PDA

View Full Version : I've found I quite enjoy shouting at the kids.

Beta1
05-11-2005, 18:05:37
I think I may have uncovered a previously buried sadistic streak. But boy does it feel good.

I spent yesterday shouting at kids at school. Up to now I've been doing a lot of low key discipline control stuff. Lots of ice stares of death etc. My mentor advised me to try out some different things - eg a bit of volume after a couple of clear calm warnings and oy does that work.

Had this kid who is normally pretty OK in a good year 9 class who was just a bit hyper yesterday. For some reason him and another kid stood up in class while everyone else was working quietly and started whistling really loudly. Normally I leave that sort of thing to the other teacher in the room but yesterday I was taking more charge so I dealt with it.

Walked straight over to the table and told him them sit down. Not loudly just firmly, one did sit one didn't. Thats cool, the kid followed my instructions, he hasn't done anything else bad that lesson so he is in the clear if he doesnt mess around anymore (if he did he gets the book thrown at him for the lot). The other kid stays on his feet and starts trying to make excuses. I tell him again slightly louder to sit down because he is disrupting my lesson - instruction, reason. Not angry, not aggressive just a nice clear instruction. He can't argue with that. He tries to make an excuse (god knows what excuse he thought covered whislting in class). That was his mistake - he's now disrupted my class and disobeyed a direct clear instruction. And he's trying to negotiate out of disturbing my class. He gets about 100 decibels - something along the lines of (can't remember exactly) " There is no excuse for whistling in my classroom, you WILL sit down and you WILL NOT whistle again. You do anything else this lesson and you will be seeing the deputy head!". Didn't lose my temper with him, didn't even really make it sound that angry. Just loud and ice cold.

Kid sat down so fast you wouldn't believe it turned bright red and didn't make a sound for the rest of the lesson.

I stepped back, looked around the room and every kid was sitting there wide eyed and quaking slightly. I just flashed a smile at the rest of the table, quietly said "you lot weren't expecting that were you?" to the girl closest to me and strolled away. She later told me " I didn't think you could be scary!". I've been working with them for about 3-4 weeks and they mostly see me as the nice guy who comes and helps them with the work the evil teacher sets them and doesn't make much of a fuss if they mess around a bit - which is true, the group work well and as long as they don't overstep the line I let them get away with minor things or at least don't make a scene about it. I think I may have just moved up from teaching assistant to teacher in their eyes...

God I'm loving this job.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
05-11-2005, 21:24:01
:lol: Sounds like how I handle my kids. Except without the nice bits.

Vincent
05-11-2005, 23:19:27
You're a psycho!

Colon
06-11-2005, 02:22:13
You haven't been sued yet for the inflected emotional distress?

Sir Penguin
06-11-2005, 02:46:52
He's in England, not America.

SP

alsieboo
06-11-2005, 13:44:29
ooh get you

Colon
06-11-2005, 14:20:22
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
He's in England, not America.

SP

In that case:

You haven't been called German yet?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
06-11-2005, 14:31:03
The kids haven't solicited a US lawyer yet?

King_Ghidra
07-11-2005, 09:04:30
i'm waiting for the thread where beta tries to apply his new-found authority at home

Oerdin
07-11-2005, 09:58:29
The lady of the house would have him on his knees in no time flat.

Kitsuki
07-11-2005, 12:01:13
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
i'm waiting for the thread where beta tries to apply his new-found authority at home

Or the, "I've found I quite enjoy caning kids" thread.... :hmm:

Funko
07-11-2005, 12:02:52
Or the "I was surprised how many kids said they liked getting caned" thread.

Beta1
07-11-2005, 18:43:37
Originally posted by King_Ghidra

actually I've been told that I have been, only using the more subtle postive reenforcement approach instead. My girlf is getting so paranoid I can't say anything nice without her thinking I'm up to something.

I did once give her the "eyes of disapproval"(TM) when she was going to turn the TV channel over. That actually worked but I paid for that one later.

lightblue
07-11-2005, 18:49:26
My gf has had that tactic down pat for herself for quite some time now (her mum is a teacher), so it's payback time in my case. Though at the moment my classroom management consists of the kids liking me and me wooing them with the awe and wonder of science education. Haven't got any evil classes though.

Beta1
07-11-2005, 19:21:08
you can't shout at the evil ones anyway as it doesnt work. You can shout at the good ones occasionally to keep them honest though.

Also I've got my first nickname.

Year 10 have started to refer to me as "Dr Evil"

Spartak@CPH
07-11-2005, 19:55:56
Not the evil dr frankenbeta?

Chris
07-11-2005, 20:12:57
The next thread from Beta:

"9th Graders have beaten the shit outta me"

The Norks
08-11-2005, 08:28:33
be careful- I had a teacher who screamed at me for about 5 minutes, in my face when I was 9 or 10 and I was pretty traumatised as a result- shaking for two hours after etc, and even now if I get into an argument or someone looks like they'll shout at me, I start shaking and panicking. There's a fine line between maintaining discipline and terrifying kids.

Funko
08-11-2005, 09:11:41
Dr Evil. :lol:

Nav
08-11-2005, 10:18:26
great nickname. :beer: :lol:

MDA
08-11-2005, 12:09:38
His hall monitors are sharks.

Beta1
08-11-2005, 16:49:12
Originally posted by The Norks
be careful- I had a teacher who screamed at me for about 5 minutes, in my face when I was 9 or 10 and I was pretty traumatised as a result- shaking for two hours after etc, and even now if I get into an argument or someone looks like they'll shout at me, I start shaking and panicking. There's a fine line between maintaining discipline and terrifying kids.

Don't worry, this wasnt the apoplectic, vein bulging, red faced "i', going to rip off you head and shit down your neck" shouting. It was just a louder than he was expecting telling off. I know I'm big (although actually not that much bigger than this kid - some year 9 are massive) but I'm really not that scary.

I can't be arsed to get angry with them anyway. Its takes too much energy and it drives you mad if you do. I find it too funny anyway. Everything kids do is just hilarious and its all I can do to stop laughing most of the time let alone tell them off.

Going to teach them about fertilisation tomorrow. That promises to be very funny.

And my hall monitors are sharks with lasers strapped to their heads.

MoSe
08-11-2005, 16:53:31
Originally posted by Beta1
I did once give her the "eyes of disapproval"(TM)

:eek:

you *rolleyed* your GF!!!!
:rolleyes:

bad karma, bad karma....

Nav
08-11-2005, 16:54:49
not frikkin? :lol: