for the Billy Sheean/Mr Big style stuff, but these days I don't exactly play that style! My amp has a built in variable-rate compression, which is useful for gigging.

I've got my JayDee and a Trace Elliot amp (300watts, 2x10" cab). Are there any POD/Zoom machines specifically for Bass? What are they like and how much are they?

Any input most gratefully received!

Adam Bomb
15-04-2002, 19:48:50
The most important effect for a bass is compression which you already have. A good stereo chorus makes the sound really nice and adds a bit of bottom end. It would be cheaper to get yourself some seperate foot pedals. I suggest a valve style pre-amp pedal which is capable of distortion and a chorus. You could consider a phaser or flanger too. I would avoid reverb and delay for the bass unless you are going for a Pink Floyd feel.
But I am only a drummer so what should I know!;)

Vincent Fandango
15-04-2002, 20:29:14
There's a bass POD ..Bass Pod (http://www.musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2228,Reviews--5141434,00.html)
I heard an octaver is nice for a bass, but never tried it.

Lazarus and the Gimp
16-04-2002, 08:17:17
I used to play Bass through a Boss Overdrive pedal cranked up full blast. It sounded filthy.

FunkyFingers
16-04-2002, 08:53:39
The Bass POD looks interesting, quite pricey though!

Funkodrom
16-04-2002, 09:18:15
I played on RC's when we were doing the ACOL vs Poly song.

http://www.loudmedicine.net/postit.mp3

Resource Consumer
16-04-2002, 12:53:07
Funky, the Bass Pod is really nice. I usually have to DI (well, always, no bass amp) and it has a great range of tones and cab simulators. Maybe it is a more studio piece of equipment than for live use but I recommend it.

Resource Consumer
16-04-2002, 12:56:17
I can't even remember who was playing what on that now...

Funkodrom
16-04-2002, 13:53:32
I'm playing guitar and you're doing the bass I think.

Funkodrom
16-04-2002, 13:55:04
That's only the second recorded instance of me doing any kind of solo.

Resource Consumer
16-04-2002, 14:08:38
Originally posted by MikeH
I'm playing guitar and you're doing the bass I think.

I seem to remember playing an acoustic over the first part and playing the bass at the second. I think (but really the ouzo and vodka and sheer freezing cold of the house have clouded my judgement)

Take 1 : you bass and me acoustic
Take 2 : Your guitar and my bass on the second bit

(or maybe we did your guitar in 2 bites - one before the drums and one after?)

Funkodrom
16-04-2002, 14:13:15
Ah yes. I think you're right about that. I couldn't play the bass part on the second bit fast enough I seem to remember. I was totally out of practice back then. We must have done the one note solo afterwards 'cause the acoustic guitar goes under the solo.

self biased
18-04-2002, 19:32:23
the best bass effect processer i've seen that's affordable is the zoom 708. it's got everything you could ever possibly ask for, and for fairly cheap, too. as for a bassrig, i run an ampeg 350 H w/ 4x10 and 1x18. power. sheer power.

FunkyFingers
23-04-2002, 09:10:32
I've just found some reviews of the Zoom708, it's not exactly expensive either. I may investigate further...

Ampeg eh? Always found the sound was too dirty for my personal tastes, but they do pack a big punch. If I hook my Trace Elliot up to the 1x18 cab that I borrow from my mate Nathan for big gigs, that certainly has some awesome additional trouser flapping potential!

What bass do you have?

Vincent Fandango
23-04-2002, 09:25:10
I had a zoom guitar FX board (4040, 4080?) and it was terrible. Lots of hissing sounds, very "undefined", hazy. bad compression. Sold it after a few months and bought a Roland GT5 board as replacement.

On the other side I got an 10 years old Zoom 19" multieffect and that's excellent, but it was expensive.

PosterBoy
24-04-2002, 11:13:14
I like that bass guitar effect that they have on the jaydee's and others called the volume control , you can turn them down so no one can hear you.

It's brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

Funkodrom
24-04-2002, 11:14:36
The engineer did that on Rock Cliche. Good lad. :beer:

FunkyFingers
24-04-2002, 15:25:28
Originally posted by PosterBoy
I like that bass guitar effect that they have on the jaydee's and others called the volume control , you can turn them down so no one can hear you.

It's brilliant!!!!!!!!!!

Ha ha :cry:

Actually, in JayDee's there's a special extra hidden feature that can help control the bass players' volume. When the batteries powering the active electronics start to run low, it stops producing any output at all. Trouble is, there's no indication that the batteries are low coz the LEDs still light up lovely. You only realise when you get on stage, plug in and, bzzzz, that's about all you get. That happens about every 12 months. I always carry a spare pair of 9v PP3 batteries with the bass these days...

self biased
30-04-2002, 03:06:38
i've got an early 80's esp surveyor w/ seymour duncan passive pickups. i've also got an Alvarez acoustic bass. i've been looking into getting a 5 string bass again, and i've played a Conklin (sp) 5 string. it's got some punch and a nice, clean tone.

