PDA

View Full Version : DVD

Gary
06-11-2005, 12:52:05
Given up on search engines that seem to think it is hilarious to ignore non-letters in anything it's told to look for.

Is anyone here able to explain the phrase "DVD+R/RW" ? I can find references but no explanations. Can find +R yes, or RW yes but not +R/RW.

Is it a rewriteable format ?

Cheers.

LoD
06-11-2005, 14:00:04
Was it on the CDs or on the drive? If the latter they probably meant "DVD+R/DVD+RW".

Gary
06-11-2005, 17:31:36
Thanks.

It was on the box of a Philip's drive that my girlfriend is thinking of buying for her parents. She wanted to be sure they were able to record over disks previously used.

If they really did mean "DVD+R/DVD+RW" (and I did wonder) then that should be ok, since +RW is re-recordable isn't it ?

LoD
06-11-2005, 18:16:21
Yes, but I'd recommend on buying a DVD burner that handles both + and -.

Gary
07-11-2005, 17:47:39
Ah ha ! Looks ok then, thanks. (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/catalog.jsp?fhquery=fh_secondid%3Ddvdr3305_05_gb_c onsumer%26fh_location%3D%2F%2Fconsumer%2Fen_GB%2Fc ategories%3Ccatalog_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Chom e_audio_video_gr_gb_consumer%2Fcategories%3Cdvd_pl ayers_recorders_ca_gb_consumer%26&productId=DVDR3305_05_GB_CONSUMER&activeCategory=DVD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA_GB_CONSUME R&fredhopperpage=detail.jsp&activeTab=specifications&language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&proxybuster=UYSU0UQV4OJUTJ0RMRCSHQFHKFSESI5P)

LoD
07-11-2005, 23:29:58
There are several drives on the link you supplied, which one do you mean :)?

Also, one more important thing - the drive it should be able to operate on at least either + or - Double Layer DVDs (usually reffered to as DL in the specs).

Gary
08-11-2005, 15:21:51
It was the top one. I did try posting the link to it's details alone, but the magic of the Internet ensured it went to the list anyway.

Thing is they are not going to be tech savvy enough to use all the frills. Just need to ensure they are not disappointed in the choice a few years down the line. If one can record TV progs as if it were the modern day equivalent of yesteryear's video tape, and watch it later on in the week, then that's the major thing. Oh and of course record over the top the following week.

Whoops, actually just realised it isn't the top one, that has inclusive hard drive. Ha, should be so lucky at the price.

MattHiggs
21-06-2006, 17:20:54
Bump