PDA

View Full Version : The Exorcist prequels

Lazarus and the Gimp
01-11-2005, 21:20:29
Anyone seen these? You've got "Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist" by Paul Schrader, and "Exorcist: The Beginning" by Renny Harlin.

They use the same story, the same seys, mostly the same actors, and turn out radically different. The Schrader version was rejected by the producers for not being scary enough, and the film was re-shot by Harlin. However "Dominion" has now been released.

The Schrader one is character-driven and focusses firmly on Merrin's crisis of faith, whereas the Harlin version is basically "Indiana Jones meets the Devil!" in SuperBuggerMeOVision CGI meltdown frenzy.

King_Ghidra
02-11-2005, 09:17:50
i can only ask why

Lazarus and the Gimp
02-11-2005, 17:34:01
Funnily enough, I enjoyed both of them. The Schrader one is a very good film, although the CGI and special effects are crap. The Harlin one is inadvertantly hilarious- a great parade of action movie cliches- but it's very well made and shot.

DaShi
07-11-2005, 07:57:44
The Harlin's was closer in style to the original in its portrayal of satan. Schrader's satan was a bit too articulate. But's it's been awhile since I've seen The Beginning. For the first bits, I thought I had bought the wrong DVD.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-11-2005, 19:13:34
Originally posted by DaShi
The Harlin's was closer in style to the original in its portrayal of satan. Schrader's satan was a bit too articulate.

That's what made it effective, for me. Harlin's devil is a grotesque gibbering monster. Schrader's is something far more seductive and over-ripe.