PDA

View Full Version : BBC Photographer of the Year

Funko
02-11-2005, 10:47:01
Some good ones here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4392574.stm

I really like the kid and the riot police, the monks and the spiral of fish. Not sure which one I'm going to vote for yet.

They are all good though.

King_Ghidra
02-11-2005, 10:54:06
agreed, but i'd take the the kid and the tiny snail over the fish

the picture of the (forth?) bridge is nice too

Funko
02-11-2005, 10:54:57
Yeah, they are both good too.

I voted for the kid and the riot police in the end.

Interestingly the kid and the tiny snail is in joint first place with the fish.

mr.G
02-11-2005, 11:01:12
voted 11, really nice pic
pure art

Drekkus
02-11-2005, 11:05:02
I like the Monks pic. Looks a drawing at first sight.

Funko
02-11-2005, 11:05:42
Yes, that's what I liked about it.

King_Ghidra
02-11-2005, 11:18:57
which is quite an amusing reason to vote for a photo really

Drekkus
02-11-2005, 11:34:19
Why?

zmama
02-11-2005, 12:06:01
Bridge, monks, fish

I think I may go with the monks since its for news photos and not just ART ;)

King_Ghidra
02-11-2005, 12:08:42
because photography as art is often derided because it's easy, i.e. you press the button and hey presto! art! the effort or degree of interpetation on the part of the photographer is arguably less than for a painter or sculptor etc.

so i find it amusing when people say they like a photo because it looks like a painting, because that kind of statement is a boost for that argument

we are hyper-saturated with the photograpic image, but people still have a deep-seated respect or like for the power of interpretation, i.e. the image that does not look like real life

that's a good thing, and it makes me smile

Funko
02-11-2005, 12:15:30
I don't think I agree...

I think that being able to make a photo look like a painting has nothing to do with whether the talent required to take a good photo is any less than that of making a good painting.

I think I'd probably say that using photography to make things not look like real life is a mark against the "photography is easy art" argument because you are demonstrating that there is much more too it than just taking a still image of what is there...

I dunno...

Or, what I was going to post before you responded with that was:

Those Dutchies eh, no sense of humour?

mr.G
02-11-2005, 12:17:51
jesjes we are seriously serious

King_Ghidra
02-11-2005, 12:26:26
the key thing is that people like the image partly because it doesn't look like it is a photograph, i.e. a real image

yes on the one hand that shows the versatility of photography, though i'm not really interested so much in the phtography as art argument, but the important bit for me is that it shows that what people want is not reality, and that is a really important concept

i'm deviating massively here but what the hell

a guy at work was talking about how tougher penalties on users would help to stop drug use. my argument was that the only thing that will stop drug use is to stop people's desire to have a non-sober, 'non-real' experience. as long as people want an alternate, escapist experience, they will want things like drugs and booze and art - and of course that is a fundamental human desire and a good thing

and drekkus' comment echoed that for me

Funko
02-11-2005, 12:34:58
yes on the one hand that shows the versatility of photography, though i'm not really interested so much in the phtography as art argument, but the important bit for me is that it shows that what people want is not reality, and that is a really important concept

Yeah... I agree with that. I don't really agree that it adds weight to the "photography is easy" argument. Because geting unreality out of photos is hard.

Drekkus
02-11-2005, 12:41:49
Bit simplistic to state that liking a picture because it makes you go 'what is this' for a sec to wanting to escape from real life.

I for me am not into the melodramatic over the top symbolism pics of a boy against a massive police force.

The Norks
02-11-2005, 17:06:20
I think photography is harder than traditional art forms precisely because you can't manipulate what's in front of you into being something else, you can only present it in the most original or artistic way. Its very hard to take a good photo when you take into consideration lighting, film type, filters, effects, capturing the moment, structure etc. Bloody hard.

Immortal Wombat
02-11-2005, 20:45:45
I wouldn't say harder, but it's very different. I think the bridge and especially the lighthouse are really good examples of that. A well structured, well lit moment. Then again, the monks picture is exactly the opposite, and still looks great. Maybe because it is so different.

Beta1
02-11-2005, 21:32:07
I would go for the bridge - technically its a fantastic shot. Theres just so many thngs in it that had to be just right to pull it off. The framing is pretty near perfect, its got the horizon half way up the image which is usually a bad idea but the curve of the bridge is such a strong line it pulls the eye up away from the horizon. The bridge supports lie pretty close to the 1/3rd & 2/3rds points across the picture and the bottom two lines of posts nicely contrast the line of the bridge. The water is a great trick too - it looks like the shot has been taken with a long exposure and some thick ND filters to push the exposure up into the seconds. thats what gives the water that smokey look, its probably the helped to make the sky so dramatic too. The unusual almost square crop works well too

Debaser
02-11-2005, 23:12:49
I don't think any of those photos look amazing. You'll see at least 10 better images in any edition of National Geographic.

Colon
02-11-2005, 23:13:05
edit: damn wrong topic

Colon
02-11-2005, 23:17:51
On topic: the picture of the saxophone player is really nice, it's got a rough edge and a nice melancholic atmosphere. The bridge is technically amazing (as Beta said), but a bit too fancy'n smooth to my taste.

King_Ghidra
03-11-2005, 09:03:33
Originally posted by Drekkus
Bit simplistic to state that liking a picture because it makes you go 'what is this' for a sec to wanting to escape from real life.

on the contrary, that is the deep view not the simplistic one

i'm just reading more into your opinions than your are :D

Drekkus
03-11-2005, 12:25:30
There could be way more into it then you read. :p

Funko
03-11-2005, 12:28:10
Originally posted by Debaser
I don't think any of those photos look amazing. You'll see at least 10 better images in any edition of National Geographic.

Yeah, but these are taken by amateurs.

mr.G
03-11-2005, 12:30:38
do you know what professional means in Dutch

Funko
03-11-2005, 12:30:54
Yes.

Debaser
03-11-2005, 12:37:26
I guess I just have a different idea about what a good photo is. These pictures are just pretty clip-art, meaningless fluff. They look nice, and I'm sure they are all technically excellent etc, but what story do they tell? What moment do thay capture? Isn't a picture supposed to be worth a thousand words?

Nills Lagerbaak
03-11-2005, 12:38:46
Hmm, well the monk photo is either crap or excellent.

If, through an ingenius use of filters, lighting conditions etc. the photograper saw the potential to make a photo that looked nothing like a photo, then surely it must be commended.
If, however at the end of developing all his shots he went "oh that one came out wierd and it looks like a painting - I'll enter it into a competition because others will find it wierd" then it's not really clever.

Nills Lagerbaak
03-11-2005, 12:41:44
Originally posted by Debaser
I guess I just have a different idea about what a good photo is. These pictures are just pretty clip-art, meaningless fluff. They look nice, and I'm sure they are all technically excellent etc, but what story do they tell? What moment do thay capture? Isn't a picture supposed to be worth a thousand words?

That's cos there are 2 schools of photographer. One that aims to make beautiful, technical shots and the other that tries to make iconic statements.

Both equally as valid.

fp
03-11-2005, 13:30:40
They are all crap, but #6 at least has hot girls in it. It should have won.

Beta1
03-11-2005, 18:49:57
just to put this into context there were several rounds and themes
DEADLINE: THEMES

CLOSED - My family & friends
CLOSED - Fashion
CLOSED - Power
CLOSED - Work
CLOSED - Environment
CLOSED - Spaces
CLOSED - Final vote

Hopefully some of those pictures make more sense when you see them in context of the theme