PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed MP3 Player

Snapcase
14-04-2002, 16:59:53
I've never had one of these before. But today I found that PowerDVD can play MP3 files at double speed, half speed, quarter speed... Awesome. Really nice to play around with too. Just litsening to a random sampling of MP3's on this hard drive (er, my Parents' in Sweden) - both stuff I have downloaded and stuff people have sent to me - "revealed" lots of fun stuff:

"I Want to Conquer the World" by Bad Religion is a really good grunge song at half speed.
"Flip Your Face" by the Contortions, which is totally impenetrable on normal speed, becomes a happy-go-lucky pop song at double speed.
"Holidays in Cambodia" sounds like the theme of a 60s action series on double speed.
"Ancient Civilization" by Junior Delgado becomes blues at 1/8 speed.
Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" is actually a really slow Drum and Base track.
"Papercut" by Linkin Park is the only song that actually benefits from being doubled in speed. Wow.
"I wanna be sedated" sounds like it's played on a banjo at double speed.
"Sell My Old Clothes" by Saves the Day makes me physically sick at every speed.
"Instant Repeater 99" by The Soundtrack of our Lives sounds like the kind of thing you'd sing when really drunk at 1/4 speed.
I swear the intro to "Last Nite" by The Strokes is just the theme from Zorba speeded up.
Wire's "12XU" is a pretty decent Metal song at half speed.
"Rubao, o dono de mundo" by Charlie Brown Jr. is one of the coolest rock songs I've ever heard. I'm still trying to track down more brazilian punk...

Wheee! Next: to try it with CDs.

Lazarus and the Gimp
14-04-2002, 17:29:11
Playing My Bloody Valentine songs at slower speeds makes them sound really crushing. Like glaciers colliding.