PDA

View Full Version : What a poor year for music!

Walrus Feeder
04-11-2005, 23:18:44
Is anyone else in agreement that this year (so far) has provided very little in the way of outstanding new music? Focusing on the guitar based rock/indie which most of Counterglow seem to like, I can't think of many outstanding new releases in 2005. Most of the new releases from the established 'big bands' like Oasis, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, Coldplay and White Stripes haven't been that enthusiasticlly received and all we're getting otherwise is pop orientated stuff like Hard-Fi, The Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand or weird stuff like Maximo Park. And are Babyshambles, The Tears, and Bloc Party really that good?

I think i've only bought one new album this year and haven't discovered much in the way of promising smaller bands. For me the best album (and live act) of the year has to be Funeral by The Arcade Fire.

Also, where has all the good hard rock gone? I'm done for if the likes of Audioslave and Velvet Revolver are the highlights.

What does everyone else think? :(

devilmunchkin
05-11-2005, 06:08:36
i haven't been buying anything new either..
if anything, i've been slowly buying old stuff that i couldn't buy before

MattHiggs
05-11-2005, 08:26:49
I've discovered quite a few bands I've not heard of this year. Not too sure whether they could be described of as new though:

Bloc Party
Kaiser Chiefs
Bbyshambles (even though I can't stand that fucking twat Pete Doherty)

Gramercy Riffs
08-11-2005, 17:14:20
I agree, there does seem to be a lack of...something...around at the moment.

As for bands like the Kaiser Chiefs, Bloc Party etc, you cant help feeling that its because theres a lack of good stuff around as opposed to the fact that they are actually any good.

I can honestly say the best bands I've seen recently have been "local" bands. Give me New Rhodes, Elle Milano and Pete & The Pirates over Franz,Bloc etc etc any day.

Kitsuki
08-11-2005, 17:21:12
Head Automatica, Kaiser Chiefs, Hard-Fi have all impressed me...

Lazarus and the Gimp
08-11-2005, 17:25:25
Good things from this year-

Bloc Party- "Silent alarm"
Joanna Newsome- "The milk-eyed mender"
The Young Gods- "XXY"
The Raveonettes- "Pretty in black"
Bright Eyes- "Digital ashes in a digital urn"
The Radio Dept.- "Lesser matters"
Martin Grech- "Unholy"

paiktis22
08-11-2005, 17:48:58
I think there are some nice "feel good" tracks that come out, which will be forgotten in a month but are pretty good now and will generate good feelings whenever they are played because they're of good quality. Like kaiser chief hard fi ceasars...

The Norks
08-11-2005, 18:46:41
this year I really liked kaiser chiefs, the killers, and goldfrapp who while not new, I didnt like before. Oh and I liked Gwen Stefani's album too.

Debaser
08-11-2005, 21:30:35
Some great albums that came out this year:

Love Kraft by the Super Furry Animals
The Woods by Sleater-Kinney
Thunder, Lightning, Strike by The Go! Team
Face the Truth by Stephen Malkmus
Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Some albums which I quite like at the moment it's still too soon to tell how good they really are:

The Campfire Headphase by Boards of Canada
Z by My Morning Jacket
For Screening Purposes Only by Test Icicles

Plus loads of people seem to love ablums Arcade Fire, Sigur Rós, Gorillaz, Sufjan Stevens, The Fiery Furnaces etc...

I maintain that every year is great for music if you put a little effort in and listen beyond what you hear on Radio 1.

Nills Lagerbaak
09-11-2005, 09:23:41
This year has been the year of the mightiest progressive medieval folk rock band...circulus.

And yes, I shall be seeing them again with Taint and the awesomely named A nation of Wizards.

Kitsuki
09-11-2005, 10:17:25
Originally posted by The Norks
Oh and I liked Gwen Stefani's album too.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Gramercy Riffs
09-11-2005, 13:00:07
Originally posted by Debaser

For Screening Purposes Only by Test Icicles

Yeah, I liked that when I heard it

Resource Consumer
09-11-2005, 16:56:24
I must be getting old :(

Provost Harrison
11-11-2005, 02:44:05
That's a fact :p Looks like Walrus Feeder is too :D

The Norks
11-11-2005, 18:57:43
ooh and I liked the Gorillaz

Walrus Feeder
11-11-2005, 22:46:41
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
That's a fact :p Looks like Walrus Feeder is too :D Oi, cheeky devil, I may be getting older naturally but my music tastes and outlook are not older than my years!!!
I do like Dare by Gorillaz though, especially the video with Ryder in which has been getting tonnes of airplay on the satellite channels. I just hope no one thinks Robbie Williams' new stuff is any good.

paiktis22
14-11-2005, 19:39:24
It has been a good year for dog music.

