PDA

View Full Version : Music Videos of the year

Scabrous Birdseed
19-11-2005, 15:22:00
I know, I know, it's only november and the Michel Gondry-directed Kanye West video has yet to appear. Still, I've been watching more music videos this year than I have for may years and there's been some excellent ones, so I'll kick off CGs awards season with this category.

My Top 5:

5. R Kelly - Trapped in the Closet (parts 1-5)

Five-part megalomaniac literalist melodrama in which R Kelly overacts his way through romance, jealousy, violence, fights, drama, etc. etc. You've gotta love something as overambitious as this. The recorded song cycle/rock opera has 12 parts so this one might not be over yet.

4. Basement Jaxx - Do your Thing

Simple idea, and generally downright nice-looking T-shirts. Love it.

3. Bob Sinclair - Love Generation

Another simple, warm idea you just can't help loving, and the scenery is breathtaking.

2. Korn - Twisted Transistor

Alternate-world mockumentary, thumbs up. Taking the piss out of yourself, thumbs up. But it's the actors playing the band that really makes this video. If you've seen it you know what I mean.

and the winner is...

1. Audioslave - Doesn't remind me

I haven't seen such a genuinly deep piece of film-making in any format this year. Easily one of my top-three videos of all time.

Mr. Bas
19-11-2005, 15:33:12
I haven't seen the Audioslave video yet, unfortunately. I agree about the Korn video, it's really nice although the song doesn't amount to much.

Yesterday I saw the video for Burn the Witch by QOTSA, which I liked a lot. My only nomination for this moment, since my memory is not working atm.

devilmunchkin
20-11-2005, 08:16:28
i figured you guys would be all over any video shakira made :p

Nills Lagerbaak
21-11-2005, 09:28:53
Yes, shakira videos are great!

But video of the year award has to go to Pendulum, with their video for "Slam"!

The Norks
21-11-2005, 17:11:15
was the Eric Prydz video this year? That was wicked.

King_Ghidra
14-12-2005, 15:31:14
there was a bloc party one where they were cartoon characters, that was cool

the kanye west golddigger one too, superfine girls

i forget them so quickly

Nills Lagerbaak
14-12-2005, 15:57:50
The Gorillaz videos are always good...