PDA

View Full Version : Build a computer for my Mom!

The Mad Monk
19-11-2005, 16:17:16
Okay, I want to hear about components.

We don't need top of the line, we do need reliability and cost...in that order.

Definate photo editing, probably not video editing.

Deacon
19-11-2005, 20:17:08
Go cheap. Socket 754 Sempron. Onboard graphics, onboard sound, onboard ethernet, combo drive, Viewsonic E70 monitor, Antec SLK1650 case.

The Mad Monk
20-11-2005, 05:20:23
That's too cheap.

Gary
21-11-2005, 08:59:29
If it's for your mother, do you need to bother with a build ? Buy ready made cheap on Net (or elsewhere). Ebay maybe.

I think I'd only contemplate build for myself because there's a good chance I'll want to modify, and it allows me the use the bits I want. You can photo edit on most if not all PCs.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
22-11-2005, 03:52:11
Buy her a Thinkpad :)

The Mad Monk
22-11-2005, 04:37:39
Part of Mom's computer problems lie with all the junk front loaded into retail systems. I want to present her with a clean slate.

Also, I like building computers.

Cruddy
23-11-2005, 00:20:58
ASRock Dual motherboard - AMD 939 or Intel 775. Has AGP and PCI-E, so you can get a cheapo graphics card now (say AGP 6600GT) and upgrade it later if/when it needs it. Don't get 6200, it doesn't have a hardware video encoder. If you can't find AGP card, then ATI X800 GT outperforms for similar price, but only available in PCI-E.

An AGP mobo can be used with modded AGP graphics cards that go from being standard games cards to workstation cards, which (if you Mom ever needs 3D Max or similar) would be very very handy indeed, for a fraction of the price of a "real" workstation card.

Corsair Value Select DDR400 PC3200 RAM - best bang per buck while still having a warranty. I'd say buy just 1Gb sticks, one now, one later if she needs more. If she's a Photoshop user then yes she will need more.

DECENT PSU - I'd say Antec TruPower, Enermax or Seasonic. You get what you pay for here. Hiper 480W if you can source one (not common).

After that, suit to taste pocket CPU, hard drives, case etc.

Start with a solid base - don't go with crappy PSUs and sub-standard motherboards. Processors, RAM and card are much more alike than PSUs and mobos.

EDIT: To guard against hard drive crashes, you might consider a different mobo with RAID capabilities. 2 matching hard drives in a RAID type 1 array would be much less likely to totally fail and prevent any data from being recovered... but that board doesn't support RAID. Well, the Intel 775 version doesn't, I doubt the AMD one will either.

The Mad Monk
23-11-2005, 07:32:57
That sounds like a good start, thanks. :)

Antec and Corsair Value Select are both definately in the mix, I used them to build my gaming box back in '04, and I'm very happy with both.

I'll look into ASRock.

Cruddy
23-11-2005, 19:54:38
Made by Asus - they're good boards, and the website is MILES easier to navigate than the official Asus one.