Walrus Feeder
14-11-2005, 19:57:23
I can't recall anyone letting the dogs out in 2005.

Provost Harrison
22-11-2005, 21:58:12
Robbie Williams is one of few people on this planet I reserve the word 'cunt' for ;)

paiktis22
23-11-2005, 13:40:58
To not be misunderstood "dogs music" is a particular gem of contemporary greek music with such awe-inspiring lyrics that range from "I'm on my period but there is another way" and "get pregnant with me because I'm very trustworthy" to "shadows can't love because they have no soul" and is considered the paramount of kitch, cheap music specifically designed for truck drivers and not yet home broken peasants that unfortunately have all flooded the attican basin. We expect that as the urbanization process continuous such musical torment will eventually vanish but we are not there yet.

Mr. Bas
23-11-2005, 14:12:57
Sounds like what we call smartlappen here. And trust me, it will not go away, no matter how hard you try. It actually becomes quite enjoyable if you're drunk enough, might work with your music too. :beer:

King_Ghidra
23-11-2005, 14:16:58
system of a down and queens of the stone age have done it for me this year

Mr. Bas
23-11-2005, 14:27:10
That's right, this thread is about this year's music. :)

I didn't think this year was exceptionally poor or good, I've heard a few new bands I like (Bloc Party, Kaiser Chiefs) but I've mostly been listening to somewhat older stuff or bands that have been around for some time. I'd nominate Leviathan by Mastodon as one of the albums of the year, but I suspect it's a 2004 album actually. Agreed about the new QOTSA and especially System of a Down albums, they were both excellent. I've also started to like the Libertines only by this year, shows how out of touch I am. :(

Great EP by Pete and the Pirates BTW. Thanks again Mike! :beer:

Nills Lagerbaak
23-11-2005, 14:42:02
Oh yeah! System of a Down, how could I forget?

Also Hayseed Dixie have blown me away, but album of the year must go to Trivium - Ascendency. There hasn't been a metal album of that calibre since...well...System of a Down :)

Mr. Bas
23-11-2005, 15:04:30
Trivium, eh? I've heard a few songs of theirs, not too bad but a bit too proggy for me. Mastodon blows them out of the water IMHO. :)

Nills Lagerbaak
23-11-2005, 15:07:46
Well, I likes me Prog!

I have heard phenominal things about Mastodon. Might have to pick some up (along with the new public enemy album )

novacane
23-11-2005, 15:59:55
Originally posted by Nills Lagerbaak
Also Hayseed Dixie have blown me away

You're gonna have to clear up whether you're joking.

Aren't they the naff C & W band who cover rock tunes in a C & W style? And the name. Thats a play on AC/DC isn't it? It just sounds bad. I've heard a couple of their tunes while listening to Radio 2.

I'm interested in the counter-opinion.

Funko
23-11-2005, 16:00:40
He's not joking and yes it is them.

Nills Lagerbaak
23-11-2005, 16:11:26
I was rudely awakened by them at glasto, only to have to watch them again later.

Then however I went to see them at a little up close and personal gig, and I realised the lead ukelele player had his redneck dungarees cut off at the knee, like Angus Young, and thereafter I was in love.

Funko
23-11-2005, 16:13:08
:lol:

novacane
23-11-2005, 16:16:49
I've heard enough. :p

Diss
23-11-2005, 17:20:36
2005 has been horrible. In fact, this is the main reason I started listening to classical and jazz music. I just don't like any of the new heavy metal (or whatever they call it now days) music out today. It started going downhill with limp bizkit, and just got worse. But yes, I blame limp bizkit for this fiasco. :D.

And I don't care anymore if I'm not hip anymore because I don't listen to modern music. I'll stick to 80's, 90's, and early 20th century and before music. The only bands I really liked in the 21st century have been system of a down and tool. Cradle of Filth is alright as well.

Diss
23-11-2005, 17:21:23
Oh yeah! System of a Down, how could I forget?

Also Hayseed Dixie have blown me away, but album of the year must go to Trivium - Ascendency. There hasn't been a metal album of that calibre since...well...System of a Down :)

the new system of a down didn't impress me much. I'll stick with their older stuff.

shagnasty
27-11-2005, 15:50:41
Hayseed Dixie have blown me away

Hayseed Dixie is cool for the first 2 or 3 listens, but after that it just feels like you're listening to Weird Al Yankovic.;)

What I've of the Gorillaz is cool, apart from Dare, been played to death on all radio stations.
Kaisers is very good though.