as for ampegs sounding "dirty," i actually understand that, but they've got the power, and the low and midrange higlights that are simply superior to just about anything this side of a gallien-kreuger. if you ever get the chance to, play on an old ampeg b-15 with the flip top and the tubes. i think that is the only beastie that i'll record on.

self biased
02-05-2002, 02:27:47
Originally posted by FunkyFingers

Ha ha :cry:

Actually, in JayDee's there's a special extra hidden feature that can help control the bass players' volume. When the batteries powering the active electronics start to run low, it stops producing any output at all. Trouble is, there's no indication that the batteries are low coz the LEDs still light up lovely. You only realise when you get on stage, plug in and, bzzzz, that's about all you get. That happens about every 12 months. I always carry a spare pair of 9v PP3 batteries with the bass these days...

that's why i like passive pickups. **evil grin**

FunkyFingers
02-05-2002, 11:11:43
I've been 5-string bass shopping on more than 1 occassion in the last few years, well, since 5 and 6 string basses became de-rigeur, but honestly, I still to this day haven't found a 5 or 6 string bass that played, or sounded, as good as my 4 String JayDee; therefore I've never seen the point. Why buy something that's inferior is my thinking. JayDee now makes 5 and 6 String basses, which is nice, but I just can't afford them.

Gallien Kruger amps - honestly they're foul. They sound like vindaloo farts. When I bought my Trace last year, the guy in the shop made me try a GK - 300 Watts, 1x15" driver: he was all "this amp is fab, so much punch, so much tone" and I'm like "I'd rather stick my head in a pig than buy this". You pretty much couldn't tell one note from the other - sure, it was "phat" and probably great for hard rock, but that's not my style. Again, Ampeg - it's not really my cup of tea, I don't think they've got the mid-range clarity of a Trace, which is the sound I like. I want to be able to hear the notes! Although I did play an Ampeg head through a Harkte cab (4x10" with metal cones) which had a world of attack and brightness, but no bass!

Funkodrom
02-05-2002, 11:13:25
I have a couple of self's band's songs on mp3, it's definitely heavy rock whereas you are going for a funk sound which I guess explains the difference.

FunkyFingers
02-05-2002, 11:22:05
Yep, that would explain it!
It's cool to have these discussions though because in most people's minds, bass is just that low farty noise that fills in the gaps between the drums and the rhythm guitar, but of course there's a lot more to it than that...

Funkodrom
02-05-2002, 11:24:14
No there isn't. :D

self biased
02-05-2002, 15:37:36
i haven't actually tried out a trace elliot stack... i was too disappointed in the strings for anything outher than acoustic guitars. the big problem with GKs is that a) they have to be old, and b) they have to be VERY high end.

Mike- how did you get a hold of them? and are they on that website of yours...? if they aren't or you wanted my permission, go right ahead, if you feel the need to.

Funkodrom
02-05-2002, 15:39:13
I think you posted a link a long time back at Apolyton. At least I think it was your band I might have got confused. Forgotten? Forgotten and Poser I have.

FunkyFingers
02-05-2002, 15:47:51
Self - the Trace Elliot Bass and "Trace Acoustic" amps are definitely worth trying - esp the Trace Acoustic amp - its designed specifically for amplifing Acoustic guitars (100-nilled myself there!) and you've never heard anything as good, without question. Unbelievably good sound.

The bass amps - they have a bright overall tone, with a very clear mid-range. If you like to play fast stuff up the neck you hear every note, and if you play chords you get all the harmonics - great for solo stuff actually. They are also what I would describe as "fast" - there's a lot of attack, which is great if you play any slap (which I do quite a lot).

I've never tried Trace Elliot strings. For years I used the Superwound 303 "Funkmaster" Strings, which were really really bright. They don't make them anymore, so I went to Elites, but they are frankly shit. Can't remember what the last brand of strings I bought are, but they seem ok. 35-95 guage.

self biased
04-05-2002, 04:19:29
i like the ernie ball slinky strings, or failing that GHS boomers. because i usually end up playing tuned to c# or sometimes lower, i tend to opt for at least a 105 guage set. Ernie Ball makes a "Power Slinky" set that sounds great.

as for midrange on bass, in my experience, it's not generally a good thing. perhaps it's the pickups you're using. if you like active, go with EMG, if you like passive, go for Seymor Duncan.

FunkyFingers
08-05-2002, 09:29:22
You need some mid-range in the sound otherwise you can't hear any of the notes - however, all Trace Elliot bass amps have either a 7 or 12 band graphic eq so you can dial in and out any frequencies you want.

At least 105 Guage? I've never understood how people can actually play such heavy guage strings, they're so slow! Never tried Ernie Ball strings on a bass.
Aye well, each to his own.

self biased
11-05-2002, 16:29:23
the main reason to use heavier guage strings is tone. my band tuned to C#, and a 95 guage string didn't cut it. for my 'b' string (wich was actually G#) i had to use 135s. the lower tunings need the thicker guage.

but as for strings, try a set of ernie balls... they're pretty decent.

Funkodrom
13-05-2002, 09:11:38
I use Ernie ball guitar strings (heavy top slinky bottom). They are fine.