PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me something fresh, hip and kicking

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-11-2005, 17:29:38
And describe it. Names alone are useless.

BigGameHunter
18-11-2005, 21:02:51
You've probably heard this already but I'll give it a shot:

Pelican--Early Floyd esqe with no vocals.

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-11-2005, 22:18:07
Funny you should mention them. I nearly bought their album, on the strength of the cool cover. I didn't think they'd sound like Floyd, though.

Foetus
18-11-2005, 23:39:35
Alex, Alex. You're a rapidly greying father of two. You don't want to delve into the realms of fresh, hip and kicking new music. Sit back and relax to the tunes from the good old days ... a little bit of nostalgia from the days of your youth, exponentially accelerating away from you. C'mon, grab your slippers ... stoke up your pipe ... you know you want to join us.

Debaser
19-11-2005, 01:41:39
Ok Mr and the Gimp, I don't know how current your collection is so I'll go from last 5 or so years...

British Sea Power - You'll love this band. If you're buying, go for their first album; "The Decline of British Sea Power", if your downloading then get the songs "Remember Me" "Apologies for Insect Life" "Carrion" and "Fear of Drowning". Geoff Travis from Rough Trade's favourite band, when he signed them he promised them a second album even if their first didn't sell a copy, that's how good he thinks they are.

My Morning Jacket - In my opinion their album "It Still Moves" is their best work. Neil Young-esque country tinged 70s rock with fucking tons of added reverb. An awesome live band too.

Clor - If you like the Cardiacs then you'll love their eponymous album. I (like me) you don't really think much of the Cardiacs chances are you'll love it anyway.

Cat Power - The album "Are You Free" is about as good as you're ever going to get if you're into quirky, haunting, sincere, beautiful female singer-songwriter types.

Devendra Banhart - His album "Nino Rojo" is all I've really heard (I think he has loads of others). Awesome singer-songwriter. His song 'At The Hop' is used on that cheese advert (even though it isn't cheesy at all).

Be Your Own Pet - Obscenely young spunky pop-rock. Will make you feel very old but very happy.

The Palestinians - Pretty much unheard of at the moment, but you can download some tunes from www.myspace.com/thepalestinians . I hear their bass player is cool as fuck. Um....

self biased
19-11-2005, 08:49:56
stinking lizaveta

Scabrous Birdseed
19-11-2005, 12:24:37
On the Swedish front, former unpleasant child pop-R&B singer Robyn (you may remeber some of her hits, unfortunately), has broken free of major-corporate clutches and self-published a rather excellent eponymous album. It's kinda punky-R&B-meets-Kate Bush, but with a sense of humour. (I know I'm astoudingly bad at Laz-appeal description but I think you'll like it.) Might be tricky to get hold of in the UK, except through Skivhugget (www.skivhugget.com) of course.

On the interesting-foreign-genres front, I predict Romanian gypsy Manele is a definate possibility for "the next big thing". It sounds uncannily like arabic pop-meets-ragga. Here's a big directory of files:

http://www.muzica-mp3.ro/download-manele.shtml

Lazarus and the Gimp
19-11-2005, 15:02:26
The mention of Kate Bush causes me instant repulsion. I can't stand her stuff.

Walrus Feeder
21-11-2005, 22:53:23
Lady Sovereign

Nills Lagerbaak
22-11-2005, 09:48:53
It's not fresh, it is hip, and it is kickin...

Public Enemy - New Whirl Order. Great album, with political commet that is very relevant today.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-11-2005, 11:02:37
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
The mention of Kate Bush causes me instant repulsion. I can't stand her stuff.

Score another one on the "Fails to excite gimp by description, even though he'd probably like it" list. (Currently also containing the brilliant Silverbullit and Silver Apples.)

King_Ghidra
22-11-2005, 12:54:44
Originally posted by Debaser

Cat Power - The album "Are You Free" is about as good as you're ever going to get if you're into quirky, haunting, sincere, beautiful female singer-songwriter types.

'you are free' no? you gotta stop watching those 'are you being served' reruns...

great stuff though

Debaser
22-11-2005, 21:58:18
Yup, what KG said...

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007JVBI.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Provost Harrison
22-11-2005, 22:11:22
I'm free!

http://www.johninman.co.uk/images/head.gif

paiktis22
06-12-2005, 18:22:48
The Ultimate Dance Collection! (3CDs) (that's the title of the collection, apparently from disky communications europe)) Jungle, Rave and Drum and Bass for only 8 euros :D

here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005N9HK/qid=1133893478/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl/026-6884339-2487616
don't be an old git open your ears to new sounds :D

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-12-2005, 19:47:47
That's just sooooooo 1994.

paiktis22
07-12-2005, 16:17:46
Probably.
And it is also shit, I have to report.
I had bought it yesterday and only listened to it today. Altough I did listen to it a bit at work and there it seemed good.

minor reconstruction. it is from 2002 and the jungle CD is pretty good!